UPDATE

So divide and conquer. 35% should be a given. If only half the pters vote, you’re there. In my area, there was never any organized plan to educate and get people to vote... you gotta remember, society in general is very lazy. UPS is no different
We had a pretty good voter turnout in my local, only because the last of us old timers care.

Next contract, who knows?

Superteeth2478

So divide and conquer. 35% should be a given. If only half the pters vote, you’re there. In my area, there was never any organized plan to educate and get people to vote... you gotta remember, society in general is very lazy. UPS is no different
Precisely. It has nothing to do with part-time vs. full-time. It's laziness and apathy in general that leads to the poor turnout.

Box Ox

PAS isn’t wrong. There are folks who take being informed very seriously and educate themselves on the issues. But they’re the exception. And the leadership of RTW locals in my region are typically Hoffa yes men who mumble their protests at Contract violations. There’s really not enough interested members to change that. Surely isn’t what it is up north.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
You mean the 65% of the Union that make minimum wage and no benefits?
They get benefits after 9 months so what is you half truth about not getting benefits, and state minimum wage here is 9.50 I was never a mathematician but 13 an hr is more than 9.50. If you really want to pull teeth federal is way less then 9.50. Please go on with more of your great statistics that are not true.

BigBrown87

Who, me or PT Car Washer? I was just saying that if my vote only counts as half of the vote of a full-timer like Mr. Brilliant BigBrown87 suggested, then part-timers would have even less incentive to vote, and their dues shouldn't be calculated the same as full-timers. Disenfranchise the part-timers more than they've already been disenfranchised, and don't be surprised if we never get anywhere with ANY contract.
Brilliant would be casting a vote that takes less than a minute from your phone, maybe you can talk to your fellow PT's and explain that to them next contract vote instead of going on a rant about how they are disenfranchised because of their load quality. Anybody can pay dues we want PT's to invest a simple minute to cast a vote that will determine our future for the next 5 years, I'm really asking a lot out of the PT's I guess rather be on Facebook or Instagram then vote for economic improvements!

BigBrown87

I strongly doubt the IBT cares about this, but maybe it's because it would be an oxymoron to call it the "International Brotherhood of Teamsters" if the IBT itself separates and creates factions within a company that it unionizes. And I bet a bunch of brain-dead drivers would come on here and bitch and moan about how their loads suck worse and how part-timers suck worse and etc. etc. etc. like always, not realizing that the situation has only gotten worse because of the further disenfranchisement of the part-time workforce.
Dude wake up and smell the Rose's the union is already separating us into factions.

Brilliant would be casting a vote that takes less than a minute from your phone, maybe you can talk to your fellow PT's and explain that to them next contract vote instead of going on a rant about how they are disenfranchised because of their load quality. Anybody can pay dues we want PT's to invest a simple minute to cast a vote that will determine our future for the next 5 years, I'm really asking a lot out of the PT's I guess rather be on Facebook or Instagram then vote for economic improvements!
In all fairness...it took about 6 minutes to vote.

Here is a simple fix. Have two classes of voters. Full time and part time class. Only full time votes are counted towards voter participation. But all votes hold equal weight. You could end up with over 100% participation, but I doubt it.

BigBrown87

In all fairness...it took about 6 minutes to vote.

Here is a simple fix. Have two classes of voters. Full time and part time class. Only full time votes are counted towards voter participation. But all votes hold equal weight. You could end up with over 100% participation, but I doubt it.
It took me less then 5 minutes but really to not vote and complain about not getting a fair shake in the contract seems to be most PT's reaction nowadays. If 65% did vote they would get whatever they asked for when it comes to negotiating for their behalf.

lolbr

They get benefits after 9 months so what is you half truth about not getting benefits, and state minimum wage here is 9.50 I was never a mathematician but 13 an hr is more than 9.50. If you really want to pull teeth federal is way less then 9.50. Please go on with more of your great statistics that are not true.
Sure, $13 an hour is a lot for a state like Alabama with no minimum wage. It is less than the current minimum wage in D.C. though. It's also not far off from the current minimum wage in about seven states.
Since a lot companies pay one to two dollars above minimum wage (like fast food and retail chains), it's basically comes out even in those seven states. You could also go somewhere like a Pizza chain and be a driver. There's a least one major chain that starts drivers above minimum wage, plus a bonus per delivery, plus tips. Back in 2000 I was making well over twice the federal minimum wage delivering pizza once bonus and tips were added in.

BigBrown87

Sure, $13 an hour is a lot for a state like Alabama with no minimum wage. It is less than the current minimum wage in D.C. though. It's also not far off from the current minimum wage in about seven states.
Since a lot companies pay one to two dollars above minimum wage (like fast food and retail chains), it's basically comes out even in those seven states. You could also go somewhere like a Pizza chain and be a driver. There's a least one major chain that starts drivers above minimum wage, plus a bonus per delivery, plus tips. Back in 2000 I was making well over twice the federal minimum wage delivering pizza once bonus and tips were added in.
The minimum wage is set to increase in 21 states and DC in 2019 — here's what it will be in every state
Washington DC is the only part of the country that has a higher state minimum wage then the current 13hr starting PT wage. Everywhere else it roughly a dollar less or more depending on state. My point was to point out that saying everyone PT is making minimum wage is not true or that no PT is recieving benefits. Sure the wait is longer and I disagree with this and should be 3 months at best to obtain medical and dental.

PT Car Washer

The minimum wage is set to increase in 21 states and DC in 2019 — here's what it will be in every state
Washington DC is the only part of the country that has a higher state minimum wage then the current 13hr starting PT wage. Everywhere else it roughly a dollar less or more depending on state. My point was to point out that saying everyone PT is making minimum wage is not true or that no PT is recieving benefits. Sure the wait is longer and I disagree with this and should be 3 months at best to obtain medical and dental.
I was pointing out the real minimum wage. Everywhere I see a help wanted sign it also advertises $9.50 to $10/hr wage for entry level jobs. The $13/hr starting UPS wage is in the new contract that has not passed yet along with the 9 month wait for health benefits. When I started FT and PT wages were similar and the wait for full benefits was 30 days. Why have the Teamsters allowed Union jobs to move so far backward?

BigBrown87

I was pointing out the real minimum wage. Everywhere I see a help wanted sign it also advertises $9.50 to $10/hr wage for entry level jobs. The $13/hr starting UPS wage is in the new contract that has not passed yet along with the 9 month wait for health benefits. When I started FT and PT wages were similar and the wait for full benefits was 30 days. Why have the Teamsters allowed Union jobs to move so far backward?
Good question for @BigUnionGuy? Why did Teamsters allow such a wait for benefits for PT employees the last 2 contracts? He hasn't been answering my questions lately so I dont expect a response anytime soon.