Unrestricted Power via The RLA

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The passage of the streamlined FAA Reauthorization Act and the delay in dealing with the FedEx language clause has put the union issue on the back burner...for now. Fred has essentially been granted a temporary reprieve because the issue is a stalemate in Congress.

Now that there isn't going to be a union any time soon, look what FedEx has done in the form of ramping-up the demands upon us. And it isn't going to stop. As FedEx2000 (a manager) pointed-out recently, if you don't perform up to expectations, you'll be gone. This means even more pressure to drive fast, cut corners on methods, and sort pkgs or do pickups while you're supposed to be on break. This is what they want...free labor, at least during what's supposed to be your 28/29 or 13/14.

There are some couriers who will always be able to make their numbers, but there are many others who are going to have to cheat in order to do it. As the overall quality of employee gets progressively lower, the incidence of trying to "beat the system" is bound to increase sharply.

The irony of this is that you can't fulfill the vaunted Purple Promise to the customer, nor can you be safe out there. How many of us are going to be killed or injured by having to continuously do unsafe things just to keep our jobs? Worse, how about the general public? If it comes down to speeding through a residential area, or losing your job, most people are going to speed. I can just see it now, with a courier driving like crazy on a 25 mph street, trying to find that address, when some unsuspecting child is in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's 10:27, you must not have any lates, and the driver is in full panic mode because they cannot afford another OLCC.

It's impossible to be safe for most of us under the current conditions in place at FedEx. I hope that the company is hit with huge lawsuits if and when a tragedy occurs, because their insane drive for production and profit underlies all of this. The unrestricted power of the RLA continues, and they will never stop increasing demands until we have a means of saying no.

vantexan

The passage of the streamlined FAA Reauthorization Act and the delay in dealing with the FedEx language clause has put the union issue on the back burner...for now. Fred has essentially been granted a temporary reprieve because the issue is a stalemate in Congress.

Now that there isn't going to be a union any time soon, look what FedEx has done in the form of ramping-up the demands upon us. And it isn't going to stop. As FedEx2000 (a manager) pointed-out recently, if you don't perform up to expectations, you'll be gone. This means even more pressure to drive fast, cut corners on methods, and sort pkgs or do pickups while you're supposed to be on break. This is what they want...free labor, at least during what's supposed to be your 28/29 or 13/14.

There are some couriers who will always be able to make their numbers, but there are many others who are going to have to cheat in order to do it. As the overall quality of employee gets progressively lower, the incidence of trying to "beat the system" is bound to increase sharply.

The irony of this is that you can't fulfill the vaunted Purple Promise to the customer, nor can you be safe out there. How many of us are going to be killed or injured by having to continuously do unsafe things just to keep our jobs? Worse, how about the general public? If it comes down to speeding through a residential area, or losing your job, most people are going to speed. I can just see it now, with a courier driving like crazy on a 25 mph street, trying to find that address, when some unsuspecting child is in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's 10:27, you must not have any lates, and the driver is in full panic mode because they cannot afford another OLCC.

It's impossible to be safe for most of us under the current conditions in place at FedEx. I hope that the company is hit with huge lawsuits if and when a tragedy occurs, because their insane drive for production and profit underlies all of this. The unrestricted power of the RLA continues, and they will never stop increasing demands until we have a means of saying no.

But don't we have the right to have a national vote under current RLA rules that only requires a simple majority of participating employees voting yes?

And aren't you using a bit of hyperbole here? FedEx would be shooting themselves in the foot(and worse), forcing employees to be unsafe to keep their jobs. Accidents, especially involving death, will incur huge lawsuit settlements. And constant turnover will incur huge hiring costs. And guess what? The poor pay and benefits won't attract the quality employees who built this company. It's reflected in the equipment we use. With the power pads and the ROADS system FedEx is acknowledging it must keep the job as simple as possible to attract newhires. But will it keep them? Anyone who's serious about providing his family a good future will see through the propaganda soon enough and start looking for something better. And soon enough the economy will improve and better options will come around. And of course FedEx will respond by raising starting pay, disrespecting those who've loyally worked for them for years for much less than top pay.

FedEx2000

Employees losing their jobs b/c they don't perform up to a standard is nothing new....in the past though, many of them just slid by b/c their mgr didn't do anything about it. As a self-proclaimed "7" courier, shouldn't you be glad that the people who are dogging it are being held accountable, and hopefully will start carrying their weight so the ones who do it right everyday don't have to take it on? It's not like the goals are some unrealistic number pulled from the sky by your engineer/mgr as they may have been in the past....it's demonstrated performance, you've already shown that you can do it.

