UPS CEO: Thanks to automation, we're shipping more packages with the same number of people

Overpaid Union Thug

For over 30 years I bought into the mindset that we all work together and get it done for peak.

Sorry, not when they are purposely under-staffing to please the stockholders.

I will do my job, but will not go above and beyond. They are disrespecting our basic human dignity when they push it to 70 hours and then staff the same the next year. 6th punch? Think again.
The past three peaks (every since Amazon screwed us) haven't been so bad. More routes, not clocking out at 10:30, and getting more sleep has been nice. We should never have to go back to the old way. What frustrates me almost as much as that ole BS is all the gutless drivers that think that during peak they have to run, drive around with 10 stops in the cab, and skip their lunches. Many drivers do that throughout the year. The ones that pick up that habit for peak are who I'm talking about. Screw that. All that does is guarantee more work on the car. And if there's enough drivers doing that it guarantees that the center will be allotted more helpers instead of routes. UPS has shown that we can have a good peak AND make a good profit by not working us so damn late. We need to try and keep it that way.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
All I can say is if they try pulling that 70 hour crap here there's a really good chance I'll be getting into an accident sometime Saturday night. Just sayin'.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
They petitioned the DOT to bump our max hrs from 60 to 70 per wk last year.

Can't get worse. They are money grubbing XXXXXXX.
Have to make a few more billion this year, screw the workers.

We have families!

But you get paid OVERTIME! So screw you

- a sup in our center.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If this next contract will pay OT/double time, they will be forced to put more routes.
The math won't add up for them to cut routes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
After 8

10 hours should be triple but I think that may be pushing it.
No one is saying the DOT shouldn't let us drive 60 hours, but UPS should pay for abusing the 40 hour work week.

This job has always required OT. Asking for double time after 8 is asking too much.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This job has always required OT. Asking for double time after 8 is asking too much.

Asking UPS for OT/double time is the best contract move FOR UPS.
It is a cost metric in the contract that THEY can control.
Most monetary additions to the contract are forced on them (i.e. wage increases), OT can be regulated.

You can always sign the Saturday list for a 6 punch, but it forces them to add more drivers which adds to our pension fund.
Happy Drivers = Happy Customers = Wealthy UPS

Returntosender

711D8586-2C7F-4973-B700-113157E24426.jpeg

Brownslave688

Asking UPS for OT/double time is the best contract move FOR UPS.
It is a cost metric in the contract that THEY can control.
Most monetary additions to the contract are forced on them (i.e. wage increases), OT can be regulated.

You can always sign the Saturday list for a 6 punch, but it forces them to add more drivers which adds to our pension fund.
Happy Drivers = Happy Customers = Wealthy UPS

Like I said this job has always required SOME ot. Asking for it after 9 hour then triple after 10 or something like that is understandable.

Double time after 8 is being greedy.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Like I said this job has always required SOME ot. Asking for it after 9 hour then triple after 10 or something like that is understandable.

Double time after 8 is being greedy.
And they aren't ??? (greedy)
They just told the world that they're making us do more work with less people.
I saw a UPS truck delivering in my neighborhood Saturday night at 830PM, THAT'S GREEDY

As always Brownslave, just bantering with you. Everyone is allowed their opinions. :)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ask yourselves this, if UPS is ok paying OT because it makes sense, is it because costs don’t outweigh the OT or is it our base hourly rate and H&W contributions is low enough to make OT acceptable to the costs.

Think about it...

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Ask yourselves this, if UPS is ok paying OT because it makes sense, is it because costs don’t outweigh the OT or is it our base hourly rate and H&W contributions is low enough to make OT acceptable to the costs.

Think about it...
How many locals get pension credit for over eight? Ours doesn’t. Simple math is OT=$50 or so an hour. Straight 8 plus pension credit equals $48 or so an hour. Same payment from UPS regardless if you’re out for 8 or 13 hours. Make them pay pension credit for every hour worked, plus OT, then you start cooking.

Brownslave688

Think about it...
I think you mean our H&W is high enough to make it cheaper.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How can a drivers helper go to their next stop unless he or she is in a truck with a driver?

If all by themselves, they are a driver, not a helper.