ups retirement health ins

Can anyone answer this question. I'm getting ambiguous answers. If you retire and say in the next contract after you retire there is language pertaining to retirement health ins that actually improves a certain situation you have. Does that language in the new contract pertain to previous retired friend/t as myself or only retirees after that particular contract.

oldngray

nowhere special
A definite maybe.

A new contract can toss out old promises. You would think retirees would be grandfathered in but that doesn't always happen.

Don't count on any improvements though. If you are lucky you won't lose too much in the future.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would say probably not. Once you retire you are stuck with what was in place at the time. Once again--I could be wrong. Call your Local---"maybe" they can give you an answer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can anyone answer this question. I'm getting ambiguous answers. If you retire and say in the next contract after you retire there is language pertaining to retirement health ins that actually improves a certain situation you have. Does that language in the new contract pertain to previous retired friend/t as myself or only retirees after that particular contract.

Nope. You are governed by the language in the contract in effect at the time that you retired.

By The Book

It depends....If they negotiate or add funds for the purpose of improving the retiree health plan that you pay for, maybe so. The trustees of the retiree plan make changes, which they will notify the participants of the plan, in writing.

A definite maybe.

A new contract can toss out old promises. You would think retirees would be grandfathered in but that doesn't always happen.

Don't count on any improvements though. If you are lucky you won't lose too much in the future.
Absolutely. Before this contract retired couples were paying $100 a month. Now it's $400

Pismo Bill

each new contract can change a retirees benefits. do not look for any improvement the price of benefits will go up. best of all you do not get to vote after you retire.

ski or die

Ski or Die
each new contract can change a retirees benefits. do not look for any improvement the price of benefits will go up. best of all you do not get to vote after you retire.
Couldn't have said it better as I take the knife out of my back. 30 years of service and being thrown to the curb. Retirees should have to the right to vote after their service, these are benefits that were earned. We paid our dues, and we should be able to vote on any policies that will affect us. I don't recall anything in my book that was given to me when I retired that said they could increase my insurance premiums after retirement. The only notation was my premiums would continue at $50 per month. Maybe I overlooked it.

teeitupmo

Just curious..I am many years away from retirement, but are you guys saying that once a UPS employee retires, his/her medical coverage will continue after retirement?

twoweeled

The fact retirees can't vote, pretty much explains why retirees are the easiest to screw over. No ramifications to face from retirees. The ol divide and conquer also seems to apply a bit here.

twoweeled

Just curious..I am many years away from retirement, but are you guys saying that once a UPS employee retires, his/her medical coverage will continue after retirement?
As of today, yes. When you retiree, who knows. After you retire, you may have it for awhile, and then lose it. We are seeing now, everything is subject to change. Whatever was told to you now or before, is meaningless.

By The Book

The fact retirees can't vote, pretty much explains why retirees are the easiest to screw over. No ramifications to face from retirees. The ol divide and conquer also seems to apply a bit here.
You bring up a good point, all the more reason to stay in contact with current members and stress how important this will be for future members to push for improvements in this area.