As far as the speeding/being unsafe etc....no manager is/should be telling you or anyone to do that, that is just a cop out. I was a courier long enough to know that it can be done, and done right, while still hitting your numbers without killing yourself.....and I have plenty of people in my workgroup to prove it. Some people just aren't cut out for the job, such as the cubicle dwellers in MEM, as well as some of the people currently employed as couriers. It's not rocket science, but some people just can't seem to figure it out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Employees losing their jobs b/c they don't perform up to a standard is nothing new....in the past though, many of them just slid by b/c their mgr didn't do anything about it. As a self-proclaimed "7" courier, shouldn't you be glad that the people who are dogging it are being held accountable, and hopefully will start carrying their weight so the ones who do it right everyday don't have to take it on? It's not like the goals are some unrealistic number pulled from the sky by your engineer/mgr as they may have been in the past....it's demonstrated performance, you've already shown that you can do it.

As far as the speeding/being unsafe etc....no manager is/should be telling you or anyone to do that, that is just a cop out. I was a courier long enough to know that it can be done, and done right, while still hitting your numbers without killing yourself.....and I have plenty of people in my workgroup to prove it. Some people just aren't cut out for the job, such as the cubicle dwellers in MEM, as well as some of the people currently employed as couriers. It's not rocket science, but some people just can't seem to figure it out.

I have no problem making my numbers, but a lot of new people do. Throw-in the fact that they are being forced to go out way over standard makes safety a big issue. 20 to 30 over an established 195 is realistic? Get real.

The speeding/unsafe deal is a cop-out on your part. Of course, no manager is going to tell you to go out there and speed. What they do tell you is to "be safe" after they've just sent you out the door way over standard. It happens all the time. FedEx pushes people up to and beyond their breaking point, and when and if there is an accident, the company will do everything in it's power to throw the employee under the bus and walk away. It's freaking everywhere at FedEx..."Be Safe", "Don't Speed", and on and on. You can put-up all the stupid posters and slogans you want, but pushing couriers beyond safe workloads is inviting an acicident.

Given the lower calibre of employee we get these days, can you really expect them to be both productive and safe? Probably not.

quadro

Well, don't we?
Yes we do, you are correct. The problem is that no union is willing to spend the money and take the risk. It is, after all, a business decision for them. Don't for a moment think they've got your best interests at heart. If it doesn't make financial sense for them they won't do it. Even though the rule changed, if they believe that enough employees will vote no then they won't go after a vote.

FedEx2000

I have no problem making my numbers, but a lot of new people do. Throw-in the fact that they are being forced to go out way over standard makes safety a big issue. 20 to 30 over an established 195 is realistic? Get real.

The speeding/unsafe deal is a cop-out on your part. Of course, no manager is going to tell you to go out there and speed. What they do tell you is to "be safe" after they've just sent you out the door way over standard. It happens all the time. FedEx pushes people up to and beyond their breaking point, and when and if there is an accident, the company will do everything in it's power to throw the employee under the bus and walk away. It's freaking everywhere at FedEx..."Be Safe", "Don't Speed", and on and on. You can put-up all the stupid posters and slogans you want, but pushing couriers beyond safe workloads is inviting an acicident.

Given the lower calibre of employee we get these days, can you really expect them to be both productive and safe? Probably not.

First off, I never said going out 20-30 over is realistic. If there are multiple routes going out 20-30 over everyday, your mgr would be getting hammered by his sr/director b/c your service has to be crap. You can justify using P1 overflow if the stops are there, no mgr wants to be on the AM war call getting questioned about why their service is terrible by their director/MT3. I don't believe for a minute that your mgr is ok with taking 20-60 lates a day from 2-3 routes, and isn't doing anything about it.....if so, he won't/shouldn't be around much longer.

Do you know anyone who has gotten a WL/PR or fired for having lates?? I don't...but I know plenty that were fired b/c they kept getting into accidents. YOU choose to speed/cut corners, most do this b/c their methods are sloppy, your mgr isn't driving the truck. If you make your SPH/Onroad and have lates, nothing is going to happen unless you do something intentionally/stupid to cause cause them and it can be proven.

I disagree about new hires not being able to hit their goals. The last 3 I have hired are some of the best performers in the station. Sure, they had their struggles at first, but they have all been here less than 6 months and are doing very well. You keep knocking the new hires and claiming the senior employees that "built this company" are carrying it.....in some instances this may be true, but I definitely don't see it that way. If you take the time up front to train the new hires properly, it will pay off big time in the long run. The problem arises when the senior courier that trains them shows them all the ways to cut corners and tells them "this is how all the couriers do it in the real world".....or when their mgr doesn't take the time to go over things with them and answer their questions....either way, if they are set up to fail, that's what will happen.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At least mine's on my forehead. I can only imagine where yours is tattooed. :speechless: Maybe that's why you're so angry.

