UPS Contract passed today by executive vote

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I've been saving in my 401k since I was a part timer...I'm no analyst but my portfolio looks pretty good so far...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Good luck! Do you really think you could live off of it if you lost your pension? It seems that you're putting too much stock (pun intended) in your analytical mind.

Theking30

SHORTY
It isn't cherry picking if all you have to do is look at the people around you. I make almost 3 times what my girlfriend makes per hour. She's a soldier in the greatest military in the world with 3.5 years of service and I load trucks at UPS. My other job involves me reading a water meter and I make close to 5 times what she makes there. You make more than 10 times what she does per hour, in case you're curious. Five times more per year. Is your job five times harder than a soldier's?

Is it fine that you make what you make? Of course. God bless our union for getting those wages. I'm just trying to point out the blatant flaws in your "We are the hardest working. Nobody's got it worse than us." fallacy. So that maybe you can go through life not assuming that you are the world's martyr. Crucified on your UPS truck so that the rest of us can live kushy, comfortable existences. A little humility can go a long way towards fixing that feeling of persecution you have.
So your are not a driver. You have no idea, you can guess and wander, but you do not even do my job. You just see your pay versus driver pay. I would feel bad for you having to work two jobs. Except we all did it.

ncupser82

Good luck! Do you really think you could live off of it if you lost your pension? It seems that you're putting too much stock (pun intended) in your analytical mind.
Idk yet but I got years to figure it out...I didn't say I want to lose my pension, and if its gone I'm sure our union will negotiate its replacement! But as of right now this is all speculative!

Sent using BrownCafe App

kingOFchester

The contract was passed for the following reasons:
Biggest percentage of hourlies wouldn't even take the 30 seconds to vote.
The ones that did vote yes, voted for the immediate financial gains. Look at all the the threads on "retro checks".

Its a sad day in my castle. I voted no. I did not want to go into an unsustainable HC plan. However, it is what it is.I excepted that fact long ago. That is not why I am sad. What I do not like, is the way the contract was pushed threw. The Union is broken. I hope after the next election, the leaders in place will pick up the pieces and find a way to get us on track to all of us standing tall side by side with our brothers.

oldngray

nowhere special
The ones that did vote yes, voted for the immediate financial gains. Look at all the the threads on "retro checks".

Its a sad day in my castle. I voted no. I did not want to go into an unsustainable HC plan. However, it is what it is.I excepted that fact long ago. That is not why I am sad. What I do not like, is the way the contract was pushed threw. The Union is broken. I hope after the next election, the leaders in place will pick up the pieces and find a way to get us on track to all of us standing tall side by side with our brothers.

As much as the part timers whine about getting screwed they mostly do it to themselves by looking at short term instead of long term consequences. UPS sold several bad contracts by buying off people with one time bonuses. Older employees can try to explain things to them but mostly falls on deaf ears.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

I agreed with everything you said.

The only thing I will add is that if, and I mean if, the Old Guard manages to win, you can expect no changes to the way things are done at the marble palace.

We will still be a Teamsters Union that is afraid to even say the word "STRIKE" during a contract negotiation.

Big Bad Wolf

I agreed with everything you said.

The only thing I will add is that if, and I mean if, the Old Guard manages to win, you can expect no changes to the way things are done at the marble palace.

We will still be a Teamsters Union that is afraid to even say the word "STRIKE" during a contract negotiation.
Didn't we prove here in 804 that strikes may not be successful? By Old Guard, you mean Aged Protector? Would that make you a Young Deserter?

Sent using BrownCafe App

realbrown1

Didn't we prove here in 804 that strikes may not be successful? By Old Guard, you mean Aged Protector? Would that make you a Young Deserter?

Your post says nothing. Come back when you have a better, more thought out, argument against what I have posted.

I will be waiting.

realbrown1

Yeah, I know. That's what speculation means. KofC's "assumption" was that the contract passed because members didn't vote. Why did you give him a pass on his "assumption"?

Because I feel that he is right. A majority of hourly union employees failed to vote.

And a majority of those that did vote, voted for their own financial gain.

We have a big problem with this going on. I think it will lead to the demise of our once great union if this continues.

We must educate the union hourly employees on the issues of the proposed contracts of the future. (I don't think they were properly educated. They were giving the Hoffa/Hall snow job)

We must educate them to the importance of voting. Votes not cast show UPS the amount of apathy among the rank and file.

We can fight among ourselves, but when facing a UPS giant, we need to be unified. Unfortunately for us, we don't have someone who can unify us in charge right now.

CharleyHustle

Because I feel

Do you know what they say about people who assume?

89's vote was close to being a national news event. It was big news in labor circles. Now, maybe there was a large number of employees at worldport that didn't know anything about anything, but assuming again, I find that really hard to believe. Still a large majority of workers didn't vote. If forced to vote, I believe a large percentage of these employees would vote yes because it continues the status-quo, which is mostly what you get if you don't vote at all. The employees at world port had to be as educated as any voters could get, yet they still didn't vote.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my small extended center there was almost no participation in the contract proposal process. There usually isn't much union participation period. And when there is it's usually limited to self serving issues like over 9.5s violations, 8 hour requests and violations, and bonus related jealousy grievances. I will never know exactly how many of our people voted but I'd guess only a third of the drivers. If that. I don't even want to consider how low the part-timer vote was. I was the only one from my center at the contract proposal meeting and to this day there are still high seniority drivers that don't have a clue as to exactly how important that meeting is. If anyone even mentions attending that, or any other union meeting, people respond with something like "I don't want to waste a saturday/sunday." or "They are just a waste of time." And the worst thing about it is those words were also spoken by our steward.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We have a big problem with this going on. I think it will lead to the demise of our once great union if this continues.

We must educate the union hourly employees on the issues of the proposed contracts of the future.

We must educate them to the importance of voting. Votes not cast show UPS the amount of apathy among the rank and file.

We can fight among ourselves, but when facing a UPS giant, we need to be unified. Unfortunately for us, we don't have someone who can unify us in charge right now.

You have some valid points.

But, my question is....

What are you doing about it ??

Besides, waving the TDU flag.... and insulting members of BrownCafe.

-Bug-