UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

twoweeled

Sounds correct except for the fact that they are paying out 9.5 grievance money by the truck load and it seems (to some) that the only way out is to quit.

Isn't it interesting that when management snaps and a situation becomes threatening hr moves them. I've never seen any management person fired for threats and aggressive actions. They get moved at best from what we've experienced.

Evidently the company approves of hostile work environment actions when the aggression is from their ranks but as hourlies we have to fight our way through the layers of their attorneys to get justice when we've been wronged.

Add that to the frustration of long days, abusive dispatches, and problems at home precipitated at least in part because of the stress at work and extremely long hours.

This situation is not rectified because of the legality of complicit admission so good luck with fixing the issue when one side seemingly has their heads in the sand.
Murder is not the answer but the stock market should never override reality in a workplace that is too often pushed to it's limits.
I haven't been in package for many years. Personally, I didn't mind the OT. That's me. If you're a person who can't get a mindset on the advantage of OT and you have to have less hours - you may unfortunately be in for a rough time. Management will drag it out if they feel they can break you. If management sees you taking forever with heavy loads, you'll experience the talks, the rides, the threats and attempts on you're job. "If" you can keep everything straight, they will usually take the work off you eventually. Key word, eventually. That will take months. We have to do our best at getting into a mindset necessary for this. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's the way it is. Every time I walked into the building, I felt like I was going to war. No exaggeration. I was in the office virtually every morning. That's life at UPS, and it isn't getting any better. Continue to file on 9.5, for documentation. Documentation is sooooo important. Talk is meaningless. If you can't prove it was said, than it wasn't said!!!!

twoweeled

Morale is so low right now. Somber feeling throughout the building. Worst part is, management is acting like this never happened. Why would they want to change their awful practices that screw so many of us over? Not even this horrible event that costed some of our brothers the ultimate price will change the culture. It's gross and they should be ashamed.
Rest assured. Management was told "exactly" how to handle this. I'm sure they were told to act like nothing happened. Anyone surprised?

twoweeled

My thoughts and prayers to all affected by this tragic event.

Now down to brass tacks...I see very clearly what happened. Lapdog "safety committee" member is slugging his way thru the day as per usual. Mega frustrated driver with issues is sick of working til 6,7,8 o'clock every night. Probably runs and guns just to have some quality personal time. Maybe his children had an event. Maybe he had a date. But no, little green light pops up and now he's gotta take 20 or so stops off someone he already probably doesn't care for.

He punches out finally, furious. Maybe what little is left of his evening goes down the toilet. He can't sleep, can't afford to call in, can't get a better job but can no longer tolerate this every day. His mind is made up to punish those in particular he thinks are causing his constant stress and OT and maybe just everyone he can.

It could've been me. I have major depressive disorder and bipolar tendencies. I am not mentally fit for the job, though I actually performed well. I just can't tolerate going over 8-9 hours of this work, mentally. So what I did, and the shooter should have done, is go on FMLA go seek help, stay in a psych ward a few days. Get diagnosed, be honest about violent thoughts. Stay on st disability until they find you another spot. Stay on their a..es. Get under ADA. They have to accommodate you. They cannot make you stay a driver. They tried that game on me but nope...never again. Money is not everything. And violence is not the answer. Hope this post helps someone out.
Personally, I would not advise anyone to spend days in a psych ward and notify UPS about it in the hope of getting another position with the ADA backing you. I'm not saying I know that won't work, but you're opening up a door that you won't be able to close later. UPS doesn't always adhere to ADA laws. I KNOW IT'S THE LAW. I also know they will sometimes just ignore it. Speak to your Union Rep before you do that. I'm glad it worked for you, but it may not work for others. Careful with this one, people. Go off on disability for stress maybe, but I wouldn't say anything to UPS until you know for certain things will be good. That could turn into a very bad road. Just my opinion.

