UPS completely shut down in Seattle

705red

Browncafe Steward
When I say no problems I mean going out with 100 business stop 450 pkgs. And bringing back 80 stops 380 pkgs. That's a problem.
We received 2 feet of snow here during the last couple of weeks in the Chicago area. We got hit with a good snow fall on the 19th 10 to 14 inches out north and serious ice out south. I went out with i believe with 311 stops that day in which 80 were business. All of it was delivered, even the ones that were not in for the day by leaving them with neighbors.

We are not special in Chicago, but it does take a special breed of a person to tolerate the weather here, one minute its 50 and raining to 1 foot of snow the next day to ice storms all in the same week.

This past February even we were shut down by a snow storm that crippled the area, no business's were open and every time we stopped our trucks we were stuck. I was one of the first to finally give up due to safety and returned back to the building. Something that has to be done every now and than, safety first. Now if it was peak that might have kept me out there trying to get more done, but its hard to say!

To the customers that have attacked this company, yes our company can be run by knuckle heads sometimes. Yes we the drivers have to over come alot sometimes to get the job done and we will criticize at will amongst our selves. Can you tell me if you have ever heard a driver bad mouth the company while delivering? Of course not, because you as a customer should not have to know the little things that go on at ups. You should know that when you order a package it will be delivered on time, but also understand that the weather you are dealing with was also horrible and life threatening to an extent.

We are sorry to hear that your packages did not make it, but provoking the members on this site that do not make the decisions from the ivory tower will get you the treatment you are now receiving. Call ups and file corporate complaints rather than stirring up the members on this site.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
heffe

If that was my goal, dont you think for one minute I would have a ton more posts? After all, Ive been here ONLY 6 or 7 YEARS more than upstate.

That is a really childish reason to post, and an even more childish measure of what someone has to say.

d

I totally respect you on these boards, Danny

And if you are so blinded to realize humor, than shame on you.

In my opinion, You are going a little overboard in the thread.
It's one point to make the case to back your points.
It's another, to foolishly keep the pissing contest going.

Threads die when no one cares about it anymore. Leave it at that.

We received 2 feet of snow here during the last couple of weeks in the Chicago area. We got hit with a good snow fall on the 19th 10 to 14 inches out north and serious ice out south. I went out with i believe with 311 stops that day in which 80 were business. All of it was delivered, even the ones that were not in for the day by leaving them with neighbors.

We are not special in Chicago, but it does take a special breed of a person to tolerate the weather here, one minute its 50 and raining to 1 foot of snow the next day to ice storms all in the same week.

This past February even we were shut down by a snow storm that crippled the area, no business's were open and every time we stopped our trucks we were stuck. I was one of the first to finally give up due to safety and returned back to the building. Something that has to be done every now and than, safety first. Now if it was peak that might have kept me out there trying to get more done, but its hard to say!

To the customers that have attacked this company, yes our company can be run by knuckle heads sometimes. Yes we the drivers have to over come alot sometimes to get the job done and we will criticize at will amongst our selves. Can you tell me if you have ever heard a driver bad mouth the company while delivering? Of course not, because you as a customer should not have to know the little things that go on at ups. You should know that when you order a package it will be delivered on time, but also understand that the weather you are dealing with was also horrible and life threatening to an extent.

We are sorry to hear that your packages did not make it, but provoking the members on this site that do not make the decisions from the ivory tower will get you the treatment you are now receiving. Call ups and file corporate complaints rather than stirring up the members on this site.

That's my point, UPS doesn't do anything different in Chicago than they do in Seattle and the pkgs still got delivered. we have a couple feet of snow here and I don't have any major problems getting around.

outta hours

troll.jpg
troll.jpg

wescaddle

705red, thanks for the thoughtful post. I think it's a two way street. The initial reaction I got from my first post shocked me so much that I have felt compelled to return to this site each night and see what new things have been posted. I still don't think my initial post was so far out of line, coming from a customer who was simply frustrated that his packages were not here.

At the same time, I was reading the Seattle Blog (with over 100 posts from people wondering where their UPS packages were, and the local news stations singling out UPS, both links I posted here. Like I said before, if the news stations in Seattle and the blog was discussing FedEx, and my packages were coming by FedEX, you can bet I would have googled "FedEx Forums" instead.

The point is, I tried calling corporate, I tried all the 1-800 numbers, I tried everything. I came into this site and perhaps used too strong a words in "shut down" but that's how I and hundreds of other Seattle residents felt. Again, re-read my first post...I really don't think it's too far out of line for me to have been attacked the way I was.

First post:

UPS was completely caught off guard in Seattle the last 2 weeks. We received a pretty good snowfall here (for Seattle anyway), and since the snow (which is long since melted away) most residents in Seattle have still not received ANY of the packages that have been shipped to them in the last few weeks. FedEx and USPS both have had excellent service during this storm, but UPS is completely shut down. Most of us have packages that show being scanned into Seattle somewhere around the 17th or 18th and they are still not delivered. Many of my children's Christmas gifts still sit in a warehouse somewhere here in Seattle, nearly two weeks after arriving.

