UPS Driver killed in Colorado Springs

Est.1998

why is everyone talking about tires? speculation?

okay , it's all speculation at this point.

seatbelt failure?
or driver fatigue at 9pm and he went off road?
another vehicle cut him off?
an animal ran out in road ?
he wasn't wearing a seatbelt?
mechanical failure?
tire failure?
heart failure ?
stroke?
Relax, we know there's 6 million ways to die.
Tires are obviously an issue and probably deserve their own thread.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Years ago I started griping about retreads being put on steering axles. Got the whole center in an uproar. DM came in to settle things down. He was also asked if he ran retreads on his personal car to which he had no reply.

The company’s ultimate decision was to send 3 drivers from the center on a 3 day all expenses paid trip to tour the recapping facility. They offered it to me and I told them to shove it up their wazoo.

I’ve seen the destruction of a recap coming apart on a rear axle of a P700. Tore up the whole wheel well. They had to put in all new sheet metal floor. Can only imagine what it would be like to have a blowout on a steering axle.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Years ago I started griping about retreads being put on steering axles. Got the whole center in an uproar. DM came in to settle things down. He was also asked if he ran retreads on his personal car to which he had no reply.

The company’s ultimate decision was to send 3 drivers from the center on a 3 day all expenses paid trip to tour the recapping facility. They offered it to me and I told them to shove it up their wazoo.

I’ve seen the destruction of a recap coming apart on a rear axle of a P700. Tore up the whole wheel well. They had to put in all new sheet metal floor. Can only imagine what it would be like to have a blowout on a steering axle.
Recaps on the steering axle used to get you redtagged at the scales on a big rig.

They changed this? Must have been rip van winkle for the last 20years. Never lost a steering tire toablowout but have know drivers whohave.

They say it pulls real hard to that side.Experts say do not brake hard .Just try to slowly steer to side of road and take your time tocometo stop.

Maybe knowing this beforehand can save your life.

oldngray

nowhere special
Recaps on the steering axle used to get you redtagged at the scales on a big rig.

They changed this? Must have been rip van winkle for the last 20years. Never lost a steering tire toablowout but have know drivers whohave.

They say it pulls real hard to that side.Experts say do not brake hard .Just try to slowly steer to side of road and take your time tocometo stop.

Recaps are legal on steering axles for package cars. Try to keep up.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

A steer tire blowout is my worst nightmare. Hasn’t happened to me yet and pray it never does. This is why I pretrip the living hell out of my tires. I’ve been told not to use service brakes if this happens as that will make it pull harder to the side of the blowout. If you have a single trailer on you, use the hand valve. Don’t slam it down, just slight up and down movements. Use the trailer to slow you down. If you’re bobtailing or pulling doubles, you’re just in for the ride.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I’ve been told not to use service brakes if this happens as that will make it pull harder to the side of the blowout. If you have a single trailer on you, use the hand valve

I've never heard about using the hand valve but it seems like a terrible idea to me. Especially if you're in a KW with the valve low on the dash, terrible design if you ask me.

DriverNerd

’Ive seen the destruction of a recap coming apart on a rear axle of a P700. Tore up the whole wheel well. They had to put in all new sheet metal floor. Can only imagine what it would be like to have a blowout on a steering axle.

We had a driver lose a left rear inside tire and that thing destroyed the underside of his 10 cube. Also tore a hole in his gas tank, leaked all over the highway. Was out of service for a month.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A steer tire blowout is my worst nightmare. Hasn’t happened to me yet and pray it never does. This is why I pretrip the living hell out of my tires. I’ve been told not to use service brakes if this happens as that will make it pull harder to the side of the blowout. If you have a single trailer on you, use the hand valve. Don’t slam it down, just slight up and down movements. Use the trailer to slow you down. If you’re bobtailing or pulling doubles, you’re just in for the ride.
That sounds good, but honestly if your front tire blows you're probably just gonna automatically step on the brakes before you have time to think about it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maybe he really loved his job and wanted to keep working as long as he was healthy enough. Not something most people would do but it was his business why he hadn't retired.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pensions are considered to be the same as other retirement plans and as such are subject to Required Minimum Distribution rules:

RMD stands for Required Minimum Distribution. It's the minimum amount of money you're required to take out of your retirement plan once you turn 70 1/2. Virtually all pension plans in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code and they all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.Jun 5, 2019

542thruNthru

Pensions are considered to be the same as other retirement plans and as such are subject to Required Minimum Distribution rules:

RMD stands for Required Minimum Distribution. It's the minimum amount of money you're required to take out of your retirement plan once you turn 70 1/2. Virtually all pension plans in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code and they all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.Jun 5, 2019

Can you guarentee me that this applies to all pensions?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pensions are considered to be the same as most other retirement plans and you are required to start taking minimum distributions (RMD's) when you turn 70 1/2. This has recently been changed to 72. RMD's are calculated by taking your balance as of 12/31 and dividing it by the number of years that you are expected to live. That number is then divided by 12 and that is how much you are required to take per month. Failure to do so results in a 50% fine of the RMD amount.