United Way

Ruralbrownman

Since I started at UPS 24 years ago , I have always given $8 a week to the same local agency , a safe house for battered and abused women and children.

That being said , I have a problem with how UPS , at least in our buuilding , has gone about presenting the United Way campaign. When I first started at UPS the United Way campaign was a big deal. The local UW office came and made a presentation and a nice breakfast was laid out. Don't get me wrong , the breakfast was nice , but it was not a selling point to me , however it made the event seem special. There was usually upper management people in the building that morning , also. There was even a few years that drivers , who wanted to , would go with the local UW people to one or two of their agencies and make a nice presentation. Over the years the UW people have been given less and less time to make their presentation. Last year the manager in our building even cut off the speaker using the line , and I quote , " My drivers have to get on the street". Now this year , we were just handed the pledge cards and asked to fill them out and turn them in. Very Sad!!

Now I know the reasons for giving thru UPS and the most important is the matching funds. I struggled to give thru UPS last year after the RUDE display by the center manager and this I will not be giving thru UPS. I will write the check out and mail it to the agency of my choice and add a little extra for the matching funds. I hope that UPS'ers do not stop giving to the United Way because there is a lot of need out there for the contributions that are given and we are lucky to a good enough job and make enough money to help support the local agencies. If you have hard feelings toward UPS , please don't take it out the agencies. They do need the contributions!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPSTATE

You don't call being brought into your center manager's office separately to hear the speech arm twisting ?? I know I do, and I'm sure everyone at BrownCafe would say the same. Obviously, your center manager is under the gun to raise the centers' UW contributions and doing it the wrong way.

Anytime we contribute, it should be anonomously as it can. To have anyone in management staring at you watching you write down your contribution should be illegal. There is pressure there to increase it so you don't look like a non-caring low life.

I know you well enough, and I know your name was going to be on the United Way Gold Star Wall of Fame in your building regardless of you entering the center manager's office or not. Because your arm wasn't twisted doesn't mean everyone elses wasn't.:whatever:

Do you really know me or just my online persona?

8up

i have given every year since i can remember being asked to give. at first is was the old $1/wk. then a customer told me how a UW funded agency had helped the family during a crisis. the next year i increased my giving, $2/wk. a couple of years went by then my daughter got involved as a volunteer with a group that applied for and recieved UW funding. again i increased my giving. a couple of years ago i got involved as a volunteer and again i increased my giving. now in a position to see where my directed giving goes, how it is used and i don't need a reciept, i know how the funds are being used. so i give 10x/wk what i use to through payroll deduction, i give to church, i buy the GS cookies, softball candybars, BS popcorn and i give several hours per month. one thing comes to mind....if i hadn't walked in the front door and asked for this job, i would probably not be able to do any of these things to help others. and i hope that i never have to ask for help.
thank you

tieguy

Banned
I feel the UW does a great deal of good but don't donate. Too much administration gobbling up the funds.

We give directly to the charities of our choice. We adopt all of our pets from the humane societies, drop dollars upon dollars into the Salvation kettles, stop and buy overpriced candy bars to help an organization and send some bucks to the well known organizations who send requests. We buy gifts for nursing home residents from our area grocery store at Christmas time and extra food for the food pantry barrel. After Chistmas I buy up lots of marked-down toys and save them for the next year. Unused clothing and household items go to Salvation Army or an area thrift store.

Lots of giving can go on in small ways. Whatever way suits you is the best way to give. My issue with UPS is the glory that the company takes in collected funds. Humililty? I don't think so, they blow their horn and try to out-do other centers in collections.

We all do those things as we make our rounds. I still give to my favorite charity through united way. Some will speak of giving directly to that charity but reality is that those charities don't collect enough funds if they solely rely on walk in donations. People are not disciplined enough to make sure they give direct every month. Thus the need for a professional charitable collection agency to expedite the process.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, what YOU may consider a BS excuse (for anything) may be a valid reason to the other person. Just because YOU think something doesn't make it so.
To use your own analogy, You have BS excuses in all walks of life including UPS management on why they won't/can't/didn't (insert your favorite failure).

Tex I'm not sure why you make this point. It is a message board and its desgined to collect my opinion which is that blaming ups is a bs excuse. If you google message boards you should be albe to read up on them and better understand their purpose.

Mike Hawk

People are not disciplined enough to make sure they give direct every month. Thus the need for a professional charitable collection agency to expedite the process.
Do these "people" need someone else to pay their mortgage for them every month, perhaps tie their shoes as well?

