United Way

tieguy

Banned
Can I have automatic payroll deduction for the Salvation Army or Food For The Poor? I'd much rather give to them. Or wait, that wouldn't fit into UPS's PR campaign of being the #1 contributor to United Way.

yes you can designate your contribution to the salvation army. I give everything towards my favorite charity through united way. I like the convience of payroll deduction. I'm an electronic bill payment kind of guy. I don't like writing checks each month and mailing them off and hoping the post office does not lose my check. Same thing with UW they make it easy for me to help my favorite charity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tie, I think you may have missed his point. He wants to have money from his paycheck transferred directly to Salvation Army, not through UW, much the same as we can have funds deducted for credit union or child support.

LiL"Comet"

:its_all_good:Granted there's scandals?? with uw but the reality is theres that possibilty with anything you can probably think of when comes to something such as charitable donations and there specific organizations. I do myself give to united way every year, when i was 17 my mom died of cancer and hospice came in and helped (only for 3 days) but in those 3 days those people helped me tremeandously. So my money goes to local hospice and every October we do a walk that UPS pays the $20 registration fee for anyone who wants to come and walk in the Susan Coleman race for the cure. I am a management person i am responsiable for getting all my uw cards signed by my employees, i dont use these pressure tatics you guys talk about, i dont have to. If someone chooses to give they give if they dont they dont that's how i feel about it. I guess it depends on where your at but i know as a supervisor you can get more bee's w/ honey than vinager. Whatever floats your own boats.

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
I give to my local church, a bunch of guys at my center do the same, so our center does pretty badly on donations. One guy, though, that we have, accidentally donated $10.00 a week for his entire first year (when he was making $8.50). He meant to donate $10.00 just one time. I don't know why he didn't tell them he wanted to stop donating, I guess he didn't want to look like a tight wad, his second year he volunteered the $3.25 average that the hub was asking for, but half way through the year it occurred to him that he already gave to charity through his church, so he asked to stop donating.

Brownnblue

Some will speak of giving directly to that charity but reality is that those charities don't collect enough funds if they solely rely on walk in donations. People are not disciplined enough to make sure they give direct every month. Thus the need for a professional charitable collection agency to expedite the process.

How do you know this? What are you basing this on? I do volunteer work as a bookkeeper for a local charitable organization and I can honestly say that the vast majority of contributors are very consistent with both their monthly & yearly giving.

Now I'm not going to sit here and use the deplorably arrogant VTBrown "I win any argument because I say so" method of debate. But I can say that in my little corner of the world, inconsistent giving is not a problem.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Everybody gets an end of year statement.

dillweed

I have to agree that payroll deductions are great for those who don't have the time or desire to write checks and track down the food pantry barrels. Many of our younger employees don't even go to the places where donations are solicited (sp?) but they have good hearts and are glad to donate in some way.

The thing that gripes me is the hounding from UPS. Last year I signed my paper with $0 contribution. Next day I was offered another paper in case I had changed my mind. No thanks. Next day I was brought yet another paper to sign and declined. Didn't feel a morsel of guilt because I still feel that the whole shebang is designed to make UPS look good on paper. bleh, I'll choose my own charities and give directly.

Thanks to those who donate their time, which is more valuable than any amount of money. Those who donate time get much more satisfaction and wisdom than any amount of cash coud offer.

FAVREFAN

yes you can designate your contribution to the salvation army. I give everything towards my favorite charity through united way. I like the convience of payroll deduction. I'm an electronic bill payment kind of guy. I don't like writing checks each month and mailing them off and hoping the post office does not lose my check. Same thing with UW they make it easy for me to help my favorite charity.
So you're saying I can have money withdrawn through payroll deduction to UW and then tell them to send it to The Salvation Army? And how do I know they aren't keeping it? I want to send it to The Salvation Army directly. Can I do that? Thanks, Peace.

ah but tex it really does appear you did not understand the purpose of a message board since you questioned my posting my opinion on the board as if I was not allowed to do so. You sure you don't want to do a google search and learn the purpose of these boards?
Wrong again Tie (this is getting to be a bad habit for you). I fully do understand the purpose of THIS message board, although I'm not sure YOU do. Regardless, my post was not about what read, or was stated, as your opinion but what read to be fact. "Don't use ups as an excuse to not give. Don't give because you don't like united way or don't give because you're a cheap bastard or don't give because you help your community in some other way. But don't use ups as an excuse just because they are gung ho on helping the less fortunate."

The bold type does not read as an opinion. It reads as an attempt to demean people that do not want the donate to their bosses favorite cause.

The underlined does read as an opinion, so I will follow with MY opinion.

UPS is gung ho in making UPS look as good as possible in the public eye and has enjoyed one of the top rankings with the UW for several years (as I have been told). IMHO, if UPS was really gung ho in helping the less fortunate, you would see and hear of Tieguy working the serving line at the local soup kitchen or
ringing the bells @ Christmas time for the Salvation Army. I haven't seen or even heard of any of my management people doing one thing to help in areas that their time is more valuable than money.

chev

Nightcrawler
I give everything towards my favorite charity through united way. I like the convience of payroll deduction. I'm an electronic bill payment kind of guy. I don't like writing checks each month and mailing them off and hoping the post office does not lose my check. Same thing with UW they make it easy for me to help my favorite charity.
This is the reason I like to give through UW. If you don't want to give, then by all means, don't. I just find it easier to donate in smaller amounts each week. (1$ is a joke....Why bother.)
People really need to have a spirit of giving. Don't ever give because you feel pressured into it. Give because you want to from the heart. If United Way turns you off, then pick a charity and find a way to give to them directly.
I know a lot of you probably get pressure from your sup to donate. Just tell them you choose to do charity in other ways and leave it at that. I guess I am lucky. My boss just gives us the card and asks for it back in a week no matter if or what we give. I choose to donate to one specific charity each year and always receive correspondance from them.:peaceful:

Ms.PacMan

Bumping up an old thread to ask a question.

When do contributions begin and end? Campaign to campaign or 1/1 - 12/31?

My last contribution amount is still the amount they are taking out. I changed the contribution amount so shouldn't it have changed back in August/September?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Bumping up an old thread to ask a question.

When do contributions begin and end? Campaign to campaign or 1/1 - 12/31?

My last contribution amount is still the amount they are taking out. I changed the contribution amount so shouldn't it have changed back in August/September?

Pretty sure it starts January 1.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should see the new amount on your first paycheck in 2009, which may or may not coincide with January 1st. It all depends where the 1st falls during the pay period.

CRASH501

Not a dime from me.
I do more than my share of volunteering in my community.
I also deliver in a urban neighborhood and take care of the homeless and junkies that are constantly begging for $$$.

tieguy

Banned
Not a dime from me.
I do more than my share of volunteering in my community.
I also deliver in a urban neighborhood and take care of the homeless and junkies that are constantly begging for $$$.

good for you. I never begrudged someone who chose not give to UW but was heavily involved in their community.

I try to forget about any tactics that seem pushy. What matters is what a person is really doing. I choose to designate my contributions to a really good cause called Teen Challenge. This is an organization that helps people who are struggeling with addiction. Everyone of us is fortunate right now to work for UPS who is not laying off and is still staying afloat during dificult financial times. This is a nice way to give back.

RedThunder

UPS will match personal contributions from employees to charities. It has to be certain kinds, don't remember the rules that the charity has to meet to qualify. I will try to look up and post a link. Everyone should take advantage of this. They will match dollar for dollar up to 3K.