UPS IT laying off 58 and older employees?

This buyout was offered because they needed to ramp up IT in the late 80's and early 90's, so they hired a ton of people. Those people are all around retirement age now and they are looking to bring down the numbers. They are also bringing in alot of talented interns and co-ops who work for nothing. Also, with that buyout - UPS picks the day when they want you to leave, the employee has to agree to that. The latest date was June 2019 and i think the earliest was Sept 2018.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This buyout was offered because they needed to ramp up IT in the late 80's and early 90's, so they hired a ton of people. Those people are all around retirement age now and they are looking to bring down the numbers. They are also bringing in alot of talented interns and co-ops who work for nothing. Also, with that buyout - UPS picks the day when they want you to leave, the employee has to agree to that. The latest date was June 2019 and i think the earliest was Sept 2018.

...and if they don’t choose the “voluntary” buyout...?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I thought it was just our center-----stops per count have definitely gone up since we started CIR.

My norm used to be 125-130-----it is now 145-150.

6 working days left.
C8627B37-5A76-465D-859B-A08958989036.gif

dudebro

You don't know what working hard is in your little office.

Yea, actually, he does. Just as few people can do the type of thinking required of his job as can do the physical work of driving. I've done both jobs, and, I've been a mason tender working construction, which is a damn sight more physically demanding than driving. They're different.

Driving demands physical energy but when you're on a bid route, you can almost mentally check out all day. Knowing your air stops, floor stops, and next 5, next on call, becomes a routine. You fight boredom by running songs in your head, chat up receptionists for a few seconds, etc. Everyone here wants to talk about delivering a Bowflex up 5 flights but that's the exception not the rule. The rule for many is a paper route in the suburbs in good weather. And at the end of the day, you walk home without a single work worry. More packages will be there tomorrow, but I'm done today and walking out feels GREAT.

Try figuring out novel problems for an entire day. Try being on a call for 15 hours overnight working through an issue when Australia customs doesn't have the data they expect. No methods, no standard way of doing things, no routine, no way to just tell your on-car supervisor "I don't know what to do here, tell me what you want because it's not my problem". You're completely ignorant of this kind of work, based on that statement. You'll walk out of your office completely drained, without lifting a finger.

Developer

From what I have witnessed, co-ops and interns do not stick around UPS for long as there are more competitive salaries around them. They just get the 1-2 years experience and leave, our retention is pretty low and it's usually 1 intern/co-op per development team (not every team at that) in a cycle. Our salary breakdown is:

App Dev Associate (60k, hourly position, not qualified for MIP but at least management is terrified of making you work OT and paying for it). Entry level.
Applications Developer (66k base with qualifications for MIP). 1-2 years experience.
Intermediate Applications Developer (80k plus MIP) 2-3+ years experience.
Senior Applications Developer (95k plus MIP) 4-5+ years of experience.

So when a coop/intern gets to see these numbers, most of them can get 80k base after graduation in the NYC/NJ area.. UPS is losing this battle. Also, UPS has fallen in love with hiring consultants to do their seasonal work and then relieve them. Apart from 2 days out of the year, all of our production installations go through India. I've seen UPSers leave and no rec would be re-opened for them... just 2 more consultants thrown at the opening.

I don't know what Price has further in store, but i highly doubt growing our internal talent is at the top of his agenda given these actions.

IESucks

Yea, actually, he does. Just as few people can do the type of thinking required of his job as can do the physical work of driving. I've done both jobs, and, I've been a mason tender working construction, which is a damn sight more physically demanding than driving. They're different.

Driving demands physical energy but when you're on a bid route, you can almost mentally check out all day. Knowing your air stops, floor stops, and next 5, next on call, becomes a routine. You fight boredom by running songs in your head, chat up receptionists for a few seconds, etc. Everyone here wants to talk about delivering a Bowflex up 5 flights but that's the exception not the rule. The rule for many is a paper route in the suburbs in good weather. And at the end of the day, you walk home without a single work worry. More packages will be there tomorrow, but I'm done today and walking out feels GREAT.

Try figuring out novel problems for an entire day. Try being on a call for 15 hours overnight working through an issue when Australia customs doesn't have the data they expect. No methods, no standard way of doing things, no routine, no way to just tell your on-car supervisor "I don't know what to do here, tell me what you want because it's not my problem". You're completely ignorant of this kind of work, based on that statement. You'll walk out of your office completely drained, without lifting a finger.[/QUOTE
Tldr

Tony Q

I work as a senior developer in the Parsippany building, and I overheard conversations today that all IT employees that are 58 and older received an email this past Wed. stating that a severance package is being offered to them as a means to end their employment. From what I overheard, it's :

3 month's salary
paid unused vacation days
1 week pay for every year of service dedicated to the company (20 years = 20 weeks pay).

If you don't accept this package by June, then you are on bought time until HR lays you off for other reasons while avoiding age discrimination.

Does anyone have more knowledge of this situation and why this is happening? I was naive to think this is a company I can retire with and they will take care of me if I work hard, but this sent me the message that they are ready to kick me to the curb when I turn 58. I also overheard this was done in 2008 as well, is that true?

A lot of knowledge is about to head out that door and I am seeing more and more consultants pop up in this building. My future has just become murkier with these actions.
Ups is offering a buyout for its non operations employees. We are talking labor, BD, and other jobs. Oh yeah, no union employees!

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
He decided to use his brain rather than his back.

He made the right choice.

He has marketable skills.

You have limited options.
Is that way they are begging people to go management up here? Is that why they are removing the schooling requirement? Lol. Marketable skill?!! Lmfao. I didn’t know lies and bs was marketable. lol