I must admit, until this point I had always had great service from UPS, and I just can't figure out why they had such a break down. Anyone have any thoughts?

PS- You can read some of the problems on a local Seattle Blog here:

http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=13170

tieguy

Banned
FedEx and USPS both have had excellent service during this storm, but UPS is completely shut down. Most of us have packages that show being scanned into Seattle somewhere around the 17th or 18th and they are still not delivered.
http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=13170

your blog lists service issues with fdx including one guy who has waited over a week for a next day air package.

You blog is also reporting ups on the street which seems to dispute your point that ups is completely shut down?

you have decided to make ups the issue when the problem lies in your state getting the roads clean and your neighbors shoveling their walks and driveways.

your blog lists service issues with fdx including one guy who has waited over a week for a next day air package.

You blog is also reporting ups on the street which seems to dispute your point that ups is completely shut down?

you have decided to make ups the issue when the problem lies in your state getting the roads clean and your neighbors shoveling their walks and driveways.

Bingo, city of Seattle and King County.

diesel96

705red, thanks for the thoughtful post. I think it's a two way street. The initial reaction I got from my first post shocked me so much that I have felt compelled to return to this site each night and see what new things have been posted. I still don't think my initial post was so far out of line, coming from a customer who was simply frustrated that his packages were not here.

At the same time, I was reading the Seattle Blog (with over 100 posts from people wondering where their UPS packages were, and the local news stations singling out UPS, both links I posted here. Like I said before, if the news stations in Seattle and the blog was discussing FedEx, and my packages were coming by FedEX, you can bet I would have googled "FedEx Forums" instead.

The point is, I tried calling corporate, I tried all the 1-800 numbers, I tried everything. I came into this site and perhaps used too strong a words in "shut down" but that's how I and hundreds of other Seattle residents felt. Again, re-read my first post...I really don't think it's too far out of line for me to have been attacked the way I was.

First post:

UPS was completely caught off guard in Seattle the last 2 weeks. We received a pretty good snowfall here (for Seattle anyway), and since the snow (which is long since melted away) most residents in Seattle have still not received ANY of the packages that have been shipped to them in the last few weeks. FedEx and USPS both have had excellent service during this storm, but UPS is completely shut down. Most of us have packages that show being scanned into Seattle somewhere around the 17th or 18th and they are still not delivered. Many of my children's Christmas gifts still sit in a warehouse somewhere here in Seattle, nearly two weeks after arriving.

I must admit, until this point I had always had great service from UPS, and I just can't figure out why they had such a break down. Anyone have any thoughts?

PS- You can read some of the problems on a local Seattle Blog here:

http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=13170http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=13170

Wes, understand this.....Brown Cafe generally is not always a reliable source for the general public, nor is this a representation reflecting Corp UPS. Most here are individuals who have their own independent thoughts, free of what ever their opinion of their employer is. So keep in mind if we seem a little rough around the edges here, equate yourself as an outsider who walked into OUR locker room, or OUR local Pub where open friendly service is not always at the top of our priority list.

I think I figured it out...I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier...It is a conspiricy to all of west seattle. UPS decided not togo to West Seattle because maybe their houses cost too much...Instead lets go to the ghettos where they need thier packages more. Lets risk the slippery roads where the chances of getting shot are 3 times greater. I'm glad because my package got delivered on the 18th. It was all about getting my package through.

brownrodster

There is more white gold falling right now.

In other parts of the country where snow is commonplace people just understand that their stuff might be late. The people of Seattle don't deal with snow situations very often and still feel entitled to normal services during emergencies. They have no concept of reality.

They don't even shovel their own driveways or sidewalks. Some people in Seattle actually believe it's the cities responsibility to come and clear their sidewalk. All this while the cities are extremely over budget on snow removal. Spending millions they didn't allocate for this type of situation.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Guys up there, be careful.

I know that this will be taken wrong by some, but there is not a package you have today that is worth getting hurt over.

d

P

pickup

Guys up there, be careful.

I know that this will be taken wrong by some, but there is not a package you have today that is worth getting hurt over.

d
on a very related note, there is a saying amongst the old veteran tractor trailer drivers " there aint a hot load that won't go cold sitting in a ditch on the side of the road"

wescaddle

There hasn't been any snow on the roads in most of Western Washington since last weekend. It's not snowing now in most of Western Washington, and we're not predicted to have any major accumulation in the Seattle area any time soon.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle/

There is no doubt about it. Seattle was grossly unprepared for the rare snowstorm we had, and it was handled terribly by Mayor McCheese. I did see where he has reversed the "no salt on the roads" travesty for the next time we have a snow storm.

PS- My reputation bar is still red. There must be something wrong with that thing.