UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

ImpactedTSG

I am sorry for your situation. Have you considered organizing as a hedge against future work issues?
Unions are not the answer. Just ask the many drivers that are unloading or are simply not working due to the sagging economy. The best advice I can give it is to update your skills and move on if you are young and ambitious enough.

phillyTSGtech

Philly TSG
It would actually be great if the definition of Layoff in TSG was you're moved to a different job within the company. Layoff is TSGLand are "don't let the door hit ya in ass on the way out!"
Oh and 3 mths notice would be great. Conf call on the 20th, let know who is effected by the 23rd. Packets received on the 28th. Need an answer on the 6th... 3 weeks... And eventhough the sep date is Apr 29th in the Packets, it's going to be sooner. You just know it.
Try to find techs jobs? You're funny. We're non-union, non management. We just get bent over w/o lube.

We are getting laid off by shift, not seniority here. Betrayal? Sure. When your years of service, work ethic and results account for jack****, it hurts like hell.

Did you ask about the seperation date? I asked the HR rep directly and was told that anyone taking the buy out would be allowed to remain in their position until april 30th at which point the job would no longer exists.

I this is the first i heard of being laid off by shift. In Metro Philly it has alwasy been by seniority, regardless of education, job performance or anything else.

All boils down to management taking the easy way rather than doing a bit of work to get rid of the FAT and make the department stronger.

CTSC High Dome

long time lurker first time poster

we had a couple of seagull managers here from region last week. they basically hovered squawked and left but rumor is they were here to help determine who will be uninstalled. we are expecting some chainsaw consultants from tcs in short order.

is this pervasive?

RobRoy

Re: PS laying off Technical hourly employees

I'm also a technician with TSG. I've been told they are laying off 130 TSG (on-site) technicians, and 180 TSC (helpdesk) technicians. We're the two groups who keep the computers, DIAD's, networks, scanners, printers, and customer pc's running and maintenanced.]

Don't know who told you this, but don't believe it. The TSC or Technicial Support Center is in LasVegas and is the first level of support. If an OMS calls with an issue on their Center PC this is the first desk they call. If they lost 130 people, they would not have many left.

ICS Internal Customer Support is the second level of support and is in Morristown, NJ. There are less than 100 people who work there and most are hourly employees. There have been no layoffs in ICS to my understanding.

There have been a limited number of layoff in Corporate IS, but it has been a small number compared to the over 4,000 people in Corporate IS. It is my understanding that there have been no layoff in local TSG around the country; however, as people leave they are not filling all positions.

There is less of a demand for local TSG. UPS has moved to mainly web based applications and any computer in UPS can have its software fixed remotely from anywhere in the world. TSG used to run around and fix the computers we gave to customers. We now give these computers to customers and let Dell, HP, etc fix the hardware. If there is a software problem we can remote in to fix a WorldShip issue. There is just simply less for TSG to do now.

If you know differently, I would like to hear it please.

CTSC High Dome

Don't know who told you this, but don't believe it. The TSC or Technicial Support Center is in LasVegas and is the first level of support. If an OMS calls with an issue on their Center PC this is the first desk they call. If they lost 130 people, they would not have many left.

ICS Internal Customer Support is the second level of support and is in Morristown, NJ. There are less than 100 people who work there and most are hourly employees. There have been no layoffs in ICS to my understanding.

There have been a limited number of layoff in Corporate IS, but it has been a small number compared to the over 4,000 people in Corporate IS. It is my understanding that there have been no layoff in local TSG around the country; however, as people leave they are not filling all positions.

There is less of a demand for local TSG. UPS has moved to mainly web based applications and any computer in UPS can have its software fixed remotely from anywhere in the world. TSG used to run around and fix the computers we gave to customers. We now give these computers to customers and let Dell, HP, etc fix the hardware. If there is a software problem we can remote in to fix a WorldShip issue. There is just simply less for TSG to do now.

what group are you?

undercoversupe

I'm also a technician with TSG. I've been told they are laying off 130 TSG (on-site) technicians, and 180 TSC (helpdesk) technicians. We're the two groups who keep the computers, DIAD's, networks, scanners, printers, and customer pc's running and maintenanced.]

Although it has been about 14 months ago, our district layed off 2 technicians (Severance) and fired 2 since.