Unions??

wkmac

Are we sure anHourover isn't ewave reincarnate?

LMFAO!!!!

I knew ewave so this makes the above a good knee slapper.

Ewave was many things but he was also good entertainment too. He just hated UPS and too many people tended to take it personal. But then we were literally in the shadow of the 97' strike and there were still a lot of raw nerves on both sides back then. Hard to believe in a few more weeks it will mark 20 years since then. Where does time go

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'd love for you to elaborate on that comment. Please.
I'd like to hear that as well.
I do not believe this site is a hobby, created on a whim.
I think it's a business and good for you truly.

How many other sites do you have or sold?

Google Ads: What Are Google Ads & How Do They Work? | WordStream

I never realized it until I inadvertently landed in the site without being logged in and saw a banner ad with the shoes I had previously looked at on Zappos website.

It was then that I realized on this site, those who log in and post, see a different screen than those who just surf and lurk.

Wonder why it is that we who post (the talent) aren't exposed to those ads, like those who don't have an account (revenue producers)?

Again, I am not claiming that anything nefarious is going on here (aside from one Moderator who uses his position and the site in direct conflict to the TOS and fair play), rather that it is one of many sites that operate for profit.

Last edited:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

I never realized it until I inadvertently landed in the site without being logged in and saw a banner ad with the shoes I had previously looked at on Zappos website.

It was then that I realized, on this site, those who log in and post see a different screen than those who just surf and lurk.

Wonder why it is that we who post (the talent) aren't exposed to those ads, like those who don't have an account (revenue producers)?

Again, I am not claiming that anything nefarious is going on here (aside from one Moderator who uses his position and the site in direct conflict to the TOS and fair play), rather one of many sites that operate for profit.
SMH. I started this site to make money?

I started this as a project when I was learning to create websites. I had no expectation of making money from it. None at all. I had no expectation that it would take off and be around this long.

I have never created and sold a website. I made a few websites for relatives and one for a community group. Selling websites is not something I am interested in.

I bought one that's a parenting support group because I went there and the members there helped me. The owner was going to shut it down because it was costing her so much to pay to have it maintained. I bought it from her because I knew how to maintain it myself for free.

What I do have that may be worth some money are domains. I think I have 30 or so domains many that I've owned for many many years. There are at least 10 that are pretty good. I've only ever sold one and that was many years ago because someone offered me a decent price for it. That has nothing to do with this site, just throwing it out there.

This site now does generate a small profit but for the many years I paid most of the expenses out of my own pocket.

As far as making members view ads: I'd make more money. Ads were set up that way here a few years ago. The ads annoyed me. That's why I'm not making the members view ads. Lurkers that never register pay the bills here. That works well enough for me.

wkmac

It was then that I realized on this site, those who log in and post, see a different screen than those who just surf and lurk.

Again, I am not claiming that anything nefarious is going on here (aside from one Moderator who uses his position and the site in direct conflict to the TOS and fair play), rather that it is one of many sites that operate for profit.

As for this site being a money maker as opposed to a hobby, for the sake of discussion I'll assume you weren't around when BC began as clearly in those early days Cheryl was making no money and was paying out of pocket. Pop up ads were yet to come so BC was little more than a bulletin board. As for profiting now, if you and I never see the ads when we are logged in, what difference does it make if she makes some scratch from non members to keep this going?

As for mods stretching the boundaries, in the case of one, there are times I might agree with you. Maybe the best way to address that is to understand how this might go down from time to time and not let yourself get pulled into it.

I've seen one person specifically come into Current Events making claims about that forum, even in other forums, and then this person turns around and does those exact things in other forums.

Current Events like any forum has its warts but this person at times makes sport of it so I just wrote it off as hypocrisy and a bit of projecting his/her true personality. I suspect it possible that you and I are speaking of the same person.

Again, don't take the bait is the best solution.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

Okay, I'll go full transparency. This is the tax return that includes all ad revenue from this forum and the parent support forum I admin.

