UPS Contract passed today by executive vote

kingOFchester

Just my speculation, but if the non voters were forced to vote, I believe most would vote yes. Be careful what you wish for.

And where is the problem if that happened? If we had a true turnout for a vote, 80%+, and the contract was passed, I would have no problem with that, being that the majority has spoken. It is the less then stellar turnout that is my point. It shows that we are not united. We do not stand side by side. We are nothing more then a Teamster on one. UPS see's that, and uses that against us all. We are weak. UPS has the upper hand.

The Milkman

And where is the problem if that happened? If we had a true turnout for a vote, 80%+, and the contract was passed, I would have no problem with that, being that the majority has spoken. It is the less then stellar turnout that is my point. It shows that we are not united. We do not stand side by side. We are nothing more then a Teamster on one. UPS see's that, and uses that against us all. We are weak. UPS has the upper hand.

Well said!!!!

You have some valid points.

But, my question is....

What are you doing about it ??

Besides, waving the TDU flag.... and insulting members of BrownCafe.

-Bug-
That's my thoughts exactly. He is the master of insults. I think he is going through a bad time in life. I hope he learns the true meaning of life.

oldngray

nowhere special
That's a little different. The landscape of this country has changed. Unions are not thought of the same anymore. The general public does not feel the way your father and grandfather do about unions anymore. Let's not tear down our company.

The general public hears about all the problems with public employee unions and lump private sector unions in with them. The public doesn't realize they are completely different beasts.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
That's a little different. The landscape of this country has changed. Unions are not thought of the same anymore. The general public does not feel the way your father and grandfather do about unions anymore. Let's not tear down our company.
I don't intend on tearing down anything. I think my union representatives need to be fixed. I think they should be receptive to issues and not indignant. They could disagree without being obstinate.

I don't intend on tearing down anything. I think my union representatives need to be fixed. I think they should be receptive to issues and not indignant. They could disagree without being obstinate.
This is a good career for a full time employee. A part-timer is a part timer. As long as they are lining up to get the job it will never change. Where I'm at ups has no problem finding par timers.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Yeah GREAT Contract compared to previous ones.

Wall Street Analyst: UPS got a cheap deal
hall promised, “The more they make, the more we take.” But Wall Street analysts say UPS will save $500 million in labor costs under the weak contract imposed by Hoffa and Hall.
Wolfe Research, specializing in analysis of the transport industry, has this to say about the new contract:
“UPS’s new 5-yr labor contract with the Teamsters is finally set to take effect on Fri. and we believe it’s a good deal for UPS, with only ~3% annual wage inflation versus ~4% in its past 2 contracts.”
The analysis continued: “UPS announced after the market on Thursday that its new five-year labor agreement with the Teamsters (which was approved on a national level in June of 2013) will go into effect today (Friday) after the national negotiating committee voted to override the last three chapters that had been holding out for supplemental amendments. We estimate wages and benefits for full-time employees will increase by a compounded average of about 3.4% annually over the five years of the contract, below 4.1% in the prior two deals in ‘08 and ‘02. We estimate wages will increase 2.3% annually (vs. 2.7% and 3.3% the past two deals), while benefits are expected to increase 5.2% annually. On an absolute basis, UPS will be paying very similar wage and benefit increases to the Teamsters; but, off of a higher base, the percent increases are lower. Assuming 125K full-time Teamster members and roughly assuming $100K in average annual income (wages + benefits), 3.4% annual wage inflation would SAVE UPS approximately $85M in labor costs in year one and closer to $500M in compounded savings by the end of the contract.”
That pretty much sums it up right there Milkman. UPS should be very happy. Teamster negotiators should be ashamed. Instead, they give themselves raises. What's wrong with that picture??!!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You have some valid points.

But, my question is....

What are you doing about it ??

Besides, waving the TDU flag.... and insulting members of BrownCafe.

-Bug-
What is Hoffa and Hall doing about it? It's their job to do these things. A failure of the Teamsters General Board does not mean that I am at fault for not fixing it.

I get paid to drive a truck.

I pay for union representation and for contract negotiations.

You even said I had valid points when I pointed out that our members are not educated about the contract proposals or on how vital it is to show our employer how important this is to us by a high voter turnout.

Hoffa and Hall seem to have done everything in their power to keep members in the dark and to almost discourage members from voting.

So I have to ask, what part of Hoffa/Hall failing to do their jobs do you not understand?

realbrown1

That pretty much sums it up right there Milkman. UPS should be very happy. Teamster negotiators should be ashamed. Instead, they give themselves raises. What's wrong with that picture??!!

Try telling that to the Vote Yes Hoffa cheerleaders who are now anxiously waiting for their retro checks to arrive.

realbrown1

This is a good career for a full time employee. A part-timer is a part timer. As long as they are lining up to get the job it will never change. Where I'm at ups has no problem finding par timers.

So we just screw over the part timers because they are lining up to get a job at UPS?

As long as you get yours, it's OK to screw over the part timers?

realbrown1

That's my thoughts exactly. He is the master of insults. I think he is going through a bad time in life. I hope he learns the true meaning of life.

Your thoughts have nothing to do with reality. You have no clue as to my life at all.

So why bother guessing? Does it make you feel better about your lot in life?

And as for being the master of insults, when I am dealing with over grown play ground bullies, I never play nice. I always hit hard and with the truth.

It's the only weapon that works.

If you want a spread your Hoffa love , and ganging up on the opposition on BC, you are always going find me right here in your way.