Ups morale!!

bumped

I'm not sure anyone cares how you all feel. The Teamsters have made it this way. The reason you are all miserable is because you can't get a job anywhere else. Your trapped.

Your right most of us are trapped. My college education is pretty much useless now since its been so many years since I used it. I would have to relearn most of it plus I would have to start out at an entry level position by having no experience. I'm pretty much priced in to the UPS job when considering the pay, benefits, and vacation time.

UPSSOCKS

As your job should of been threatened. It is prohibited for union workers to take pictures. You could have been terminated on the spot. I had a preloader taking pictures of damages one time and I instructed the supervisor to take his id and walk him out. Greivance was filed seven years ago and the guy still hasn't come back. However a few months after the greivance was filed he showed up at the security booth trying to get in. We had to call the state police.

Well it can be a pretty tough and stressful job when not everyone is committed to being a team-player, and it irks me sometimes. I cannot control what others do or do not do, I do my job to the best of my ability and the heck with everyone else. I show up everyday, come in on time, and do what needs to be done. I hang back when I feel the need to and jump right in when time is getting tight. It's all I can do...the best that I can. I like the job because it is challenging at times and the challenge is what motivates me to keep coming back for more.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As your job should of been threatened. It is prohibited for union workers to take pictures. You could have been terminated on the spot. I had a preloader taking pictures of damages one time and I instructed the supervisor to take his id and walk him out. Greivance was filed seven years ago and the guy still hasn't come back. However a few months after the greivance was filed he showed up at the security booth trying to get in. We had to call the state police.

It was the supervisor who instructed the preloader to load that way. She should have her butt handed to her. Talk about stealing time.
I have been instructed by sups when I was on preload to take pictures of damages. Why shouldn't the sup get fired? I am sure you will have another excuse like your other excuses.

menotyou

bella amicizia

How tall are you? You seem to have- never mind.

brownboxman

Yes the morale is falling at our center. We are working for a company who's sole purpose is profit, yeah I know a lot of you are saying, Duh! Well when most people go out to start something they want two things, wealth and satisfaction in their purpose. Well the second is gone from any motivation upper management has. Greed is the driving force in most decisions in this company. From the top to the bottom. When I started their was a pride amongst drivers in the fact they worked for a well run, service oriented business. Customers and the public looked to the UPS driver as the standard in delivery. With that wearing a brown uniform had some respect. Well that may still be the case, we as UPS employees have lost all standing in the company as worthy people. We are numbers, from center level management down. Sure the pay goes up, the benies are there. But year after year an erosion of the gratitude from upper level is more than apparent. All of the little things that gave us an indication that we were at least a little appreciated have been replaced with one line, You are payed well. So back to my original statement, we have the good pay, but gone is the satisfaction of purpose. Basically it comes to me like this, You are over paid , now shut up and do your job!

BCFan

i take pix every time my load is bad along with all the top secret memo's that i can sneak in and find ....send them all to a unnamed communist country in return for baby seal skins..... BC

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
i take pix every time my load is bad along with all the top secret memo's that i can sneak in and find ....send them all to a unnamed communist country in return for baby seal skins..... BC

Getting technology such as Windows 95 is also another way to procure rare items, the tears of orphan children for example. I hear they store jars of them down in ATL when upper management is thirsty and out of tiger blood.

Last edited:

The Milkman

Yes the morale is falling at our center. We are working for a company who's sole purpose is profit, yeah I know a lot of you are saying, Duh! Well when most people go out to start something they want two things, wealth and satisfaction in their purpose. Well the second is gone from any motivation upper management has. Greed is the driving force in most decisions in this company. From the top to the bottom. When I started their was a pride amongst drivers in the fact they worked for a well run, service oriented business. Customers and the public looked to the UPS driver as the standard in delivery. With that wearing a brown uniform had some respect. Well that may still be the case, we as UPS employees have lost all standing in the company as worthy people. We are numbers, from center level management down. Sure the pay goes up, the benies are there. But year after year an erosion of the gratitude from upper level is more than apparent. All of the little things that gave us an indication that we were at least a little appreciated have been replaced with one line, You are payed well. So back to my original statement, we have the good pay, but gone is the satisfaction of purpose. Basically it comes to me like this, You are over paid , now shut up and do your job!

