Unions??

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Interesting. The article is vague on real detail though. Costco has both union and non union stores. It offers the non union employees more dollars per hour as a tactic to discourage membership. I'll go out on a limb and say a similar method was in play in this case too.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Okay. I will be the devil. I have no official capacity in the teamster union. Doesn't matter to me or my family. Never a member. Accused of being biased and manipulating the teamsters many times. It is what it is. Doesn't matter to me or my family.

Try to find your real devil. I wish you well.
Your right, it should have read, "up jumps the devils keeper".

I stand corrected.

LeadBelly

Banned
Okay. I will be the devil. I have no official capacity in the teamster union. Doesn't matter to me or my family. Never a member. Accused of being biased and manipulating the teamsters many times. It is what it is. Doesn't matter to me or my family.

Try to find your real devil. I wish you well.
You make money off the Teamsters, so in essence you have an agenda.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The content is controlled and slanted anti-union.

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

A series of experiments in the 1960s suggested that people are biased toward confirming their existing beliefs. Later work re-interpreted these results as a tendency to test ideas in a one-sided way, focusing on one possibility and ignoring alternatives. In certain situations, this tendency can bias people's conclusions. Explanations for the observed biases include wishful thinking and the limited human capacity to process information. Another explanation is that people show confirmation bias because they are weighing up the costs of being wrong, rather than investigating in a neutral, scientific way.

Confirmation biases contribute to overconfidence in personal beliefs and can maintain or strengthen beliefs in the face of contrary evidence. Poor decisions due to these biases have been found in political and organizational contexts.

wkmac

Don't know how bad it would be without them but don't want to find out.

Talking with a few drivers in recent days, concerning 9.5 issues, seems we all but have no union at all for all practical purposes.

Maybe in some sense of your fears, understandable they are, we are already there.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm curious as to why you would have been accused of those things. Were you in mgmt? I've always wondered but it never seemed to be a topic I'd seen anywhere.

What gave you the inspiration for BC? We sure have all benefitted from reading and commenting here. But what were you doing prior to putting it up online? I'm genuinely curious.

If you've answered this before, my apologies. I'd just never seen the back story anywhere. At any rate, thanks for taking the initiative. We all truly appreciate your efforts.
Post from 2007: How did "Brown Cafe" come to be what it is today?

Once upon a time (1999) the only civilized UPS forum was Motley Fool's UPS sub forum. The group there was friendly and knowledgeable and everyone got along fine.

One day a jealous troll known as "ewave" stumbled into the forum. Ewave was jealous of the happy community and amused himself by disrupting it. He liked to announce that the end was near for UPS. In his quest to tear down the Big Brown Corporation he created his own yahoo web page to spread disinformation and promote the union vs. management philosophy which Ewave loved so much.

I was an active participant in the Motley Fool UPS community and spent a lot of time debating Ewave. Coincidently I had spent a couple of years learning to create web pages as a hobby. I was looking for a topic for a new project so I decided to create a web site with exactly the opposite intent of ewave's. Originally browncafe was a homepage account through our isp, then after a couple of months it got so busy that I registered this domain and rented server space.

Although I've never worked for UPS I know the culture well, I have spent my whole life in it. My dad worked for UPS his entire career. My husband worked for UPS 1977 - 2003.

This site is entirely my own creation, no UPS involvement at all. I guess it's really a tribute to my brown blooded dad who had passed away a few years before the site started. This site was up and running before my husband ever knew about it. After he saw it he didn't think it was a very good idea. He was concerned that there might be repercussions for him at work, but no one ever said a negative word about it. He left UPS in 2003.

That's the whole story. In a nutshell this site was created because in 1999 I got ticked off and wanted to show a troll on another forum that our community could create a better, more productive resource for all UPSers than his one sided UPS bashing site... thank you ewave
:wink:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The content is controlled and slanted anti-union.
The content is by the site members ... amazing that UPSers are slanted anti-Union.
Must be just the part-timers, new drivers and retirees.
Perhaps the Teamster's IBT and local Teamster management are out of touch with their member's needs and desires.

Inthegame

One other thing the union should have done was to think of the membership first and make our insurance upon retirement free so to speak and upon turning age 65, instead of losing the union insurance all together, make the union insurance a supplemental policy with Medicare the primary. That's called taking care of your people which builds loyalty and maybe even lead to more employees not just becoming members but other non union workers wanting to become union to enjoy the fruit of that labor.
Free retiree insurance is pretty tough these days and Taft Hartley plans have equal number of management trustees on them. Try to get them to lower retiree rates. Anyway, we do exactly what you've proposed with retiree supplemental insurance post 65 with our independent H&W plan. Some of us get it.

wkmac

Free retiree insurance is pretty tough these days and Taft Hartley plans have equal number of management trustees on them. Try to get them to lower retiree rates. Anyway, we do exactly what you've proposed with retiree supplemental insurance post 65 with our independent H&W plan. Some of us get it.

Good to hear that.