UPDATE

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I paid over $1100 in union dues last year. How much did you pay?
About $560. And that's relevant because...? It's a simple formula based on your base pay rate to determine your monthly dues. Higher-paid workers pay more in dues. Not sure why you're asking that question.
Now calculate what percentage that was in regards to your annual gross earned.

I'll give you a hint @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U, the part timer is paying a much higher percentage than you are by virtue of the amount of hours worked.

It's not an equitable formula.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thinking Nov 30th. Been a tough Winter with crashes and injures. I live about 15 minutes from the Center and have top seniority so always getting phone calls about taking over a route when something happens. Then I still have to work my PT job after. I was threatened with job abandonment one night when I went home after 11 hours on the road with no breaks or lunch. Union Steward said I was not in the classification for a lunch break.
Doesn’t state law require a lunch period REGARDLESS of ups classifications.... sounds a little weird... I would think DOT would also have a problem with that....

542thruNthru

Doesn’t state law require a lunch period REGARDLESS of ups classifications.... sounds a little weird... I would think DOT would also have a problem with that....

sketch-1552779676970.png

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just want until they are 22.4 drivers.
They have to use relief drivers first before they even touch a 22.4.... just think about that for a second....some of these small centers have a dozen backups..... is ups really going to use all of them first just to put an additional few 22.4’s on road????? It’s good for sat and sun work but I think it’s going to bite them in the ass for the west of the week....just watch

Superteeth2478

I'll give you a hint @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U, the part timer is paying a much higher percentage than you are by virtue of the amount of hours worked.

I'm definitely not even close to typical as far as hours worked as a part-time employee. My average hours/week last year came out to about 35 hours a week. Most part-timers don't get NEARLY that many hours. The daily guarantee of 3.5 hours a day coming out to 17.5 hours a week is more typical. That's half as many hours as I get.

Say the average driver gets 10.5 hours a day, a good amount of overtime without being excessive, and they're getting on average triple the amount of hours a part-timer gets. And yet the dues calculation is the same across the board...

Many of them choose to stay part time.
Everyone knows what this job pays and what the union dues are.

If you don't like the conditions of the contract

:censored2:ing vote

Problem solved.

They have to use relief drivers first before they even touch a 22.4.... just think about that for a second....some of these small centers have a dozen backups..... is ups really going to use all of them first just to put an additional few 22.4’s on road????? It’s good for sat and sun work but I think it’s going to bite them in the ass for the west of the week....just watch
West of the week?

Superteeth2478

Many of them choose to stay part time.
Everyone knows what this job pays and what the union dues are.

If you don't like the conditions of the contract

:censored2:ing vote

Problem solved.
I don't think that was the point of Bubblehead's post. I know it wasn't the point of my post. Like I said before, creating factions in a union based on part-time or full-time status isn't the answer. And based on the fact that the part-timer is paying a higher percentage of their income on union dues, there's no reason to disenfranchise them further than they (admittedly) already disenfranchise themselves.

I don't think that was the point of Bubblehead's post. I know it wasn't the point of my post. Like I said before, creating factions in a union based on part-time or full-time status isn't the answer. And based on the fact that the part-timer is paying a higher percentage of their income on union dues, there's no reason to disenfranchise them further than they (admittedly) already disenfranchise themselves.
And the main reason that the part timers are so far behind in the pay scale is because of their history of not voting. So the company knows this and gave a Little more to the full timers because they vote.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And the main reason that the part timers are so far behind in the pay scale is because of their history of not voting. So the company knows this and gave a Little more to the full timers because they vote.
I don’t believe this.... you would think they would give the pters more money to stick around longer than 6 months... especially when amazon, FedEx, McDonald’s, and aldis are paying more per hour..... friend the benefits and pension, these kids don’t want it anyway.... in actuality it just pads all of our pension plans because 80% or higher of these pters don’t stick around the 5 years to be vested.... I wish I knew the actual %... it is probably pathetic!!!

I don’t believe this.... you would think they would give the pters more money to stick around longer than 6 months... especially when amazon, FedEx, McDonald’s, and aldis are paying more per hour..... friend the benefits and pension, these kids don’t want it anyway.... in actuality it just pads all of our pension plans because 80% or higher of these pters don’t stick around the 5 years to be vested.... I wish I knew the actual %... it is probably pathetic!!!
They did try to buy the part timers vote this time

UPSER1987

Guess what, bub? We're all disposable. Get over yourself.

The part timers probably out number us 65% to 35%

Look at the vote total

So divide and conquer. 35% should be a given. If only half the pters vote, you’re there. In my area, there was never any organized plan to educate and get people to vote... you gotta remember, society in general is very lazy. UPS is no different