UPS hiring at $18.00 an hour

moorexecutive

UPS has made a mockery of the Teamsters. UPS is paying $18.00 an hour for fresh off the street loaders. The Teamsters couldn’t even get loaders $15.00 an hour on last contract. Embarrassing! Now let the finger pointing begin.
What hubs in what city is doing this? In Memphis, Tennessee, they are starting at $16/h.

quad decade guy

She is a pilot.... and flies imaginary planes.

But, knows all about the struggles of a part-time employee.
Female? Always thought a liberal effemanate, emasculated trans dude. No wonder. BTW, I'm curious how "she" feels about voting for a Party trying so hard to eliminate her job. AOC is doing just that. Those air freighters gulp lot's of fuel and pour tons of C02 in the environment. Tons. How do you square that(hired because you are female)?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
If anything the Teamsters kept the rate as low as possible. There is only so much money to go around and we push for it to go to FT.
I think UPS would rather it go to PT start rate.
Incorrect.

The Company has been adamant that the starting wage stay low because of turnover, ignoring market forces and the illusion that this is still 1988 where the starting wage was more than double the minimum wage.

No one is going to take a strong position or strike for someone who may never be hired. Would you walk or give up your annual wage increase so a future employee could start at $15/hr?

Remember the Contract also says that all wage rates are minimums.

Incorrect.

The Company has been adamant that the starting wage stay low because of turnover, ignoring market forces and the illusion that this is still 1988 where the starting wage was more than double the minimum wage.

No one is going to take a strong position or strike for someone who may never be hired. Would you walk or give up your annual wage increase so a future employee could start at $15/hr?

The company can be adamant all they want, it’s the union that folds on the issue.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Incorrect.

So you are saying the union should not fight to raise starting pay because those employees have not been hired yet? Of course the company wants to pay as little as possible while still keeping operations running at every level. Driver, loader, seasonal, seniority, doesn’t matter. They are not a charity they want to control labor costs. It’s the union’s job to push wages higher across the board for all union workers, even 30 day part time employees.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
So you are saying the union should not fight to raise starting pay because those employees have not been hired yet? Of course the company wants to pay as little as possible while still keeping operations running at every level. Driver, loader, seasonal, seniority, doesn’t matter. They are not a charity they want to control labor costs. It’s the union’s job to push wages higher across the board for all union workers, even 30 day part time employees.
The union would love to have higher starting wages.

But you ignored his point.

Look out into the parking lot next time you go to work. You'll see a ton of nice cars and trucks. You'll see a glimpse into the lifestyle creep that affects a lot of drivers.

Are these guys (and gals) going to strike to get their preloader an extra dollar or two an hour?
No.

They are not going to jeopardize their families and lifestyles for the sake of a bunch of part timers who have a hard time showing up to work anyway.

That's for the ones that are established.
Have you seen our seasonal hires?
How about (lol) the seasonal driver helpers?

Can you really blame the full timers for not wanting to stick their necks out to get them more money?

As much as we'd all like to be making $35+ an hour (I'm a part timer at $14.80, for the record), it isn't going to be a reality.
Those who want to make a living at UPS wait their turn, and go driving. The others leave.

There are hills to die on, and there are battles that aren't worth fighting.
Seasonals and part timers should not be the priority.

Yolo

Preloaders should be unpaid interns. They will intern 3-5 years to learn the biz. Then they can be 22.4s.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Not been hired and may never be hired. Did you do the math on the last Contract? Our wage 'increases' did not beat inflation meaning we actually will make less. The Union makes the argument every time that increasing the starting wage would reduce turnover and attract better applicants but do you realize that if we were to "fight" for a higher starting wage that means either accepting a lower wage increase to make up for it or a work stoppage? How exactly do you sell that?

"Guys I know you're all making over 6 figures right now but I need you to STRIKE! so Joe MaybeNeverHired can make more right off the bat. Yes I know you all went through a long progression to get to where you are but c'mon do it for Sally NotEvenAppliedYet! Whaddya Say! No? OK how about taking a haircut for them? I realize there may be a significant economic downturn, maybe even a recession that would necessitate layoffs at any time but c'mon guys!"

If you can sell that be my guest.

Eventually UPS will not negotiate with the package car drivers. It’s a talentless job, that requires no special license or a degree. Drivers are overpaid, the drivers brag about this on Brown Cafe. UPS needs to start drug testing drivers, even for marijuana. That will be the theme next contract. Package car drivers are over paid.
I actually went to school to be a pilot. Which is why I make more than you package car drivers.

As a matter of fact the public should be alerted as to how much a package car driver is overpaid. $100,000 to drive a car? Yes there are changes coming! No wonder it costs so much to ship with UPS. Amazon will put UPS under.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
As a matter of fact the public should be alerted as to how much a package car driver is overpaid. $100,000 to drive a car? Yes there are changes coming! No wonder it costs so much to ship with UPS. Amazon will put UPS under.
Drivers should take a paycut so UPS can make more profit. Then feed some of that profit to the retirees.

PT Car Washer

Not been hired and may never be hired. Did you do the math on the last Contract? Our wage 'increases' did not beat inflation meaning we actually will make less. The Union makes the argument every time that increasing the starting wage would reduce turnover and attract better applicants but do you realize that if we were to "fight" for a higher starting wage that means either accepting a lower wage increase to make up for it or a work stoppage? How exactly do you sell that?

"Guys I know you're all making over 6 figures right now but I need you to STRIKE! so Joe MaybeNeverHired can make more right off the bat. Yes I know you all went through a long progression to get to where you are but c'mon do it for Sally NotEvenAppliedYet! Whaddya Say! No? OK how about taking a haircut for them? I realize there may be a significant economic downturn, maybe even a recession that would necessitate layoffs at any time but c'mon guys!"

If you can sell that be my guest.
Do the math on all of the new 22.4 drivers making $20/hr for 50 to 60 hr. weeks when we need them. The future for delivery drivers.

FromOffTheStreets

I would agree to a $10/hr pay cut for daily 8hr routes (real ones) ,as well as 2 extra vacation weeks (still maxing out @ 7 weeks but after 15 years). I would gladly make $60k & have a life rather than 100k with no life.