Cha ching!!!

tax-return.png

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As for this site being a money maker as opposed to a hobby, for the sake of discussion I'll assume you weren't around when BC began as clearly in those early days Cheryl was making no money and was paying out of pocket. Pop up ads were yet to come so BC was little more than a bulletin board. As for profiting now, if you and I never see the ads when we are logged in, what difference does it make if she makes some scratch from non members to keep this going?

As for mods stretching the boundaries, in the case of one, there are times I might agree with you. Maybe the best way to address that is to understand how this might go down from time to time and not let yourself get pulled into it.

I've seen one person specifically come into Current Events making claims about that forum, even in other forums, and then this person turns around and does those exact things in other forums.

Current Events like any forum has its warts but this person at times makes sport of it so I just wrote it off as hypocrisy and a bit of projecting his/her true personality. I suspect it possible that you and I are speaking of the same person.

Again, don't take the bait is the best solution.
You must have missed where I posted "I think it's a business and good for you truly" and "Again, I am not claiming that anything nefarious is going on here"?

As far as how it began and what it is, many businesses operate at a loss in the beginning, only to realize significant, sustainable profit.
I believe they call it speculating?

In regards to the rest of your post, I was for sure "that guy" when I came here.
I like to think that I am doing much better, but will consider that I may still have some work to do at times.

I appreciate your comments.

wkmac

You must have missed where I posted "I think it's a business and good for you truly" and "Again, I am not claiming that anything nefarious is going on here"?

As far as how it began and what it is, many businesses operate at a loss in the beginning, only to realize significant, sustainable profit.
I believe they call it speculating?

In regards to the rest of your post, I was for sure "that guy" when I came here.
I like to think that I am doing much better, but will consider that I may still have some work to do at times.

I appreciate your comments.

Just a clarification, you were not the person I was speaking of. Just wanted to clarify.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Okay, I'll go full transparency. This is the tax return that includes all ad revenue from this forum and the parent support forum I admin.

Cha ching!!!

View attachment 145046
Nice try, but....

@Monkey Butt already established last night, before he got his Ash thoroughly handed to him in this very thread (and then deleted the whole exchange), that pictures on this site are often photoshopped and prove nothing.

BTW, at the risk of questioning a moderator decision on an open forum, why were those posts deleted, considering @Monkey Butt admittedly started the exchange of his own volition, in search of a "tit-for-tat" dynamic?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Nice try, but....

@Monkey Butt already established last night, before he got his Ash thoroughly handed to him (and deleted the whole exchange), that pictures on this site are often photoshopped and prove nothing.

BTW, at the risk of questioning a moderator decision on an open forum, why were those posts deleted, considering @Monkey Butt admittedly started the exchange of his own volition, in search of a "tit-for-tat" dynamic?
So your accusing me of photoshopping the tax return? Wow. Okay. I give up. You're on my ignore list.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So your accusing me of photoshopping the tax return? Wow. Okay. I give up. You're on my ignore list.
It was joke, slap stick to @Monkey Butt from last night.

Didn't you read the whole post, or are you deflecting as to not answer the question?

Lighten up please.
Perhaps I should have included an emoji?

Last edited:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

Cha ching!!!

View attachment 145046

LMAO!!!

We should have made it a union job her wages SUCK.. Although, she (we) were never in it for the $.

This is her passion.. creating a valuable community for people and still is even for those who throw stones.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
LMAO!!!

We should have made it a union job her wages SUCK.. Although, she (we) were never in it for the $.

This is her passion.. creating a valuable community for people and still is even for those who throw stones.
It must true?

It actually does explain why she would allow a moderator use the site as his personal playground, with no regard to consistency, taking advantage of privileges afforded those behind the firewall to stir various pots.

This really does explain a lot.
With so little income, I'm sure the free labor is enticing, even if it is from a technologically savy virtual sociopath.

Thank you for the time taken to explain it to me and the unnecessary transparency exhibited.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Come on Bubble, stop moving the goalposts.
I'm not moving the goal posts, rather connecting the dots, while thinking out loud?

After all, this is an internet chat room/blog, right?

You would think someone who created such a thing would understand the dynamics of such a "community"?