UPS doesn't match 401(k) contributions, but...

upschuck

Fund Current Fee1 New Fee1
(as of 10/1/15)

Bond Market Index Fund 3.00 bps 2.50 bps
Balanced Fund 5.00 bps 4.25 bps
S&P 500® Equity Index Fund 1.00 bps 0.75 bps
S&P Midcap 400 Equity Index Fund 2.00 bps 1.50 bps
Russell 2000 Index Fund 3.00 bps 2.50 bps
U.S. REIT Index Fund 7.00 bps 6.50 bps
International Index Fund 5.00 bps 4.00 bps

The 401K is lowering some fees. Got the email today.
Lowering again, nice

Fund Current Fee1 New Fee1
(as of 10/1/15)

Bond Market Index Fund 3.00 bps 2.50 bps
Balanced Fund 5.00 bps 4.25 bps
S&P 500® Equity Index Fund 1.00 bps 0.75 bps
S&P Midcap 400 Equity Index Fund 2.00 bps 1.50 bps
Russell 2000 Index Fund 3.00 bps 2.50 bps
U.S. REIT Index Fund 7.00 bps 6.50 bps
International Index Fund 5.00 bps 4.00 bps

The 401K is lowering some fees. Got the email today.
But we could use a few more choices.

beentheredonethat

...is there any possibility that they ever would? And, more importantly, would the company ever retroactively match contributions made to traditional 401(k) plans if something like the Central States Pension Fund became insolvent and UPS finds a way to not take over the pension plan? Would this be possible, legal, or smart from their point of view and use the retroactive contributions as a tax loophole?

Probably a stupid question that's totally out of the realm of any precedent or possibility. But I'm trying to decide if I should switch over contributions to the Prudential Roth 401(k) plan or start a new plan outside of work (like a Vanguard Roth IRA plan) for possibly lower fees than we pay now.

Thoughts?

So long as money is going into a pension I don't see UPS adding to a driver's compensation a company match for a 401K. The main issue facing UPS is the cost of a driver as compared to the cost of a driver for FDX. Besides FDX, if you look there's a lot of upstarts such as Uber that is getting into the package delivery business. Also, Amazon is doing some of their own deliveries and my guess is they will expand this further. Also there are dozens of smaller companies that deliver packages at a significantly reduced rate.

Elvis

Forty and out
The Roth 401k is the way to go. The regular 401k is ok if you don't have deductions. The after tax 401k just sucks, you'll pay taxes on your earnings. When you do retire you'll want to move your Roth 401k to a regular Roth like Vanguard so you don't have Required Minimum Distributions at age 70.
National sales tax or value added tax is how they'll tax your Roth.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There is a rumor that UPS wants to dump the pension some time down the road for new hires.

The only way this could ever fly is if UPS matches the 401K.

But they will never have both a defined pension and a 401K match.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is a rumor that UPS wants to dump the pension some time down the road for new hires.

The only way this could ever fly is if UPS matches the 401K.

But they will never have both a defined pension and a 401K match.

It is more than a rumor.

Millenials prefer the flexibility of a 401k. Slowly phasing out the pension would save the company millions in administrative fees.

UPS would simply divert the funds that would have gone to the pension directly to the individual 401k; however, there would not be a match.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It is more than a rumor.

Millenials prefer the flexibility of a 401k. Slowly phasing out the pension would save the company millions in administrative fees.

UPS would simply divert the funds that would have gone to the pension directly to the individual 401k; however, there would not be a match.

Not a match per se, but they would contribute money to your 401K instead of to your pension.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The pensions rely on the flow of new money. Cut that off and their demise would be a lot quicker.

Not those in the UPS/IBT pension. It is 104% funded.

Granted, other Teamster plans do need new money coming in to pay current and future pensions.

UPS would probably just start with those new employees who would have a UPS/IBT pension. not any teamster pensions, and work from there.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Not those in the UPS/IBT pension. It is 104% funded.

Granted, other Teamster plans do need new money coming in to pay current and future pensions.

UPS would probably just start with those new employees who would have a UPS/IBT pension. not any teamster pensions, and work from there.
The company pays near 400 bucks a week into a pension plan. Switch to a 401k they'll pay 6% of your salary if you're lucky.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The company pays near 400 bucks a week into a pension plan. Switch to a 401k they'll pay 6% of your salary if you're lucky.

I am not advocating switching to a 401K instead of a defined pension.

But if the company, union and employees agreed to it, UPS would be putting in more than 6%.

More than likely, it would be the same amount that they are contributing to the pension plan. It would then be up to the employee to make the investment options and take all the risk.

Good investment options and a good market would yield more than the defined pension upon retirement.

Bad investment options and a bad economy could be devastating.

But if the company, union and employees agreed to it, UPS would be putting in more than 6%.

More than likely, it would be the same amount that they are contributing to the pension plan. It would then be up to the employee to make the investment options and take all the risk.

Good investment options and a good market would yield more than the defined pension upon retirement.

That's why you save some on your own.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Limits on employer contributions are a lot higher than employee contributions, they can technically contribute up to $53,000.00 (minus what you contribute, 53k is the max total contribution) in 2015.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Companies don't switch from pension to 401k to pay the same.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Limits on employer contributions are a lot higher than employee contributions, they can technically contribute up to $53,000.00 (minus what you contribute, 53k is the max total contribution) in 2015.
Yeah my wife's company matches 10% plus puts all of their profit sharing money into their 401k. I think they put. 25-30k a year into her retirement.