No doormat here, and no tattoos either. Maybe yours should say "Corporate Apologist" instead. Perhaps you could have it done-up in purple and orange. The longer you take it, the longer they'll give it to you, and you seem just fine with the abuse. My anger stems from the fact that Fred and FedEx get away with it.

vantexan

Yes we do, you are correct. The problem is that no union is willing to spend the money and take the risk. It is, after all, a business decision for them. Don't for a moment think they've got your best interests at heart. If it doesn't make financial sense for them they won't do it. Even though the rule changed, if they believe that enough employees will vote no then they won't go after a vote.

If the NLRA option never materializes I bet some union will take the chance. Way too many potential dues payers to ignor.

quadro

No doormat here, and no tattoos either. Maybe yours should say "Corporate Apologist" instead. Perhaps you could have it done-up in purple and orange. The longer you take it, the longer they'll give it to you, and you seem just fine with the abuse. My anger stems from the fact that Fred and FedEx get away with it.
If I type it slowly will it be easier for you to comprehend? I a m n o t a b u s e d. I love my job and if it was any easier getting paid for it would be a crime. That's just me. I certainly don't expect most/many people to feel that way and that's fine.

Are you sure you don't have "welcome" tattooed in the small of your back? It certainly seems that's how it works in your station.

quadro

If the NLRA option never materializes I bet some union will take the chance. Way too many potential dues payers to ignor.
You may be right. Only time will tell but as long as there are a lot of people ok with the status quo, I don't think a union is going to risk it under RLA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
First off, I never said going out 20-30 over is realistic. If there are multiple routes going out 20-30 over everyday, your mgr would be getting hammered by his sr/director b/c your service has to be crap. You can justify using P1 overflow if the stops are there, no mgr wants to be on the AM war call getting questioned about why their service is terrible by their director/MT3. I don't believe for a minute that your mgr is ok with taking 20-60 lates a day from 2-3 routes, and isn't doing anything about it.....if so, he won't/shouldn't be around much longer.

Do you know anyone who has gotten a WL/PR or fired for having lates?? I don't...but I know plenty that were fired b/c they kept getting into accidents. YOU choose to speed/cut corners, most do this b/c their methods are sloppy, your mgr isn't driving the truck. If you make your SPH/Onroad and have lates, nothing is going to happen unless you do something intentionally/stupid to cause cause them and it can be proven.

I disagree about new hires not being able to hit their goals. The last 3 I have hired are some of the best performers in the station. Sure, they had their struggles at first, but they have all been here less than 6 months and are doing very well. You keep knocking the new hires and claiming the senior employees that "built this company" are carrying it.....in some instances this may be true, but I definitely don't see it that way. If you take the time up front to train the new hires properly, it will pay off big time in the long run. The problem arises when the senior courier that trains them shows them all the ways to cut corners and tells them "this is how all the couriers do it in the real world".....or when their mgr doesn't take the time to go over things with them and answer their questions....either way, if they are set up to fail, that's what will happen.

Amazing. How many successful couriers actually go "by the book"? If you did, you'd never get done. You missed my point entirely, which is that sending people out way over goals sets them up for accidents. Most employees don't like to fail, so they're going to push the safety envelope in order to try and do it all. FedEx has completely set them up to fail by creating a scenario where they are much more likely to get into an accident.

LTFedExer

Amazing. How many successful couriers actually go "by the book"? If you did, you'd never get done. You missed my point entirely, which is that sending people out way over goals sets them up for accidents. Most employees don't like to fail, so they're going to push the safety envelope in order to try and do it all. FedEx has completely set them up to fail by creating a scenario where they are much more likely to get into an accident.
Answer the man's question.

I know many couriers that go out 'over' and wouldn't/don't 'cut corners'. As long as they hit their SPH, they have a built in defense if they have lates. And to answer FedEx2000, in my 10 (going on 11) years, I do not know a SINGLE person fired or get a WL for having lates.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Answer the man's question.

I know many couriers that go out 'over' and wouldn't/don't 'cut corners'. As long as they hit their SPH, they have a built in defense if they have lates. And to answer FedEx2000, in my 10 (going on 11) years, I do not know a SINGLE person fired or get a WL for having lates.

Usually, people get fired for a combinaton of reasons. If you have lates and don't make your numbers,you're in the crosshairs. And yes, I've seen people get WL's for having lates. Sometimes they deserve the WL, other times they don't. As far as geting fired, it's the same deal. Once a manager gets a Jones for you based on performance, there are usually plenty of other things that can be used to either set you up or otherwise get you in hot water.

bbsam

Staff member
The fact that you are angry about it in no way suggests that you are not taking it. Nor does your anger suggest that they will stop giving it to you anytime soon.