UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

Dfigtree

It use to be fun. Fun was wrong. Fun was changed. It's wasn't fun anymore. It's good to be free. Being a TSG tech was fun but it is not like being a mainstream tech. Some skills will carry over but there are a lot more skills you will need to learn. Take control and make the change. No one will do it for you unless they're showing you the door.
I was bitter until I realized I didn't have to stay and I could make a change. Once you start down the path to change, the fun starts to change back to right. It's fun again.

This thread reminds me of the I.S. HR mantra

"UPS isn't for everyone." And, then HR got decimated by cutbacks/layoffs/firings. That is, the people who were doing the hiring got fired. Enjoy your day. D Harry

U

UnmaskedTechMonkey

I had completely forgotten about this site. I had to do a google search of TSG Downsizing to even locate it.

I was one of the people who posted a dozen or more times in this site during the 30 or so days that my district waited on hearing who stayed and who left.

I left -- on my own, though. I took a voluntary separation package.

Just last week, I had dinner with one of my old co-workers. He is still in TSG. He and a number of others give me information from time-to-time about what is going on at UPS. If it pertains to someone I know, I am always interested. If it is UPS stuff in general, I couldn't care less.

I am doing fine. I got a job doing work that was similar to what I did at UPS. My current company has a lot of technology -- almost as much as UPS (North America). I got a Tier 3 promotion in my first year.

I learned a lot at UPS. The downside is that I didn't need to be in TSG for a decade to get that knowledge. You can probably learn all you need in TSG in about 12 to 15 months. I made Senior Tech at UPS in less than 1 year. I spent another 9 just being unhappy.

I would say that most TSG techs are probably no where near as skilled as they like to think. I deluded myself, too, when I was there. Over the last 5 years, a lot of TSG management and technicians in my district left. I don't know a one that won't support me saying that UPS technicians are overpaid when compared to the technology industry. I would say that TSG techs could be paid about $10 - $15 an hour when the work is compared to industry at large. Since TSG is part of UPS, the wages they do get is fair. Drivers make a killing, and why not the techs.

It took me a year to catch up my skillset to what is expected of a technician outside UPS. Some things I was better than the industry, but on many others I was subpar.

A UPS technician is a different creature --so much is proprietary. The biggest problem for TSG techs is that almost everything that is done is scripted. This is just the nature of large companies. I see it where I am.

As long TSG techs are honest with themselves and others about what they do, there is nothing wrong with being in TSG at UPS. If mainstream technology is your passion, you won't get to be too involved in the creative side of support. If you just like a technology challenge, I can see getting this at UPS. You can make a career out of being knowledgeable about scanning and such at UPS.

There are worst places to retire from than UPS -- UPS is tops in this regard. There are worst places to work than UPS -- not many, though. UPS really is a sucky place to show everyday. Like I said, though. It is probably one of the best in the world to show up on your last day.

I hope UPS continues to do well -- I've got a partial retirement coming some day.

I hope I didn't come off too negative. I've tried to put all that behind me since leaving. It is hard, however, to talk honestly about TSG without saying brutal truths.

take care, All.

Ok,... I just got an email from an old friend addressing me as OrganGrinder.

Ok, sure, it is indeed, me... Steve from Virginia. I suspect a few of you that are still posting remember me -- I know who you are. Your posts during the downsizing gave you away -- I won't, however, expose you.

I miss you guys, but I don't miss UPS one bit. I mean, I don't work in the most plush building, but it never smells of tires, sweat, and exhaust smoke.

Everything is slow-paced and the only screaming I hear is from kids excited about snow and their newest IPOD. I never hear manager screaming at employees. It just doesn't exist outside UPS. I have talked with many people from various private and public sector organizations. When I tell them about UPS, they really think I am embellishing. Perhaps I do to a point, but you guys see/saw it.

I could drone on for paragraphs about things, but I won't. The best thing I can share with you is that you can change a lot of unhappy things in your life by just changing who you surround yourself with. I couldn't have been more unhappy during my last 4 or 5 years at UPS. It affected me outside UPS.

The moment I signed my voluntary separation with HR, I felt a change come over me. I worked another week for UPS after resigning. It was pleasant -- no pressure. I even smoothed over things with a couple of people at UPS. I left good -- no regrets, and on my own.

My attitude changed and has remained good. It was my greatest fear that I would leave UPS and not be able to put all those bad feelings away. For the most part, I did. I suppose the remaining scars leave me a cynic and skeptic, but I can live with those traits just fine. It was the day-to-day frustration and disgust that I am glad is gone. The feeling of insignificance. The lack of self-esteem and the feeling of despair at the hands of know-it-all package company management.

Where I work now, the IT folks are appreciated. They are respected. These two things can change everything about how you feel in your job. It doesn't matter whether you are a janitor, a TSG Tech, or a Package Division Manager -- if you feel appreciated and have respect, it will positively affect your job. If you don't have it, the money and title mean nothing. Well, the money will still be good, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, I didn't have a drug problem where I needed to quit my misfit friends to get clean. I had an appreciation and respect problem where I had to quit my company to get my mind right. It is sad that UPS has devolved to that.