AMEN To That!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:peaceful:

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Our previous center manager kept 3 digital cameras in the office. Part time supervisors and hourly employees were instructed to photograph damaged packages arriving for delivery or picked up from customers.

They were used to prevent our center from being charged with these damages and prompt others to clean up their act. In the end it worked to prevent damages. No wonder you have so many problems.

dillweed

Back to morale, it's everywhere- not just UPS. My sister's a pharmacist and she works 13 hour days in retail by herself. Some days she gets no chance to eat at all. No tech to help, no break. Sometimes she has several waiting at the pick-up window, one at the drop-off window and a phone call on hold.

My good friend works for a store that sells computer games and cds. She fears for her job because she has trouble pushing the extras such as extended warantees (sp), magazines and frequent shopper cards. This woman has been a good employee for many years, filling in as manager when needed and walking through NY snow to open the store when no one else could make it.

Another friend in high-end clothing retail has also worked her butt off for this place at least fifteen years. They are now pressuring her to buy and wear the clothing they sell. She certainly cannot afford $120 for a blouse. They push her to accessorize (another sp) so customers want the same. She is in her fifties and has a few extra pounds. They want younger, more attractive managers. Her feet are shot due to the running she has done for them. She has to wear supportive shoes with tie-up laces. They are on her for not wearing high heels and cute sandals. They told her to get her feet fixed and out of those supportive shoes.

These issues have become worse in the past six months, much like at UPS. Customer service and quality are pushed but we're not allowed the time or self-respect to concentrate on it. Little things like spending a few minutes being personable to customers, making them feel like important human beings are gone. No time, no time for that.

Seems it should eventually catch up with big business. Customers waiting too long, being shorted on communication and attention, exhausted and impatient service workers.

So many levels of management that constructive comments from the bottom never make it up the ranks as they were intended. Each level of management minimizes the issues so that, by the time it makes it to someone who can DO something, it's a non-issue.

The only thing we can do is work to our best standards and have no regrets. Let the warnings and threats happen because we cannot stop it. Do the best we can and let the chips fall.

UPSSOCKS

Our previous center manager kept 3 digital cameras in the office. Part time supervisors and hourly employees were instructed to photograph damaged packages arriving for delivery or picked up from customers.

They were used to prevent our center from being charged with these damages and prompt others to clean up their act. In the end it worked to prevent damages. No wonder you have so many problems.

"No wonder you have so many problems" Who? Me? I don't have any problems? The company? They aren't doing so bad either. I'm not sure your direction on that statement.

Whoever instructed a union employeee to photograph anything is just plain lazy. Photographing damages, load quality, packages with data errors and so on is essential and very effective. However these pictures should not be taken by a union member. It's not their job. Period. Your center manager should have known better. The second you guys are permitted to take pictures someone will file a greivance to be "the picture taker." You will want it to be a preferred job based off of past practice.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Yeah..you're right. Our previous center manager should have known better. I guess that's why he was promoted and oversees more than 1 hub. And you're still........ Well. Maybe someday you'll figure out what direction to take. But wait.....If you did, we'd all miss you.
"No wonder you have so many problems" Who? Me? I don't have any problems? The company? They aren't doing so bad either. I'm not sure your direction on that statement.

Whoever instructed a union employeee to photograph anything is just plain lazy. Photographing damages, load quality, packages with data errors and so on is essential and very effective. However these pictures should not be taken by a union member. It's not their job. Period. Your center manager should have known better. The second you guys are permitted to take pictures someone will file a greivance to be "the picture taker." You will want it to be a preferred job based off of past practice.

washington57

I kind of want to do this. I have been instructed to takes pictures plenty of times in the past...