UPS as a "role model" for safety?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by quad decade guy, Jan 12, 2020.

1. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

the best revenge is retiring and from time to time stick it in their faces. I love bumping into a manager at Costco or somewhere and telling them how great retired life is.
    you can see the disappointment in their eyes

( most of the time I just ignore them.....like i did when working ) that probably gets to them too.

2. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

You better stay working if you think moving cardboard is "fun". :-)

3. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

There is nothing wrong with using the Smith System when driving. I still use it to this day. Especially when out on the motorcycle. Leave yourself an out has saved my ass a few times.

4. Boywondr

Boywondr Newbie Doo

"Employees"? Do you mean the on car supes that have to drive for 30 minutes during my yearly safety ride?

This is how it goes:

My comments are...

"Uh, you parked so that I have to step out into a huge mud puddle."
    Two times

"Uh, you forgot to sound your horn when you pulled up and away from that stop...again."
    5 times in a row.

"Your acceleration speed is to much."
    Way too often.

"You didn't clear that intersection.". Twice.

"You drove way past that stop and parked me again to walk out into bad footing."
    Multiple times.

"You didn't look over your left shoulder to clear your blind spot when pulling into traffic."
    Multiple times.

And they rarely checked their mirrors or rear camera before applying the brakes.

Yep, employees dont use the Smith System methods because they only critique others from the computer during safety rides. My most unsafe time spent in the truck is during the 30 minutes I have to endure the supe driving while they struggle to apply the very methods they coach drivers with at least once a week.

It never changes unless it gets worse and with the 30 day wonder supervision we endure it's often a joke.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

Disagree. I personally appreciate his contributions to the BC.

6. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

Generally speaking; no.

You can pass that in to your friend.

7. quad decade guy

quad decade guy Active Member

40 here. What do you do at UPS? And where? Generally? Big hub, small, remote?

8. quad decade guy

Front page headlines on Brown Cafe....right here.

9. quad decade guy

Some of us work really long weird hours. You know, I have a life. So. let's get at it.

10. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

What exactly is there to get at?

You've created a thread whose original post was a poorly formatted rant about UPS safety standards. Then, literally out of nowhere, you began talking about fire departments using UPS safety standards and offering no point of reference as to why this should even be discussed.

Everyone that has spent more than a year or two at UPS knows that they did not invent the Smith System and that UPS only cares about safety so long as it doesn't interfere with profits and production. This is not breaking news. That makes this thread nothing but more clutter that the mods have to keep up with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

I have 9 pages of safety infractions at our building. UPS mouths the words but they do not care about providing a safe place to work for their employees. They do the very least they can to address any safety concern presented

12. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

What action are you taking or have you taken with regard to these 9 pages of safety infractions at your building?

13. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

I stopped going to safety meetings after a couple years because yes, they would address safety concerns presented for about a month and then revert back to ignoring said concerns .
    It was very frustrating that the same concerns would be brought up month and after month , year after year. All they wanted to show in the meeting minutes was that they were doing something about safety concerns for the time being.

I think what they were more interested in was the pizza and soda.

This was at the Sparks, NV hub.during my tenure. I don't think times have changed much since I retired.

14. quad decade guy

Formatted? Please send me to that

rule. Another no substance tool. The

headline was right on the BC home

page. So busy attacking me you don't

have time to look around the site. Last

Time: what do you do at UPS? And it is

breaking news(apparently) to make

the BC headlines. If you missed that,

What else have you missed in your 50

years?

15. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

It would have beneficial to me if you replied to the UPS Headline thread but that’s ok.

I have no comment other than those I already made on this thread at this time.

16. quad decade guy

You mean quote #68?

17. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

I don’t know what this means?

18. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

He means post #68.

I know he's hard to understand.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1