UPS CEO: Thanks to automation, we're shipping more packages with the same number of people

35years

Gravy route
Link:
UPS CEO: Thanks to automation, we're shipping more packages with the same number of people

"The upcoming holiday period is shaping up to be another record-breaking shipping season. In fact, United Parcel Service (UPS) forecasts 750 million packages will be delivered between Black Friday and New Year’s Eve, a 5% increase from last year.
Despite the expected increase in volume, UPS expects to hire the same number of temporary seasonal workers as last year (95,000).

“Last year we hired about the same number of people and we’re doing it this year with an extra 5% of packages and it is because of automation,” UPS CEO David Abney told Yahoo Finance."

UPS is projecting more volume, but will be using the same amount of people.

For those of us that were working 14 hour days and forced 6th punches, aren't these comforting words from our CEO. Just think what happens if we have weather like in 2013.

He also said the new app to help "driver helpers" use their phones to deliver will also give them directions to their next stop...

Hmm...Driver helpers who drive to their next stop. Sounds like scab PVDs.

Great plan for peak.

35years

Gravy route
Competition for temp employees

Target...100,000 temps for Christmas a 43% increase over 2016
Amazon 120,000 temps in addition to thousand of permanent jobs
Macy's...80,000 temps
Fed Ex 50,000
JCP...40,000 temps
Walmart etc...

Dr.Brownz

Cant wait till the snows hit this year, we are going to fill up our entire building with undelivered packages, I know we can do it! We blew out the clerk area and break room last year, gotta go for gold!

Rack em

Made the Podium
They petitioned the DOT to bump our max hrs from 60 to 70 per wk last year.

Can't get worse. They are money grubbing XXXXXXX.
Have to make a few more billion this year, screw the workers.

We have families!
If they try to make me work 10 more hours a week this year I might be able to deliver 10 more stops a week. Maybe

35years

Gravy route
For over 30 years I bought into the mindset that we all work together and get it done for peak.

Sorry, not when they are purposely under-staffing to please the stockholders.

I will do my job, but will not go above and beyond. They are disrespecting our basic human dignity when they push it to 70 hours and then staff the same the next year. 6th punch? Think again.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I only had one 14 hour day last peak, and was lucky to get 50 hours a week. If I could get 70 hours a week during peak season I could have my house paid off and be on to the next one in two years.

Dritalin

This is such bull. They've hired twice the temp drivers this year and the hub will take any warm body with a $150/week bonus, they've definitely hired more temps here.

brownIEman

They petitioned the DOT to bump our max hrs from 60 to 70 per wk last year.

Can't get worse. They are money grubbing XXXXXXX.
Have to make a few more billion this year, screw the workers.

We have families!

Don't say that. Don't ever say that. The one unbreakable rule I learned in my years with brown was never say "It can't get worse than this" cause as soon as you do, guess what always happens?