DS

Fenderbender
we had a near perfect day monday but for 2 10:30's late...no missed deliveries and no missed scans and only 12 hours overallowed for about 60 drivers( our center manager likes to share his problems)we get a message today,they are having a breakfast barbeque tomorrow for the united way....thanks

Tex I'm not sure why you make this point. It is a message board and its desgined to collect my opinion which is that blaming ups is a bs excuse. If you google message boards you should be albe to read up on them and better understand their purpose.
I'm well acquainted with the purpose of message boards, they used to be called Opinion Boards but people got tired of being told the line about "opinions are like ********, everyone has one but they all stink". However you'r idea of the purpose seems to be that you can hide behind the moniker and insinuate people are "cheap *******" for having (in their own opinion) a valid reason for not giving to the UW.
And I have a news flash for ya. This board was not created to collect YOUR opinion, it was created for UPSers to come here and share info and sometimes vent or it wouldn't be called the "Browncafe" it would be the "TieCafe".

Last edited by a moderator:

hyena

I'm well acquainted with the purpose of message boards, they used to be called Opinion Boards but people got tired of being told the line about "opinions are like ********, everyone has one but they all stink". However you'r idea of the purpose seems to be that you can hide behind the moniker and insinuate people are "cheap *******" for having (in their own opinion) a valid reason for not giving to the UW.
And I have a news flash for ya. This board was not created to collect YOUR opinion, it was created for UPSers to come here and share info and sometimes vent or it wouldn't be called the "Browncafe" it would be the "TieCafe".
well said opinions thats what makes us different tieguy, well that and the fact that you sit behind a desk and try to pretend like you know whats going on. See perhaps if you knew what hard work was, for little money, then you might understand why some of us cant make donations

tieguy

Banned

ah but tex it really does appear you did not understand the purpose of a message board since you questioned my posting my opinion on the board as if I was not allowed to do so. You sure you don't want to do a google search and learn the purpose of these boards?

tieguy

Banned
well said opinions thats what makes us different tieguy, well that and the fact that you sit behind a desk and try to pretend like you know whats going on. See perhaps if you knew what hard work was, for little money, then you might understand why some of us cant make donations

Come see me when you near thirty years with this company and tell me what you have done and we'll see if you measure up. the fact that you are on the bosses crap list after only two years tells me you won't make it.

hyena

Come see me when you near thirty years with this company and tell me what you have done and we'll see if you measure up. the fact that you are on the bosses crap list after only two years tells me you won't make it.
Thats fine that you see it that way. IM not going anywhere. I will be here the for the next 30 years. It will be bosses like I have that wont sooner or later theyll get caught in their own web. As for your 30 years do you have it due to back stabbing and ********? Is that how you got where you are? I dont play that game! Im sure your arm twisting of your employees to donate to UW helped to didnt it? I will win through hard work and dedication! If you get where you are without working for it your the one who has cheated! See you guys dont like it when people fight back do you? Get off your power trip!

Last edited by a moderator:

FAVREFAN

Can I have automatic payroll deduction for the Salvation Army or Food For The Poor? I'd much rather give to them. Or wait, that wouldn't fit into UPS's PR campaign of being the #1 contributor to United Way. I give a small amount towards UW each week but give 10 times that yearly to the above mentioned charities because they actually feed, clothe and shelter people rather than spend large chunks of donations on professional athletes camps and get togethers. I really don't give a rats ass if a kid gets to go to a camp and meet some over paid prick athlete who couldn't teach a kid a thing about real life because they have no idea what the rest of us do on a daily basis. I do want that child to get a good meal, medical care and a clean set of bedsheets for the night. Too much of UW's money is spent on B.S. Just my opinion.
Seriously though, do we have the option to opt out of the UW in favor of another charity? Thanks, Peace.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The last post gave me an interesting thought. UPS always wants to be #1 at everything it does and always strives to be the best at whatever obstacle is in front of them. Since we all know about their "numbers" game, why would they split the donation pot ?
I really can't see them doing that and risking this following advertisment :

UPS ---- #5 contributor to the United Way
UPS ---- #17 contributor to the Salvation Army
UPS --- #157 contributor to your nearest food pantry

Those don't sound like champion numbers. Just add them all together and be #1 at one thing. Just my 2 cents (that I'm not donating)