UPS Policy On Hitting A Dog

over9five

Staff member
"..she hit a cow"

When management went crazy when she reported this, did she say, "Don't have a cow, man"!!! ??

C'mon, theres gotta be some good cow jokes on this.

By the way, did the brown cow survive the accident?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Happy to oblige.....

A lady from the city and her traveling companion were riding the train through Vermont when she noticed some cows.

"What a cute bunch of cows!" she remarked.
"Not a bunch, herd", her friend replied.
"Heard of what?"
"Herd of cows."
"Of course I've heard of cows."
"No, a cow herd."
"What do I care what a cow heard. I have no secrets to keep from a cow!"

:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]Q: What goes oo ooo oooo?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]A: A cow with no lips. [/FONT]

O

oldupsman

I swear this is a true story. One I love to tell whenever the chance comes up. Just retired with 32 years as a full time package driver. I got tons of stories.
Anyway this is around my 15th year or so. Ran my route for 27 years. Delivering in a oldp600. Little 3 street housing section. There every day. This little mutt terrier mix. Always loose. Always yapping. Chased me every day. I was always being careful not to hit it. I don't remember why, guess I was just having a bad day you know, but on this particular day instead of slowing down I said "Bleep you" and hit the gas instead of slowing down. Thump, thump. Oops. Look in the mirror. Little dog laying on its side. Tail still wagging. I stop. Get out. Walk up to the dog. Freakin thing is laying there in its last moments still yapping at me.
Now just at this moment I look up and see the local cop come into the division on his daily rounds. This was a small township, little 6 man force. Piece of advice to you younger folks. I always made it a point to know my cops. Knew them all on a first name basis. Especially this chief. He had a little side business refinishing furniture. Used to stop me whenever he had a package coming in to see if I had it.
Anyway the chief is the one on duty that day. He stops, walks over, says hello. Just about that moment our little friend kicks the bucket. Same time a neighbor comes walking out to see what's up. Remember, this is a small community. Neighbor looks at the chief and says "Well I guess this solves the problem." Chief says "Yep." I say "What problem?' Neighbor says "Everybody hates this dog." Chief says, "I get complaints all the time about this dog. Don't know how many times I been there telling them to tie the dog up or do something. Pain in my neck." I say "Well chief, what do you want me to do?" Chief says, "I don't know, drag it over to their front door and leave a note or something. I'll back you up." So I drag the dog over to the front door, newer home, no front porch and put a DELIVERY NOTICE ON IT'S COLLAR. Leave the center manager name and our center phone number.
Get back to the building. About 6:30. center manager is still there. I say "Get any phone calls." He looks up says "What happened?" There's 5 or 6 other drivers standing there. I tell the story, everybody cracks up. center manager, who was a good guy, says thanks for the heads up, we'll deal with it when he calls. Well we never heard a word. Customer never called. Saw the chief a couple days later, says he never heard anything either. Haven't told that story for years but just sitting here puts a smile on my face. Hey those 32 years weren't all bad. There were some funny times. Gotta tell ya the truth, never felt guilty about that one. And to all you dog lovers out there, I love dogs, got 3 myself. But mine are part of the family and well behaved. Stay safe.

Big Babooba

We had a driver that was told he would be charged with an accident for running over the dog... then the on road found out that the dog was ran over in front of the neighbors house. So it was'nt on the owners property so it was not UPS's fault.

Another driver ran over a cat... Cats are fair game you can run them over and it's ok... good for you, bad for the cat:laughing:
In Massachusetts you have to call the police if you hit a dog. Not so for a cat.

MrUPSguY

Red Headed Step Child
"..she hit a cow"

When management went crazy when she reported this, did she say, "Don't have a cow, man"!!! ??

C'mon, theres gotta be some good cow jokes on this.

By the way, did the brown cow survive the accident?

The cow returned to its daily routine of grazing and lived a pleasant life until the McDonald's truck showed up to see how many quarter pounders they could get out of him. :wink2:

wornoutupser

OK< I have to add to this one!

I used to deliver a area that could afford anything that they wanted. I mean anything!

One house had a dog that bit everyone that delivered there. UPS,Fed Ex, the mikman, you name it and he bit them including myself. The folks paid the pound $1000.00 just once that I know about to get the dog back and he was picked up about once a month.

One day the mutt ran me into the garage. The owners were not home but there was a fully loaded AK 47 loaded with a full clip at the back door. I SERIOUSLY considered using it but security pulled up right as it happened.

They distracted the dog while I ran back to the truck!

satellitedriver

OK< I have to add to this one!

I used to deliver a area that could afford anything that they wanted. I mean anything!

One house had a dog that bit everyone that delivered there. UPS,Fed Ex, the mikman, you name it and he bit them including myself. The folks paid the pound $1000.00 just once that I know about to get the dog back and he was picked up about once a month.

One day the mutt ran me into the garage. The owners were not home but there was a fully loaded AK 47 loaded with a full clip at the back door. I SERIOUSLY considered using it but security pulled up right as it happened.

They distracted the dog while I ran back to the truck!
They distracted the dog?
How did they do it? Call him off by saying "GOOD BOY"
I'd have taken the AK "in trade".
BTW, why do they need security when they have a bad dog running loose and a fully loaded
AK in the garage?

wornoutupser

They distracted the dog?
How did they do it? Call him off by saying "GOOD BOY"
I'd have taken the AK "in trade".
BTW, why do they need security when they have a bad dog running loose and a fully loaded
AK in the garage?

These folks pay more in a year for security than I make. I cant mention specifics but think of same national brand names-those folks live here!

AlaskaMike

Up here hitting a dog is an accident. Domestic animals are property and it's considered property damage. So if you run over a chihuahua it's an accident, but if you run over a squirrel it isn't.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Up here hitting a dog is an accident. Domestic animals are property and it's considered property damage. So if you run over a chihuahua it's an accident, but if you run over a squirrel it isn't.

mike, off topic, but since your up in alaska can you answer a few questions. First, do you know how many centers ups has in alaska. Second, do you know how ground packages from lower 48 are transported up to you guys, truck, barge?? Also, do you guys get some sort of pay allowance for being in an expensive, secluded area. One more thing, what is the most rural route that you know of that is run by an actual ups employee...no contractors. Just curious thanks.