UPS completely shut down in Seattle

One major weather problem in 101 years of delivering in Seattle is a pretty good track record. Keep in mind the rest of the country has no problems. Common sense and personal experience tells me it was city and county problem. Remember Fed-Ex and USPS drives vehicles a third the size of the average UPS vehicle. My wife sent a package to her mother in Skyway on the 16th it got delivered on the 18th with no problems. Put blame where blame is do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One major weather problem in 101 years of delivering in Seattle is a pretty good track record. Keep in mind the rest of the country has no problems. Common sense and personal experience tells me it was city and county problem. Remember Fed-Ex and USPS drives vehicles a third the size of the average UPS vehicle. My wife sent a package to her mother in Skyway on the 16th it got delivered on the 18th with no problems. Put blame where blame is do.

I would think over9five would beg to differ with you as they are dealing with the aftermath of an ice storm in his neck of the woods. Folks in Chicago dealing with snow, ice and bitter cold. steve in Florida having to endure wearing shorts and sneakers to work. I would agree that the weather in Seattle is extraordinary but please don't think for a second that you are alone when dealing with the elements.

I would think over9five would beg to differ with you as they are dealing with the aftermath of an ice storm in his neck of the woods. Folks in Chicago dealing with snow, ice and bitter cold. steve in Florida having to endure wearing shorts and sneakers to work. I would agree that the weather in Seattle is extraordinary but please don't think for a second that you are alone when dealing with the elements.

When I say no problems I mean going out with 100 business stop 450 pkgs. And bringing back 80 stops 380 pkgs. That's a problem.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
And what upstate was trying to tell you is that there are other places that have crappy weather as well, its that you have gotten the majority of the coverage and blasting.

There are places that have it worse, but they have learned to deal with it.

And they use salt.:wink2:

Nothing like complaining about a self inflicted wound.

Speaking of which, wes, cat got your tongue. I gave you what you wanted, and no response?

d

Last edited:

switchoff

Up here in BC, about 3 hours north of Seattle, we got hit by the same winter storm. We still haven't recovered from it yet. The first day of the storm, some drivers only delivered 40+ and brought back over 80 due to the poor roads. And this trend continued on for several days. All the businesses and resy's on the main strip are getting delivered, but the resy's on the side streets are barely getting touched.

It's been over a week since the first snow fall and we're still having problems b/c all the side roads are a sheet of ice. We had several drivers have to wait 2-5 hours for a tow truck to get them out of a ditch. I made a 2nd attempt on a pkg yesterday over 1 week after the 1st attempt had been made!

I calculated since the snow started falling last week, that I've spent over 7 hours shoveling my truck out of ruts and bad spots. And the trend continues until the snow starts to significantly melt on the side streets. I brought over 50 back last night.

We're expecting another light dusting of snow today through this weekend :(

UPSNewbie

And what upstate was trying to tell you is that there are other places that have crappy weather as well, its that you have gotten the majority of the coverage and blasting.

There are places that have it worse, but they have learned to deal with it.

And they use salt.:wink2:

Nothing like complaining about a self inflicted wound.

Speaking of which, wes, cat got your tongue. I gave you what you wanted, and no response?

d

I think they used all the salt for the streets in their wounds.:sick:

Up here in BC, about 3 hours north of Seattle, we got hit by the same winter storm. We still haven't recovered from it yet. The first day of the storm, some drivers only delivered 40+ and brought back over 80 due to the poor roads. And this trend continued on for several days. All the businesses and resy's on the main strip are getting delivered, but the resy's on the side streets are barely getting touched.

It's been over a week since the first snow fall and we're still having problems b/c all the side roads are a sheet of ice. We had several drivers have to wait 2-5 hours for a tow truck to get them out of a ditch. I made a 2nd attempt on a pkg yesterday over 1 week after the 1st attempt had been made!

I calculated since the snow started falling last week, that I've spent over 7 hours shoveling my truck out of ruts and bad spots. And the trend continues until the snow starts to significantly melt on the side streets. I brought over 50 back last night.

We're expecting another light dusting of snow today through this weekend :(
Switch, I truly feel bad for y'all, not bad enough to offer to come help, but I do feel for ya. This job is hard enough with out 2X loads and bad weather.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
5 or 10 years from now you will forget what you got delivered to you from UPS at Christmas,BUT !!!! the wife and kids of a driver who was killed getting to your house won't forget him!!!

5 or 10 years from now you will forget what you got delivered to you from UPS at Christmas,BUT !!!! the wife and kids of a driver who was killed getting to your house won't forget him!!!
5 to 10 years?.... try by next year and that's IF it is something really special.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I guess that means we are not competely shut down in seattle?

I guess giving you the information you wanted got your package?

d

wescaddle

d

Okay, let me put it this way:

From the eyes of the UPS customers in Seattle, UPS was shut down. No UPS packages were being delivered.....meanwhile USPS and FedEX was getting through. Fact.

I should have titled the thread differently, I'll admit. Perhaps "It appears to me that UPS is completely shut down in Seattle" would have been more appropriate.

I have a funny feeling that no matter how I would have worded the original thread title, you guys would have pounced on me. The silly, complaining, whining customer. Me with my stupid packages....the audacity of actually wanting delivered in a timely fashion! Shame on me for not ordering my Christmas gifts in November!!! Who do I think I am expecting a package shipped 3-day mail to be delivered in 3 days!! The gall!!!

wescaddle

d

dannyboy,

I got my package and I never even had to give a bitter ex-UPS employee that still has access to some sort of super-secret-UPS-tracking-number-package-finding-software any of my tracking numbers. ;)

Okay, let me put it this way:

From the eyes of the UPS customers in Seattle, UPS was shut down. No UPS packages were being delivered.....meanwhile USPS and FedEX was getting through. Fact.

I should have titled the thread differently, I'll admit. Perhaps "It appears to me that UPS is completely shut down in Seattle" would have been more appropriate.

I have a funny feeling that no matter how I would have worded the original thread title, you guys would have pounced on me. The silly, complaining, whining customer. Me with my stupid packages....the audacity of actually wanting delivered in a timely fashion! Shame on me for not ordering my Christmas gifts in November!!! Who do I think I am expecting a package shipped 3-day mail to be delivered in 3 days!! The gall!!!

You should have been talking to your elected liberal leaders.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think this thread is more useful to Dannyboy so he can add posts to try and distance himself from Upstate's eventual total post domination :wink2:

MORELUCK ---- 15,345
TIEGUY -------- 8,509
DANNYBOY ---- 4,078
WKMAC ------- 3,805
UPSTATE ------ 3,328
705RED -------- 2,819

Sir Post-a-lot is only in his sophomore year.:foamfinger:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
heffe

If that was my goal, dont you think for one minute I would have a ton more posts? After all, Ive been here ONLY 6 or 7 YEARS more than upstate.

That is a really childish reason to post, and an even more childish measure of what someone has to say.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I dont take sides. Unless I am convinced I am on the right side. And sometimes the position i take is very unpopular. But I am who I am.

Actually before my green drips red, it is a barometer for what other posters on this site think of your posts. They can register their approval or not.

Personally I dont set much store by it.

BTW, I am glad you got your packages. I really am. That means that we are finally gaining on the backlog, only to have more bad weather to hamper our efforts.

d PS, green reps are earned. This site does not believe in giving any one anything.