Unsure how to handle this or if I should

Nestle24

im a yard walker in OK and I get to work do the usual and print off my yard walks well before I get to exit the office door my sup was like some driver from NJ broke down and left his trailer with 80% load in it on yard and we gotta offload it to another working trailer. So she and I and 1 other shifter helped and we got job done. Well as I’m headed back in side to cool down a driver passing by says “ That’s a grievance right there that’s my work I could of gotten paid for . Boy you just made me rich”.... I was just following orders .. I’m confused at all this what is this driver talking about ? Only worked here for 2 months

over9five

Staff member
There's nothing for you to handle. The driver will grieve the hours you worked, and either get paid for it or not.
You did what you had to do, don't worry about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
She wasn't suppose to touch the packages. That is Union work. The NJ dude will get paid for however long she worked. It doesn't affect you other than when you get in the Union don't let management steal money out of your paycheck by doing your work.

Nestle24

Thank you for the reply I am new 2 months in & I enjoy the job minus the heat lol But are used to work in a totally different company and I’m just so confused at the apparent absence of management and making money off something a supervisor tells you to do

Nestle24

What about pulling all those empty big bags that have no packages out of the back of the trucks that are in the trailer doors backed in the hub

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
im a yard walker in OK and I get to work do the usual and print off my yard walks well before I get to exit the office door my sup was like some driver from NJ broke down and left his trailer with 80% load in it on yard and we gotta offload it to another working trailer. So she and I and 1 other shifter helped and we got job done. Well as I’m headed back in side to cool down a driver passing by says “ That’s a grievance right there that’s my work I could of gotten paid for . Boy you just made me rich”.... I was just following orders .. I’m confused at all this what is this driver talking about ? Only worked here for 2 months
Lmao . Not used to physical labor I see.
How big of an ole gal are ya? Lol
@burrheadd

Nestle24

No, do what your sup tells you. You may want to suggest asking an hourly first if there's any available.
OK thank you and I’m not sure what you are referring to buy an hourly like an hourly manager I just feel like I don’t know who to report to for anything I am also a contract worker

rod

Retired 22 years
So basically if my supervisor tells me to do it again I tell her that’s union work not my job?
Are you paid by the hour? Are you in the union yet? Either way Union work is yours - not managements. They are paid to tell you what needs to be done then you do it--not them

Nestle24

Are you paid by the hour? Are you in the union yet? Either way Union work is yours - not managements. They are paid to tell you what needs to be done then you do it--not them
No my contract says feeder associate/walker I am under the impression only drivers can be union

Nestle24

Oh yes sorry forgot to reply to the other question I am paid by the hr

rod

Retired 22 years
OK thank you and I’m not sure what you are referring to buy an hourly like an hourly manager I just feel like I don’t know who to report to for anything I am also a contract worker
now I'm confused. What the friend is a contract worker doing handling packages? and what is a contract worker? and what is a walker?

Nestle24

now I'm confused. What the friend is a contract worker doing handling packages? and what is a contract worker? and what is a walker?
To be honest I don’t know I just do as I’m told it’s through a staffing company they literally told me to come in I’m hired one day and just check trailer doors for loads out in the yard make sure they’re sealed check trailer numbers again and that’s the main part of my job but like I said there’s occasions like what my question mentions and then also I was asked to clean diesel a hazmat situation and put this powder over it ... I had to decline and I felt so bad but I receive no training and I wish there was a book somewhere of what I cannot do

rod

Retired 22 years
To be honest I don’t know I just do as I’m told it’s through a staffing company they literally told me to come in I’m hired one day and just check trailer doors for loads out in the yard make sure they’re sealed check trailer numbers again and that’s the main part of my job but like I said there’s occasions like what my question mentions and then also I was asked to clean diesel a hazmat situation and put this powder over it ... I had to decline and I felt so bad but I receive no training and I wish there was a book somewhere of what I cannot do
Just work as directed for now. You will learn the ins and outs of the Labor vs. Management war later.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
You did nothing wrong, just work as directed. Any issues are between Management (Your supervisors) and hourly union employees
You won't get in trouble

Nestle24

Ok thanks guys ! I really appreciate it ! It cleared some confusion.... I just kind of feel like the outcast and as if I’m walking on eggshells everyday as a contracted worker if that makes sense ! Y’all have a great weekend and stay safe