ups retirement health ins

Pismo Bill

Couldn't have said it better as I take the knife out of my back. 30 years of service and being thrown to the curb. Retirees should have to the right to vote after their service, these are benefits that were earned. We paid our dues, and we should be able to vote on any policies that will affect us. I don't recall anything in my book that was given to me when I retired that said they could increase my insurance premiums after retirement. The only notation was my premiums would continue at $50 per month. Maybe I overlooked it.
in the retirees health benefits booklet before last contract there was a one sentence statement that said if the average amount a retiree used exceeded $6500.00 then UPS could raise your premiums.

cachmeifucan

So god willing I will have 30 years full-time at age 56. So my question is I will pay for insurance but how long does it last do the kick you on medicare at 65

ski or die

Ski or Die
So god willing I will have 30 years full-time at age 56. So my question is I will pay for insurance but how long does it last do the kick you on medicare at 65
All local supplements are somewhat different. Mine was any age with at least 30 years service. Insurance for my spouse and me continued until 65 with premiums that were only $50. I reached 65 and no longer eligible for Teamcare but my spouse is still covered until she reaches 65 but the premiums for her alone have tripled to $150 per month. When you get on Medicare get a good Supplement and also purchase your own dental and eye care. This insurance is better than Medicare Advantage whose deductibles are quite higher. With a good Supplement, your out of pocket costs are much better than Teamcare.

I've been working at UPS (part time) for 30 years and I am retiring next July (2019) when I turn 60. I called to find out how much I will have to pay for my insurance and I was told the following: I will get the best discount available on my insurance -- 30+ years of UPS paying into health & welfare for me and age 60+. I have to pay $660 a month for myself and $660 a month for my husband (this is the same rate that full time retirees pay and is the lowest rate available in my local). Teamstercare will require my husband to sign up for medicare (he is disabled and will be eligible) and they will reimburse me the $130 a month he has to pay so teamstercare will be secondary for him. My total cost will be $1190 a month with no guarantee it won't go up. Granted, the insurance is excellent with low co-pays and basically no out of pocket. But the premiums will cost me $14280 a year. Yes, that's $14,280 a year.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I've been working at UPS (part time) for 30 years and I am retiring next July (2019) when I turn 60. I called to find out how much I will have to pay for my insurance and I was told the following: I will get the best discount available on my insurance -- 30+ years of UPS paying into health & welfare for me and age 60+. I have to pay $660 a month for myself and $660 a month for my husband (this is the same rate that full time retirees pay and is the lowest rate available in my local). Teamstercare will require my husband to sign up for medicare (he is disabled and will be eligible) and they will reimburse me the $130 a month he has to pay so teamstercare will be secondary for him. My total cost will be $1190 a month with no guarantee it won't go up. Granted, the insurance is excellent with low co-pays and basically no out of pocket. But the premiums will cost me $14280 a year. Yes, that's $14,280 a year.

Ouch,I guess $400 a months not so bad

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What local?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You bring up a good point, all the more reason to stay in contact with current members and stress how important this will be for future members to push for improvements in this area.
I agree and have tried to talk to employees about this but for the most part they don't care about retirees unless they are also close to retirement. It's all about the "NOW" and not so much future.

in all fairness , I did not think much about retirees either until i was 5 years out from retiring. it must be human nature.

cachmeifucan

Th
All local supplements are somewhat different. Mine was any age with at least 30 years service. Insurance for my spouse and me continued until 65 with premiums that were only $50. I reached 65 and no longer eligible for Teamcare but my spouse is still covered until she reaches 65 but the premiums for her alone have tripled to $150 per month. When you get on Medicare get a good Supplement and also purchase your own dental and eye care. This insurance is better than Medicare Advantage whose deductibles are quite higher. With a good Supplement, your out of pocket costs are much better than Teamcare.
Thanks

twoweeled

Ouch,I guess $400 a months not so bad
Make no mistake. $400 a month is terrible. It just that some are even worse. For so many years, we paid $50 a month for the entire family. Then in a matter of three years, it goes up 6 times for some people! It's bad and will get worse, because we accepted the trade off. If active employees go for it again, then it will happen again.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
was wondering about that. my spouse turns 65 next year but i don't for 3 more. so we have to pay for medicare? or do we keep the teamster healthcare as a supplemental?

ski or die

Ski or Die
was wondering about that. my spouse turns 65 next year but i don't for 3 more. so we have to pay for medicare? or do we keep the teamster healthcare as a supplemental?
Depends on your local supplement. Some of the better ones are out West and make Medicare your primary and Teamcare your supplement at 65. Mine kicked me off at 65 and I had to purchase Medicare and a Supplement but my spouse is covered until she turns 65. Her premium is $150 per month, but reading some of the other posts, $400 to $1190 per month is pretty steep when your retired. Medicare is a lot cheaper. I would dump Teamcare at 65. Again, check your local supplement or contact your local's insurance department to be sure.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Depends on your local supplement. Some of the better ones are out West and make Medicare your primary and Teamcare your supplement at 65. Mine kicked me off at 65 and I had to purchase Medicare and a Supplement but my spouse is covered until she turns 65. Her premium is $150 per month, but reading some of the other posts, $400 to $1190 per month is pretty steep when your retired. Medicare is a lot cheaper. I would dump Teamcare at 65. Again, check your local supplement or contact your local's insurance department to be sure.
thank you very much. i have a year to do some homework on this. yes. i am in the western conference and now pay $75 a month for each of us.

rod

Retired 22 years
good thing my wife is 9 years younger

Why? That just means you will have to pay for her insurance out of your own pocket for 9 years. My wife is 4 years younger. When I went on Medicare it cost us close to 800 bucks a month for 4 years to insure her and that was for CRAP insurance.

cachmeifucan

Why? That just means you will have to pay for her insurance out of your own pocket for 9 years. My wife is 4 years younger. When I went on Medicare it cost us close to 800 bucks a month for 4 years to insure her and that was for CRAP insurance.
Wow thanks for info