I'll take a partial UPS retirement and be happy over a full one where I hated much of my adult life.

I am still proud of this quote I made many years ago;

Are you a Technology Professional who happens to work for UPS, or, are you a UPSer who happens to work in Technology Support?

Your answer is your path... you just have to follow your own truth.

Steve, TSG Virginia Distict, blah, blah, blah.

Deeohem

which quarter? 4Q08 or 1Q09? 4Q is always going to be light because of Peak. We've already got some project rolling out for 1Q, WorldShip 11 is going to have proactive TSG involvement (corporate mandate). There's the project to update DPS Map Data, CTSG is gearing up for PFT9, and there's a project gearing up for upgrading LOE hardware from G3s

which quarter? 4Q08 or 1Q09? 4Q is always going to be light because of Peak. We've already got some project rolling out for 1Q, WorldShip 11 is going to have proactive TSG involvement (corporate mandate). There's the project to update DPS Map Data, CTSG is gearing up for PFT9, and there's a project gearing up for upgrading LOE hardware from G3s

Current quarter as in 1st Q 2009

Those are chump projects

The WS 11 stuff is only a few per district and reality is that most customers will just do the work themselves as that is the support environment UPS has created over the last several years.

Most centers have already upgraded to G5 servers, and even for the remaining ones it's less than one days work per center.

The DPS Map Data thing is not even worth mentioning and PFT upgrades are all basically no local TSG involvement anymore.

The point is that we are going into the New Year with basically no corporately justified work.

Think about that in light of these quotes from UPSers.com

"At the same time, we are implementing planned strategy initiatives, and accelerating some, to help manage through declining volume levels and worsening economic conditions in the U.S. and around the world... It’s evident, however that we must do more. We must manage responsibly to adjust our costs to current volume levels.

Evaluating the future staffing needed to monitor and manage the local Preload Assist System (PAS) and Hub & Feeder Control System (HFCS).
Ensuring cost plans for 2009 do not exceed 2008 actual costs. This cost initiative will influence staffing levels in most locations."

Not trying to resurrect any old rumors, or raise any new ones. It's always good to get different perspectives and experiences from around the country.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Our district is being consolidated, any TSG people have experience with this?

I usually try to eat more roughage and take Metamucil...that seems to work best. ExLax if it's really bad.

But seriously folks...usually has impact on you unless you are in staff or support functions like Accounting.

ImpactedTSG

Our district is being consolidated, any TSG people have experience with this?
Yeah, it's basic math. They combine the two districts and total up the number of techs (sum A). Then they come up the bare minimum of techs that they can run the district with (sum B). A - B = number of techs left standing. From there they will make a list from top to bottom with a cutoff line. Anyone above the line is safe, any one below the line is "Impacted". That is how I got my name. Have no fear. If you are impacted you will get a seperation package which is usually a few thousand dollars and a new lease on life outside of UPS.

caspers1

I've been reading about the lay offs listed. DFW Dallas Hub is closing down midnight sort.They are having all comb works rebid jobs. All week we come in look at a list that changes from day to day some jobs added some taken off. They say we no longer have a 8 hour guarantee . My shift for the last 13 years was 5am or 6am to 2pm 3pm.
As of Feb 13th I will work 3:30am to 7:30am then 5pm to8:30pm . 100 plus workers will work hours of this sort with 5 to 8 hours from one shift to the next ! What happened to the new contract ? These hours are life changing for workers and family.
P.S. we had only 2 or 3 days notice of change. If you don't pick when called you are moved to bottom of list of seniority list.

pretzel_man

nothing official just rumors

heard that there is no "separation package" this time

also that unofficially there will most certainly be another round during the second quarter

of course it's all just because of the economy :surprised: :wink2:

There will be a severence package if the district consolidation causes job elimination. We heard that in a meeting today. This is ONLY for the affected districts.

There is no management ERO planned.

P-Man

There will be a severence package if the district consolidation causes job elimination. We heard that in a meeting today. This is ONLY for the affected districts.

There is no management ERO planned.

P-Man

I talked to a couple techs who lost jobs in a consolidated district, and they said no severance packages there either...?

We are also hearing no ERO except for corporate jobs.

tsgtech

I am one of the tech's impacted in my district, and we are getting a seperation package. It's not much, but I'll take it. The package includes 12 weeks pay (taxed at 38%) and two months of benefits. My advice to anyone that could be impacted or is impacted.....take the money and run!

Dfigtree

I am one of the tech's impacted in my district, and we are getting a seperation package. It's not much, but I'll take it. The package includes 12 weeks pay (taxed at 38%) and two months of benefits. My advice to anyone that could be impacted or is impacted.....take the money and run!

I hear Microsoft is looking for people.