UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

twoweeled

Then UPS Atlata called division manager in SF and instructed manager destroy all evidence of shooter filing grievances against company. Have to create the image that UPS did in no way drive this person to do this. The family of victims need to lawyer to preserve the company personal/disciplinary . records of shooter.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic. Company is capable of doing that, but the Union would have copies of grievances. Other disciplinary actions ie he said I said and other inquiries will probably disappear.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I used to think you were intelligent and informed

This comment made me realize you're either an :censored2: or blind to the company you work for.

The corporate culture of this, and many other companies is toxic towards employees

I'm sorry you can't admit it

I stopped reading this thread at this comment. I m going to continue now and hope you redeem your pathetic corporate kool aid drinking ass
He's a good kid.... but the cool aid is still fresh...

542thruNthru

Then UPS Atlata called division manager in SF and instructed manager destroy all evidence of shooter filing grievances against company. Have to create the image that UPS did in no way drive this person to do this. The family of victims need to lawyer to preserve the company personal/disciplinary . records of shooter.

They can destroy all they want. I believe the local would also have the grievances he had filed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There have been many people who are not "high risk" of mental illness that have done some terrible things in time of rage or anger... it doesn't just have to be a workplace violence issue....relationship murder/suicide, or just suicide in general...good solid people have been known to turn on a dime and do some horrible things to themselves or others... think the media and society in general thinks someone has to be"mentally ill" to pull these kinds of terrible acts off... absolutely not true!!!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Not defending the guy.... stop trying to make the company out like they are angels... any long term employee here could tell stories of just how low and pathetic a corporation can treat its employees, both hourly AND management....
I never claimed the company was angels, and I even noted that earlier. It's just a piss poor excuse to kill anybody

twoweeled

Yeah the company clearly left him with no choice but to murder. Give me a break
Yes, and when he requested a shorter day and they gave him the finger. Or when they'd take him in the office and grill him about production and claim it was about methods. Or when they'd take him in the office with 3-5 management and grill him over being in an accident - Management didn't have any other options either, did they?
Management up the ante along the way, and apparently so did this driver!
I'm not saying it's right, but sometimes we just push a little to much at the wrong time, about the wrong thing -
and Karma slaps our faces.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
How many more have to die until ups starts thinking to themselves..." could some of our outdated policies and such be causing more harm than good.....
You are literally blaming the company for the guy killing people.

You know what everybody else does when they hate their job? Get a new one.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Because security doesn't check anything when we walk in. Only out. Some of the drivers were just talking about this the other day. "Someone could bring in a gun and no one would know" we even walk through metal detectors that go off and they don't check anything" I smell a negligence lawsuit. I don't work in that building but another one in the area that has gone full steam ahead with heavy Saturdays with a skeleton crew and even heavier mondays with the Saturday pick ups since there is a huge Amazon hub just outside the Bay Area. We are getting slammed with a ton of pressure added. It's sad that this isn't a shocker. My prayers go out to all those involved and affected.
Agreed. Prayers for everyone.
We've had some close calls in my center. Things have gotten worse in the past 3 years. It was just a matter of time.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Doesn't that pretty much explain it all? Amazing. How long do you think it was, till management starting concerning themselves with "start work", who's on the clock, what code to use? I'd guess 40 minutes.
I agree with you and it's probably 100% true. and immensely sad.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I agree with you. However, put yourself into the mind of a man who requests 8 to make it to his kids graduation, or ballgame, or anniversary dinner with his wife, and the dispatcher effs it up. Now work Saturdays too? How much time is missed with family at this job? I know it is part of the job, but does it make it right? What's the real reason they can't put on more routes, get people in at a decent time? How many guys have to work here for 15 years, only to end up divorced, with weekend visits from kid? Everyone handles stress different, obviously this guy snapped, but you can't be so obtuse to think this is a surprise. Praying for victims and anyone who has to walk back through that gate to go back to work.
It's unfortunately the way this company is structured. But everybody knows it isn't a 9-5 job. That's just how it is. I spend more time in my building than anybody else, I get that the days are long. But snapping and killing someone, isn't how you handle the situation.

twoweeled

the name of the shooter is out, Jimmy Lam. He was in uniform and supposedly had a history of mental illness. Also they are saying it happened at the time of the PCM
I don't know if that name has been released in the news, but keep your name to yourself if it hasn't. Or, if you're an old guy who's been around the block there - flip them the bird and walk right into the office tomorrow where 3 managers and 2 sups and at least 1-2 Union Reps will be waiting for you. probably your Secretary Treasurer plus 1. They can't do anything, but they'll go for the spooking.
friend em!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So wait, we have a guy with known mental issues yet no one brings this up while he operates a motor vehicle capable of a lot more damage than an "assault pistol".

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I used to think you were intelligent and informed

This comment made me realize you're either an :censored2: or blind to the company you work for.

The corporate culture of this, and many other companies is toxic towards employees

I'm sorry you can't admit it

I stopped reading this thread at this comment. I m going to continue now and hope you redeem your pathetic corporate kool aid drinking ass
How will I sleep tonight?