twoweeled

Heard my first smart-assed comment about the tragedy on Friday night, I was at a convenience store in my browns on my way home from work to grab a gallon of milk and some dipstick in line behind me said "wow I never knew UPS could also go postal." I turned around and glared at him for a moment and then wisely decided to be the bigger man and keep my mouth shut rather than dignifying his stupid comment with a response. Some other people in line shook their heads and glared at him also, while giving me sympathetic looks. Best to just let karma deal with people like that...
One thing I try to keep in mind. The average person cannot relate to what we put up with at UPS. They hear about the money, and combined with a bit of envy, you get A hole comments like that. They just don't get it. It's ignorance! Don't expect them to understand it. I didn't believe it, till I got here!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I think I received a check for close to $15,000. I know this is difficult for some to believe, but I'm not sure if I received more pleasure from the $15K, or knowing how angry UPS was having to pay it. But the company is making sure we take our breaks now! Isn't that nice of them?
that's very nice of them. they are a bunch of friggin angels.

twoweeled

I think monkey would date Janet Jackson or Beyoncé....does that still make him a racist??!?!??
Hell! I'd date Janet Jackson or Beyonce - and I'm as racist as that idiot Grand dragon dude with the sheet over his head!! You kidding me?

I hope everyone knows I'm joking? Not about dating Beyonce, but about the rest. I thought I better make this clear. damn, It killls my joke

bbsam

Staff member
I don't hate anyone I can think of.
I love messin' wid everybody though,
Except myself, I pitch a fit every time!
That's not true. I worked with a guy at UPS who got promoted to your neck of the woods and is familiar with you. He says you're "as hateful as as a sow wit a chewed up teet and pissin' moonshine."

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I think I received a check for close to $15,000. I know this is difficult for some to believe, but I'm not sure if I received more pleasure from the $15K, or knowing how angry UPS was having to pay it. But the company is making sure we take our breaks now! Isn't that nice of them?
When was this? I never got a check

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Personally, I would not advise anyone to spend days in a psych ward and notify UPS about it in the hope of getting another position with the ADA backing you. I'm not saying I know that won't work, but you're opening up a door that you won't be able to close later. UPS doesn't always adhere to ADA laws. I KNOW IT'S THE LAW. I also know they will sometimes just ignore it. Speak to your Union Rep before you do that. I'm glad it worked for you, but it may not work for others. Careful with this one, people. Go off on disability for stress maybe, but I wouldn't say anything to UPS until you know for certain things will be good. That could turn into a very bad road. Just my opinion.
How many sups over the last few years have gone out on stress leave???? They need to get checked on this next contract....we are at a wall with them and the union and us individual members need to start pushing back to that middle line...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's not true. I worked with a guy at UPS who got promoted to your neck of the woods and is familiar with you. He says you're "as hateful as as a sow wit a chewed up teet and pissin' moonshine."
I know that's not true.
UPSers at work only saw my good side.
Nice words there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hell! I'd date Janet Jackson or Beyonce - and I'm as racist as that idiot Grand dragon dude with the sheet over his head!! You kidding me?

I hope everyone knows I'm joking? Not about dating Beyonce, but about the rest. I thought I better make this clear. damn, It killls my joke
Good idea ... some don't pick up on sarcasm very well.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I know that's not true.
UPSers at work only saw my good side.
Nice words there.
They just all thought you were the "special" guy that got moved so everyone could keep an eye on you... then they saw the kind of work you did and the endless hours of babbling and spinning in your $600 "executive " chair and in time you did become that "special" guy...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Oregon is full of cuckservatives ... whatcha expect?
":censored2:" is the trendy new flavor-of-the-month pejorative for the alt.right and white -supremacist-wannabe crowd. I sure hope your use of the term has more to do with what you are smoking than with your actual political philosophy or racial views.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
":censored2:" is the trendy new flavor-of-the-month pejorative for the alt.right and white -supremacist-wannabe crowd. I sure hope your use of the term has more to do with what you are smoking than with your actual political philosophy or racial views.
I think monkey drives a jacked up truck with a couple American flags flying out the back and a "come and take it" sticker on the back...right next to the make America great again sticker right next to the trump pence sticker