UPS Mail Solutions becomming real threat to teamster jobs.

rod

Retired 22 years
I deliver to an ex REA Express driver. He had 28 years in when they folded. I'll ask him where he was on the seniority list.

A very good friend of mine was #2 on the REA Express list around here with his father-in law as #1. When the lights are turned out it don't matter what your number is. About 40 years ago a major weekly magazine (Time- US News or one of those biggies) printed an artical intitled "What Makes Brown Run". It was a glowing story about how efficiant and great UPS was. The last paragraph in the artical said basically UPS was un stoppable if it continued on the same path it was on-----------------------------the only thing that could bring it down was "Bad Management" . -----------I see the company worrying more about petty stuff now days than developing or even saving what market share they have. Call me Mr. gloom and doom but I wouldn't be so positive as upstate. I think the writing is on the wall. I very seldom have the UPS truck show up at my house. It's most always Fedex Ground or Parcel Post .

NHDRVR

I deliver about 15-20 pieces a day to my PO. These are stops I should have. The piece count varies from route to route (curious about that) and I find it odd that the sizes of the packages are not small. Again, these should be mine and it's technically OT I am handing over. Does anyone have any other info. of the details behind this and how did the union let it slip by? Just wondering....

beentheredonethat

I deliver about 15-20 pieces a day to my PO. These are stops I should have. The piece count varies from route to route (curious about that) and I find it odd that the sizes of the packages are not small. Again, these should be mine and it's technically OT I am handing over. Does anyone have any other info. of the details behind this and how did the union let it slip by? Just wondering....

The OP started talking about Mail Innovations. You are talking about UPS Basic.
In either event they are similar but Mail Innovations is for sub 1 lb packages and 100% get delivered end mile via USPS. The Basic pkgs are typically 1-10 lbs and get picked up, processed and delivered 100% by UPS, but some of those deliveries are to the USPS, and they deliver it the final mile. Typically we wouldn't have the majority of those pkgs if we didn't offer basic, they would instead go to FDX Smartpost where 100% of the pkgs would be delivered via USPS.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I deliver to an ex REA Express driver. He had 28 years in when they folded. I'll ask him where he was on the seniority list.

I was going to say the exact same thing in reference to working at DHL. Nobody's job is safe at this company anymore. Not someone with 28 days, not someone with 28 years. This company's loyalty is to its stock holders, not it's employees.

If anything, those closest to retirement (that is those who are close to costing the company money to sit at home retired) have the biggest target on their backs.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
A very good friend of mine was #2 on the REA Express list around here with his father-in law as #1. When the lights are turned out it don't matter what your number is. About 40 years ago a major weekly magazine (Time- US News or one of those biggies) printed an artical intitled "What Makes Brown Run". It was a glowing story about how efficiant and great UPS was. The last paragraph in the artical said basically UPS was un stoppable if it continued on the same path it was on-----------------------------the only thing that could bring it down was "Bad Management" . -----------I see the company worrying more about petty stuff now days than developing or even saving what market share they have. Call me Mr. gloom and doom but I wouldn't be so positive as upstate. I think the writing is on the wall. I very seldom have the UPS truck show up at my house. It's most always Fedex Ground or Parcel Post .

The writing is om the wall. If UPS doesn't figure out how to match their cost to serve the trend will continue.
They have a lower cost to serve so they can charge less and still make more money per piece, even if their service is slightly worse than ours. In the end customers are more concerned about cost than perfect service. They are taking ground market share from us and growing fast in the ground business. We are taking market share from them in the air business. The pay rate and benefit cost of our drivers is the primary difference in cost. In other categories, we are more cost effective than them.

I was going to say the exact same thing in reference to working at DHL. Nobody's job is safe at this company anymore. Not someone with 28 days, not someone with 28 years. This company's loyalty is to its stock holders, not it's employees.

If anything, those closest to retirement (that is those who are close to costing the company money to sit at home retired) have the biggest target on their backs.

What make a person near retirement have a target on their back? The cost to the company is the same as any driver thats not in progression. The expense for retirement has already been paid to the union. There is no retirement savings associated with eliminating a senior driver from a cost standpoint.

