UPS On Road Supervisor paygrade or salary

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm kind of in the same boat. I spent 11 years as a part-time supervisor/OMS and now I'm a week away from finishing my 30-day probationary period for package driving. My center manager let me go driving in order to help me get promoted to an On-Car Supervisor for our center. The only reason I'd even consider going back to management is because I've been with the company long enough that I'm grandfathered into the old management pension plan. I'm going to ask for $6600/month and take no less if I'm offered a job. At least now I'll have driving rather than PT supervision to fall back on if they don't give me what I'm looking for (I live in the SF bay area so what I'm asking for is not an absurd amount of money, especially considering the hours I'll be putting in).

That's 80k, you pay for some of your insurance, you get to be placed in a very stressful environment, working the same amount of hours drivers do while making 10-20k more than you. That's if they actually gave you what you wanted.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Except management gets fired for lack of meeting goals or in some cases, meeting goals but meeting them not as well as others in your group.
A management person can be found as "needs improvement", even when they meet every goal, if others did even better.
Half of the management people you see "needs improvement" even if they are doing a good job.

If a management person is performing well, they can max out or even get promoted or moved to a higher grade.

Most other companies do not classify professional or skilled labor as management like UPS does.
UPS likes to classify people as management even if they do not materially make decisions in the running of the company because it provides flexibility and accountability.
Pretty much impossible to organize and the vast majority would not be interested.
"Management-type" people in the US are expected to work for 6 or 7 companies in their career. UPS is in the process of migrating to this model.

This is what happens in PC as well, hence why those of us get onto runner gunners, and much like management, some use scrupulous means to beat their goals.

brownboyups

About 23 an hour, decent money, but you live at UPS even more than drivers. No pension, pay for healthcare, higher stress move you at will etc.. UPS is consolidating not expanding. If it was the 70s or 80s it would be worth it.

i tell everyone don't do it...i see people that do are looking for an out lifting boxes...full time drivers have the best deal in the company
​(my opinion)

Froggie

Use part time to your advantage. Get your masters degree before full time management. As pt supervisor you have earned the respect of those you supervise. As a full time on road supervisor with no experience you will be in charge of harassment. You will be resented by those who will have good reason to resent you. If you do not get your degree at least drive for a couple of years. Be honest with yourself about why you would want to be the most despised man at work.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
no way in hell go into management. listen to froggie. your basically selling your sole to the devil. you will have to lie,cheat and steal in management. i had a buddy that was a driver for 30 days and went ft supe and he tells me all the time when he comes over and hangs out he wishes he never did it because of all the bs they put him through. it would be like you being a cop and stopping someone for something u used to always do, youd be a hypocrite.driver gets the blame for everything,everything management,dispatch and loaders do wrong we get the blame. weve had 6 ft driver supes in our group in 7 years. you know what they all have in common? they all failed because their not going to give you the tools and the resources to susceed. you could be smart enough,have a great work ethic and have all the skills to be suscessfull but if they dont provide the tools and resources you need forget it. just drive youll still have the headaches and a lil stress but not like you would if you were in management. good luck dude

tranham

Have a feeder dept with mileage runs? I made $2700 in one week with 50hrs on clock as a cover driver. Do the math and consider how little physical work these drivers do. And don't forget about the A/C. We have like 10 guys still working who were hired in the sixties!

Robert

Mikey9_18

no way in hell go into management. listen to froggie. your basically selling your sole to the devil. you will have to lie,cheat and steal in management. i had a buddy that was a driver for 30 days and went ft supe and he tells me all the time when he comes over and hangs out he wishes he never did it because of all the bs they put him through. it would be like you being a cop and stopping someone for something u used to always do, youd be a hypocrite.driver gets the blame for everything,everything management,dispatch and loaders do wrong we get the blame. weve had 6 ft driver supes in our group in 7 years. you know what they all have in common? they all failed because their not going to give you the tools and the resources to susceed. you could be smart enough,have a great work ethic and have all the skills to be suscessfull but if they dont provide the tools and resources you need forget it. just drive youll still have the headaches and a lil stress but not like you would if you were in management. good luck dude

What are the tools and resources needed succeed? What are they not providing that will help you and others?

Clinton1997

The question is what position are you in now? Not a driver obviously. If you are a part-time sup they are going to screw the hell out of you with a lowball salary. Probably around $60-65K, and even with the MIP you will still be making in the neighborhood of $20,000 less than the people you supervise. Then factor in what you will be paying in benefits and it's even worse. This is your one and only time to negotiate your salary, I would advise you to not do it for less than $80,000. Think about the difference in those salaries compounded over a career.

A lot PT Sups have this dilema, $60,000 sounds like a ton of money and they rush to take it. Then a few years down the road they realize everyone around them (other friend/t sups included) is making so much more. The job sucks enough without the thought of being grossly underpaid.
I've been driving at UPS for 1 year now. My YTD came out to be 44,649.95. No set schedule either... 60 to 65k sounds good to me considering I don't have to ruin my body.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I've been driving at UPS for 1 year now. My YTD came out to be 44,649.95. No set schedule either... 60 to 65k sounds good to me considering I don't have to ruin my body.
Listen here stupid, you’ll be paying for your own benefits, no pension, unattainable goals with no protection, and could get moved anywhere at anytime. Break down the amount of hours you work for your salary and you’ll be taking a pay cut. Still sound good? Then good luck! Otherwise, slow down, toughen up and carry on.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Listen here stupid, you’ll be paying for your own benefits, no pension, unattainable goals with no protection, and could get moved anywhere at anytime. Break down the amount of hours you work for your salary and you’ll be taking a pay cut. Still sound good? Then good luck! Otherwise, slow down, toughen up and carry on.
1. Benefits cost almost nothing
2. Pensions suck massive balls over a good 401k
3. Unattainable goals? That's literally every job at UPS
4. You don't need protection as long as you don't edit timecards or lie about something safety related
5. You can't get moved just anywhere, there are limits and frankly the days where a DM had a guy commute 90min until he quit have been dead for at least 5 years; management culture is changing

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Don't forget to include the cost of both healthcare and funding your retirement. With no pension you will need 7 figures in that account.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
4. You don't need protection as long as you don't edit timecards or lie about something safety related
5. You can't get moved just anywhere, there are limits and frankly the days where a DM had a guy commute 90min until he quit have been dead for at least 5 years; management culture is changing
Lol

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Gee..sounds good...we’re do I sign up? 👍

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Subtract all you have to pay for, then divide that number by all the hours you have to work, minus the overtime pay you are not getting.

Compare that to a veteran driver taking 3 weeks off in a row every summer.