UPS completely shut down in Seattle

I work at the seattle hub and it was impossible to deliver anything on time. First none of the streets were plowed for a week
Second every single day half the hub called in unable to make it into work. I double and thripled shifted the last 2.5 weeks along with everyone else who could make it into work.

What do you expect? The city of seattle is not equipped to deal with anything more than about half an inch of snow with all the hills. Not to mention I84 was shutdown for a good week. (I84 brings in the out of state trailers)

The entire city called in to work for about a week and you expect UPS employees not to call in as well? You think the average employee is willing to risk their safety in order to help process your christmas gift? Then you expect us to work on christmas and new years?? Hahahahahaha.

We ran a mixed twillight and night sort from 2pm until 5am christmas eve in order to just catch up backed up volume and then we were done. We have families too you know.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I work at the seattle hub and it was impossible to deliver anything on time. First none of the streets were plowed for a week
Second every single day half the hub called in unable to make it into work. I double and thripled shifted the last 2.5 weeks along with everyone else who could make it into work.

What do you expect? The city of seattle is not equipped to deal with anything more than about half an inch of snow with all the hills. Not to mention I84 was shutdown for a good week. (I84 brings in the out of state trailers)

The entire city called in to work for about a week and you expect UPS employees not to call in as well? You think the average employee is willing to risk their safety in order to help process your christmas gift? Then you expect us to work on christmas and new years?? Hahahahahaha.

We ran a mixed twillight and night sort from 2pm until 5am christmas eve in order to just catch up backed up volume and then we were done. We have families too you know.

...............................PS- My reputation bar is still red. There must be something wrong with that thing.
Wes, do you see any difference in Sea's post as compared to your original post's. There's a huge difference just in attitude. And I'm not talking about the actual post. I'm talking about the demeanor.

If you want green then change you attitude.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Seawal

You mean that UPS worked every day during and after the storm?

But we had someone that said he saw UPS completely shut down, while FedEx and the postal service went bouncing around without a problem.

HMMMM, who to believe......

Sea, I believe it would be you.

d

bluehdmc

I wonder if "wescaddle" has ever had any "service failures" in his occupation? Although he probably would blame it on everyone else.

Big Babooba

There hasn't been any snow on the roads in most of Western Washington since last weekend. It's not snowing now in most of Western Washington, and we're not predicted to have any major accumulation in the Seattle area any time soon.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle/

There is no doubt about it. Seattle was grossly unprepared for the rare snowstorm we had, and it was handled terribly by Mayor McCheese. I did see where he has reversed the "no salt on the roads" travesty for the next time we have a snow storm.

PS- My reputation bar is still red. There must be something wrong with that thing.
I read today that parts of the Northwest have gotten close to six feet of snow this winter. In southern New England, that is considered a lot for the whole season. This is only January 3rd, you've got more coming! When you don't normally get winters like this, how do you prepare for one? Nobody at UPS is happy about the situation, but I can guarantee you that nobody is sitting on their behinds waiting for the snow to melt. For your sake, I hope Punxsutawney Phil doesn't see his shadow on February 2nd. Cheer up, summer is coming!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I read today that parts of the Northwest have gotten close to six feet of snow this winter. In southern New England, that is considered a lot for the whole season. This is only January 3rd, you've got more coming! When you don't normally get winters like this, how do you prepare for one? Nobody at UPS is happy about the situation, but I can guarantee you that nobody is sitting on their behinds waiting for the snow to melt. For your sake, I hope Punxsutawney Phil doesn't see his shadow on February 2nd. Cheer up, summer is coming!

Overrated. the populated areas have not seen nearly that much.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Seawal

You mean that UPS worked every day during and after the storm?

But we had someone that said he saw UPS completely shut down, while FedEx and the postal service went bouncing around without a problem.

HMMMM, who to believe......

Sea, I believe it would be you.

d

I think bouncing is for spring and summer. Bounding is something I picture FedEx and the USPS doing through the snow.
416285787_09a3a47730.jpg

tieguy

Banned

boy that global warming is making a mess of everything.:happy-very:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I just came back from Seattle, Where I got quite a laugh when I saw the mayor on tv saying the Seattle is not known for having snow , so no salt was bought.
Well in Massachusetts , we know snow & ice quite well, in fact the snow removal budget, by law , is allowed to not be really set until sometime in the summer. The town & cities can set a low number in their budgets, because everyone knows they always go over.

brownrodster

I just came back from Seattle, Where I got quite a laugh when I saw the mayor on tv saying the Seattle is not known for having snow , so no salt was bought.

Cities in the northwest have decided to use sand instead of salt because it is better for the environment. That is why no salt was bought. However, every city has changed their mind since this last snow storm. There are still places where it's not legal to salt in my county I'm pretty sure. Such as in the watershed for the lake that holds our drinking water.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Rodster

That is interesting.

In my current vocation testing water quality is of utmost importance to the success of the ponds I install and the safety of the fish in them. In some ponds that we build, the cost of the fish in them can exceed 6 figures in cost.

Even in our ground water, some of the most pure in the world, there are traces of salt. It comes out of the ground that way. Leached out by nature, put there by nature many years before we were. So I question the ability to throw tons of salt onto the highways having an affect on the water quality of your drinking source. Especially no more than what you would use on average in 10 years.

While I am at heart an environmentalist, they have prostituted that term into what should be termed enviroterrorist.

d

steve_l

Your customers know it's not the drivers' fault, but your company needs to issue a formal apology. For example, I was promised two-day delivery for something I ordered on 12/19 and it just arrived yesterday (1/2). No explanation or apology offered. I've called Customer Service several times and they provided erroneous information every time. Totally ridiculous.

Clearly, USPS is now the way to go. Who knew the federal government could provide better service than private industry? UPS should be humiliated!

Leftinbuilding

Your customers know it's not the drivers' fault, but your company needs to issue a formal apology. For example, I was promised two-day delivery for something I ordered on 12/19 and it just arrived yesterday (1/2). No explanation or apology offered. I've called Customer Service several times and they provided erroneous information every time. Totally ridiculous.

Clearly, USPS is now the way to go. Who knew the federal government could provide better service than private industry? UPS should be humiliated!

Nope! Not gonna say what I want to say. Biting my tongue. (fingers?) Not gonna do it....except for this one thing.....nope, I am gonna resist. Have a day, Steve

wescaddle

I got my final package today! It's been in the Seattle sorting facility since 12/17/08.

I know that all the employees of UPS worked hard (and are still working hard) to get things caught up, and to those employees I am grateful. I'm glad that the small group of people that continue to post over and over again in this thread bashing UPS customers are not representative of the whole company.

Since I got my final package today, I really see no reason to continue to post here. I will continue to use UPS in the future, based on the years of great service that I have already had from them (like I posted in my very first post). I am also smart enough to realize that just because I post something on an internet message board and get attacked, it really is just a small minority of people doing the attacking and not at all representative of the entire company...(the most vocal of the attackers don't even work for UPS anymore).

Good luck and Happy New Year to all those actual UPS employees that have PM'ed me with kind words the last week or so. The rest of you (really only about the same 4 posters) need to work on the image you put forth on this VERY public board.

Hopefully, someone high up at UPS has learned from the mistakes made during this storm and will not repeat them next time it snows here.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"very public board"

it's the internet/interweb, what are you expecting? That's the point.

It's only "very public" to people outside of the UPS boundries/affiliation when something goes wrong. If you have a great delivery or great service, you don't hear about it nearly as much and BrownCafe is mostly just employees and former ones. It's only when things go wrong you bet half of the country is coming here to whine about it. And frankly that is what 1-800-pick-ups is for.