Same here, most if not 90% of the deliveries I receive are Fedex Ground or Parcel Post.

thessalonian13

How does the Post Office win when they lost almost 3 billion last year? Sooner or later they're prices on priority mail
have got to go up. There is no way they can keep that going. Any other business would have been long gone with this way of doing business.
Hasn't the post office posted multi-billion dollar losses in each of the last 5 years? We have posted between $2.5 (on a bad year) and $4.5 billion (good year) in profits for the past 8 years. I don't get it? How does the post office stay in business?

klein

Für Meno :)
I on the other hand give the US postal service full credit.
A price of a stamp is 37 cents ??
Cheapest in the entire western world.
Canada pays 60 cents, Europe over a dollar.
And hardly anyone else has Saturday delivery.

What are the options if USPS does no longer exist ?
UPS ? Standard envelope around $8 - $12 ?
Just 1 minute of UPS drivers wage is 50 cents (more then the stamp), add your bennies, vactation and pension to that, it's close to a dollar.
ofcourse, you'll need to add the truck expenses, ( + wear and tear, maintenance, gasoline), the longhaul fleet, sorting, useless sups and managers wages, and other desk jobs. Plus working 6 days a week instead of 5.

You really need to wonder how good the USPS is doing, and not knock them down !
They are very effecient ,that only UPS could dream of becomming.

Like I said, if it was up to commen sense, : Good-bye Saturday delivery , and charge 50 cents per stamp !
Let them run a nice huge profit for a change. (which is probably illegal there though, too) - against congress - they are probably not allowed to run profits !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hasn't the post office posted multi-billion dollar losses in each of the last 5 years? We have posted between $2.5 (on a bad year) and $4.5 billion (good year) in profits for the past 8 years. I don't get it? How does the post office stay in business?

Go to page 4 of this PDF at
http://www.usps.com/financials/_pdf/...eport_2010.pdf
and you can see the actual picture.

The USPS is actually being forced to over-contribute $5 Billion per year to pre-fund the Postal Service’s Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) pension fund.
No other government pension fund nor any private company is required to "pre-fund" a pension fund and the USPS is asking the government oversight committee to treat the USPS like all other pension funds in a pay-as-you-go method.
The USPS reports losing $2.8 in 2010 due to this $5 B overpayment.
The USPS has accumulated $12 Billion in US Government debt as a result of these required over-payments since 2006. If the over-funding is reversed by the USPS oversight committee then the USPS would have had an 8 billion profit over the last 5 years.
As a side note, the USPS had no debt in 2005 before this over-funding started in 2006.
There are provisions in the privatization of the USPS for the US Government to loan the USPS funds to negate any losses.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Makes perfect sense. UPS spends less on fuel, less on management, less on OT/paying drivers, possibly picks up more NDA volume (obviously businesses tend to favor such services). Meaner and leaner?

klein

Für Meno :)
email. Scan it and send it. Your post office is living on borrowed time.

News for you, fax machines have been around for over 25years !

I just recently had an automatic bank withdrawel bounce (Didn't know I was $7.00 short in my chequing account).
Called up the company, and asked them if they could just make another withdrawel.
They said no, I needed to mail in a cheque.

Well, cheques faxed or e-mailed are no good to them, ofcourse.
A lot of documents are not approved if faxed or e-mailed. They want your original signature on that document.

I still get most of my bills, and investment statements by snail mail, too.
The post offices might be downsizing, due to e-mails, but going out of business - just can't see that happening.
If I send a xmas card or letter to the US for $1.00, is UPS ready to take it over at the border, and deliver it for even a lower price, after Canada Post gets a cut ?
Or will regular mail suddenly cost $5.00 per letter ?
If so, then the USPS can truely survive at those rates !

tieguy

Banned
The customer was happy with UPS, but our so called sales team would go in to the business almost weekly and push this mail crap relentlessly, so now the drivers in our center will be picking up 4000 less a day, that means more stops and less routes on the road. So starting monday a strange white box truck will go in and pick up the same boxes we were on friday.

are the vans staffed by mexicans? I need to know so I can get the full hate effect....:)