Unjust / progressive discipline

oldngray

nowhere special
But what exactly are you putting in the grievance? Surely it's not just, "I disagree with this warning letter". What exactly would you write? Use getting caught not wearing UPS socks as an example. What would you say?
Ask your steward to help you fill out the grievance.

scoutlover

Ask your steward to help you fill out the grievance.
Our steward doesn't really help on the "caught red handed" ones. That's why I was asking. I almost started a thread asking about that but then saw this one. It doesn't pertain to me, I've just noticed a lot of warning letters of late and no one is grieving them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our steward doesn't really help on the "caught red handed" ones. That's why I was asking. I almost started a thread asking about that but then saw this one. It doesn't pertain to me, I've just noticed a lot of warning letters of late and no one is grieving them.

Your steward is a wise man.

O

OLDMAN3

But what exactly are you putting in the grievance? Surely it's not just, "I disagree with this warning letter". What exactly would you write? Use getting caught not wearing UPS socks as an example. What would you say?
You can still grieve the discipline if you feel it in unusually harsh for a slight offence, or if they failed to use progressive discipline, or if you feel it is harassment/treated differently than others for same offence.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can still grieve the discipline if you feel it in unusually harsh for a slight offence, or if they failed to use progressive discipline, or if you feel it is harassment/treated differently than others for same offence.

In other words, you can screw up and then try to hide behind the contract.

Bottom rung

I seem to remember that you have been accused of 'hiding behind the contract' once or twice.

Care to share the details or categorically deny?

Attachments

• 1412904912257.jpg
    1412904912257.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 116

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Grieve,every single warning letter,no matter what.
Only ever had one stick,and yes it was justified. The rest got thrown away,like they should have!
Maybe it's just me but I think a warning letter seems harsh for not blowing a horn. Granted if we all followed the methods perfectly, there would be no need for the safety rides or observations but as humans and adults, we also know that the methods will never be followed perfectly.

It's like the company wants to get the packages deliver at all costs but yet they will do everything in their power to discipline and get rid of drivers. Then again, I just had an epiphany..that could be part of the master plan, then they would save billions not having to pay full rate with all the turnover.

Maybe it's just me but I think a warning letter seems harsh for not blowing a horn. Granted if we all followed the methods perfectly, there would be no need for the safety rides or observations but as humans and adults, we also know that the methods will never be followed perfectly.

It's like the company wants to get the packages deliver at all costs but yet they will do everything in their power to discipline and get rid of drivers. Then again, I just had an epiphany..that could be part of the master plan, then they would save billions not having to pay full rate with all the turnover.
Different rules applied,unevenly.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Is this the best they could come up with ?? The Horn !!!! Please are these the same morons who ate loads last peak ,lied to the customers, took on to much work, let drivers stay out till 10 pm fudged all kinds of numbers !!!! I would of torn it up in the little deebs face !!!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A warning letter is just something to wipe your :censored2: with.

A warning letter is the first step, in progressive discipline.

It's not wise to blow it off.

Always protest every warning letter with a grievance.

Whatever ever happened to taking responsibility for one's mistakes?

Protesting the company's position, is your contractual right.

They have been known to make mistakes.

And if the issue progresses, the first question an arbitrator or a Panel would ask....

Did you protest the warning letter ? If not, why ?

It wouldn't help your case.... if you said, you deserved it.

Discharge or suspension must be by proper written notice to the

employee as per current practice. The proper written notice will also

be given to the Local Union and may be transmitted electronically.

I was wondering why you highlighted that.

??

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
A warning letter is the first step, in progressive discipline.

It's not wise to blow it off.

Always protest every warning letter with a grievance.

Protesting the company's position, is your contractual right.

They have been known to make mistakes.

And if the issue progresses, the first question an arbitrator or a Panel would ask....

Did you protest the warning letter ? If not, why ?

It wouldn't help your case.... if you said, you deserved it.

I was wondering why you highlighted that.

??

-Bug-
It really does no good. Unless they withdraw it, you still have a warning letter. Protesting it does not stop the next step in progressive discipline.

Yes, grieve the stupid ones. But if you are observed by 2 management people not wearing your seatbelt, grieving that warning letter could bring that big spotlight right over your head. I sure hope you do everything by the methods or there will be more warning letters coming your way.

And if you are not worried because you do everything by the book, why did you get a warning letter for in the first place? I'm sure you know how vindiction management can be.