UPS old school

34yearpackagehumper

A driver was really being hounded by this prick of center manager, riding with him all the time. He finally snapped, he slammed on the brakes and nearly put the guy through the windshield! Got fired though.
That's going back a little ways ! Lol As you know all package cars now have jump seats with seatbelts on them . They are very uncomfortable but it beats standing and holding on for dear life . As for getting fired we have more management people that got the axe around my town than hourlies. About 15 or so years ago I saw my ex (fired sup) in the post office one Saturday morning he was cussing UPS for everything he could think of. I let him finish and I politely said "you put the tie on " end of story. He thought about it for a minute and said you are right, I smiled and walked away !!!!!!!

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
That's going back a little ways ! Lol As you know all package cars now have jump seats with seatbelts on them . They are very uncomfortable but it beats standing and holding on for dear life . As for getting fired we have more management people that got the axe around my town than hourlies. About 15 or so years ago I saw my ex (fired sup) in the post office one Saturday morning he was cussing UPS for everything he could think of. I let him finish and I politely said "you put the tie on " end of story. He thought about it for a minute and said you are right, I smiled and walked away !!!!!!!
The old trucks had brackets for a jump seat, but you had to get one and put it in, could be a real pain. Usually just stood up. I had a supe ride with me once who actually put a seat in the bracket wrong, he sat in and buckled up, promptly fell off with the seat still buckled around him. Lmao! Long day.

allahuakbar

She/Her
Millionaire at this point...

But LOTS of responsibilities.

I started in my teens at UPS.

We have feeder drivers who started in the 1960s
What keeps you here then? Are you afraid you’re gonna die when you retire? Are you an anti-fun person? Don’t you have any places you’ve never gone before?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
wasnt it 1 copy if it was going over the road. pull 2 copies if it was going on the train? i take it thats a thing of the past.
That I don’t remember but it sounds familiar. But it is a thing of the past. It’s all electronic now.

Your hub is the heaviest flowing destination at my hub, by the way. Fun fact.

Whither

Scofflaw
Back then the Center Manager told the customer to use another carrier if they had a complaint. Knowing there was only the PO. Now an anomalous complaint will see you fighting for your job. UPS can replace a $40/hr delivery driver with a $20/hr new hire tomorrow.
Not true in my experience. But the "complaints" against me have all been pretty comical. Manager at business, after I gave him a 10 min heads up with all the information written down, wants me to wait around when I return until he till decides to cut a COD check. Older woman yells at me after I've started up the pkg car, apparently so I could pick up and her the 2lb shoe box I left next to her door, and is outraged by how "rude" I was to wave and drive off. Resi consignee furious, after I went out of my way and made contact with her for a sig required delivery (NDA meds), because I let her know that the signed note she left at the front door wasn't sufficient. And so on.

Also don't be so sure that capable people are lining up at the door to take this job. My center had 2 rookies quit this summer during their packet over being scheduled 6 days. I ran into one recently; he's very happy with his choice to get into the HVAC trade. Several others that didn't pan out, were totally lost on their own haha.

UnionStrong

Not true in my experience. But the "complaints" against me have all been pretty comical. Manager at business, after I gave him a 10 min heads up with all the information written down, wants me to wait around when I return until he till decides to cut a COD check. Older woman yells at me after I've started up the pkg car, apparently so I could pick up and her the 2lb shoe box I left next to her door, and is outraged by how "rude" I was to wave and drive off. Resi consignee furious, after I went out of my way and made contact with her for a sig required delivery (NDA meds), because I let her know that the signed note she left at the front door wasn't sufficient. And so on.

Also don't be so sure that capable people are lining up at the door to take this job. My center had 2 rookies quit this summer during their packet over being scheduled 6 days. I ran into one recently; he's very happy with his choice to get into the HVAC trade. Several others that didn't pan out, were totally lost on their own haha.
People suck

Whither

Scofflaw
People suck
I never mind giving them my name and pkg car number "1-800-PICK-UPS, complain all the live long day." A while back an on-car met me at a business delivery. Owner had cussed me out and complained because I wouldn't let him open up every box that had a minor degree of damage to inspect the goods and decide if he was going to keep it lol. They hashed it out, and I added more than a few words to the tense discussion haha. Of course the on-car backed me and told me only to not "fan the flames." :wink-very: Owner started shipping his more poorly-packed goods freight (and complained to me about freight charges lol, "Yep, shipping's expensive") and has behaved himself ever since.

UnionStrong

I never mind giving them my name and pkg car number "1-800-PICK-UPS, complain all the live long day." A while back an on-car met me at a business delivery. Owner had cussed me out and complained because I wouldn't let him open up every box that had a minor degree of damage to inspect the goods and decide if he was going to keep it lol. They hashed it out, and I added more than a few words to the tense discussion haha. Of course the on-car backed me and told me only to not "fan the flames." :wink-very: Owner started shipping his more poorly-packed goods freight (and complained to me about freight charges lol, "Yep, shipping's expensive") and has behaved himself ever since.
I loved idiots that wanted to open a COD before paying! Not!