UPS as a "role model" for safety?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I hurt my back a few years back on the clock, on a Wednesday.

One of the safety gerbils actually asked me on Thursday, while I was on TAW with complete restrictions, if I was going to bring in donuts on Friday, since I "ruined it for the rest of Center".
He got an earful until he retired, several years later.

....what a dick.
the best revenge is retiring and from time to time stick it in their faces. I love bumping into a manager at Costco or somewhere and telling them how great retired life is.
you can see the disappointment in their eyes

( most of the time I just ignore them.....like i did when working ) that probably gets to them too.

rod

Retired 22 years
48 years how old are you dude. im at 45 years and age 64. you a feeder, pkg or inside? its kind of fun isnt it, to make up, for a few years ,for all the stupid :censored2: we did when we were younger. like run, work insanely, get intimidated by idiot uneducated supervisors. having a fun time,for a while anyway, ignoring everything the idiots say and just watching my pension rise
You better stay working if you think moving cardboard is "fun". :-)

rod

Retired 22 years
Just because employees don't follow UPS safety training and driving training doesn't mean it's not a good system to follow. The Smith System of driving is a very good training to use and follow. Many companies use it, even drivers training classes.
There is nothing wrong with using the Smith System when driving. I still use it to this day. Especially when out on the motorcycle. Leave yourself an out has saved my ass a few times.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Just because employees don't follow UPS safety training and driving training doesn't mean it's not a good system to follow. The Smith System of driving is a very good training to use and follow. Many companies use it, even drivers training classes.
"Employees"? Do you mean the on car supes that have to drive for 30 minutes during my yearly safety ride?

This is how it goes:

My comments are...

"Uh, you parked so that I have to step out into a huge mud puddle."
Two times

"Uh, you forgot to sound your horn when you pulled up and away from that stop...again."
5 times in a row.

"Your acceleration speed is to much."
Way too often.

"You didn't clear that intersection.". Twice.

"You drove way past that stop and parked me again to walk out into bad footing."
Multiple times.

"You didn't look over your left shoulder to clear your blind spot when pulling into traffic."
Multiple times.

And they rarely checked their mirrors or rear camera before applying the brakes.

Yep, employees dont use the Smith System methods because they only critique others from the computer during safety rides. My most unsafe time spent in the truck is during the 30 minutes I have to endure the supe driving while they struggle to apply the very methods they coach drivers with at least once a week.

It never changes unless it gets worse and with the 30 day wonder supervision we endure it's often a joke.

Last edited:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Some of us work really long weird hours. You know, I have a life. So. let's get at it.

What exactly is there to get at?

You've created a thread whose original post was a poorly formatted rant about UPS safety standards. Then, literally out of nowhere, you began talking about fire departments using UPS safety standards and offering no point of reference as to why this should even be discussed.

Everyone that has spent more than a year or two at UPS knows that they did not invent the Smith System and that UPS only cares about safety so long as it doesn't interfere with profits and production. This is not breaking news. That makes this thread nothing but more clutter that the mods have to keep up with.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I have 9 pages of safety infractions at our building. UPS mouths the words but they do not care about providing a safe place to work for their employees. They do the very least they can to address any safety concern presented

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have 9 pages of safety infractions at our building. UPS mouths the words but they do not care about providing a safe place to work for their employees. They do the very least they can to address any safety concern presented
What action are you taking or have you taken with regard to these 9 pages of safety infractions at your building?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I stopped going to safety meetings after a couple years because yes, they would address safety concerns presented for about a month and then revert back to ignoring said concerns .
It was very frustrating that the same concerns would be brought up month and after month , year after year. All they wanted to show in the meeting minutes was that they were doing something about safety concerns for the time being.

I think what they were more interested in was the pizza and soda.

This was at the Sparks, NV hub.during my tenure. I don't think times have changed much since I retired.

quad decade guy

What exactly is there to get at?

You've created a thread whose original post was a poorly formatted rant about UPS safety standards. Then, literally out of nowhere, you began talking about fire departments using UPS safety standards and offering no point of reference as to why this should even be discussed.

Everyone that has spent more than a year or two at UPS knows that they did not invent the Smith System and that UPS only cares about safety so long as it doesn't interfere with profits and production. This is not breaking news. That makes this thread nothing but more clutter that the mods have to keep up with.

Formatted? Please send me to that

rule. Another no substance tool. The

headline was right on the BC home

page. So busy attacking me you don't

have time to look around the site. Last

Time: what do you do at UPS? And it is

breaking news(apparently) to make

the BC headlines. If you missed that,

What else have you missed in your 50

years?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Formatted? Please send me to that

rule. Another no substance tool. The

headline was right on the BC home

page. So busy attacking me you don't

have time to look around the site. Last

Time: what do you do at UPS? And it is

breaking news(apparently) to make

the BC headlines. If you missed that,

What else have you missed in your 50

years?
It would have beneficial to me if you replied to the UPS Headline thread but that’s ok.

I have no comment other than those I already made on this thread at this time.

quad decade guy

I stopped going to safety meetings after a couple years because yes, they would address safety concerns presented for about a month and then revert back to ignoring said concerns .
It was very frustrating that the same concerns would be brought up month and after month , year after year. All they wanted to show in the meeting minutes was that they were doing something about safety concerns for the time being.

I think what they were more interested in was the pizza and soda.

This was at the Sparks, NV hub.during my tenure. I don't think times have changed much since I retired.

This is God's Truth.