UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

backitup

They can't hold you to it, but they will tell you. Similar to when you get into an accident and you're told never to admit guilt and don't say anything. Not exactly the same, but they really can't hold you to it. Wise advice and all, but they can't hold you to it. but they'll tell you. I'm guessing; if management were to see a driver on television about some specific people, specific incidences and what specifically was said and done, (true or not) you'll be in the office when you get back. Can't do anything, , , but you'll be in the office. That's just my opinion, my guess. I could be wrong.
I agree. The first amendment applies to everyone....even UPS employees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
most of the time people dont know who is coming or going. They could have fired someone two weeks ago and they still could walk right into my building
Not at Corporate ... the day I retired, my badge was disabled.
When I came back in a couple of weeks for my retirement party, a manager had to come and sign me in.

twoweeled

350 drivers or so. 7 centers. Pretty big hub. It's the one building serving the whole city
Yep! That's a good sized one. Probably don't know everyone, but the old timers probably see almost everyone when walking in, at the gas pumps and walking out. I'm really surprised the name hasn't found it's way out yet. I'm sure someone knows the name, or some of the names. I can understand someone not wanting to release names. But the people who know the story, should release the story. someway, somehow. The real story will lose it's punch/validity over a short period of time. People on the outside automatically view the shooter is a lunatic. I don't. I think many of us don't at this point. Not saying it's right, just saying; I understand.
A bit of the story getting out is important. People need to get a bit of insight to the inner workings at UPS. I hope no one close to you was involved.

Faceplanted

Yeah the company clearly left him with no choice but to murder. Give me a break
Are you gonna honest sit here and say the culture, specifically in the past 5 or so years could possible push somebody over the edge?

Im not saying it's an excuse, but some people are strong and can handle it, some people can't. Sad thing is people don't know who are the ones who can't handle it until it's too late.

Treat others as you want to be treated is how I try to live my life.

walk it off

I'm no fan of UPS management but NO ONE should be killed for going to work. This is a scumbag no account coward who had no reason to go in and kill. Any defense of this guy is reprehensible. I have worked out of this and 2 other building out of local 278. My continued prayers for the families of the victims.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
There are UPSers that aren't going home to their families tonight and my prayers are for all of them. I hope they find peace in the days to come. But, I would be a damn liar if I said this is any kind of surprise. The last 10 years UPS has developed a culture of high pressure and a "win at all cost" mentality. Everyday is a win or fail and God have mercy on those who don't win. I've seen so much dishonesty and fraud from management and their production standards that I cannot say I couldn't imagine anyone snapping and going full psychotic, like today. All I hope for is that every UPSer, who learns of today's horror, takes a minute to ask themself how they contribute to the culture of pressure and punishment at UPS. All we have are each other. Once again, may God bring peace to all involved.

Johney

Not at Corporate ... the day I retired, my badge was disabled.
When I came back in a couple of weeks for my retirement party, a manager had to come and sign me in.
Likely just took yours, everyone else that retires gets to keep theirs and come and go as they please.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
As messed up as it sounds it doesn't surprise me and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often...constantly take a crap on your employees and this is bound to happen...I know a few drivers in that building and haven't been able to get in contact with them yet...RIP to everyone

Pretty much this. When I saw what time it happened I thought it might have been a preloader. They get ripped apart at my hub, (called retarded, abused, picked on, etc). RIP

opey

I'm really surprised the name hasn't found it's way out yet. I'm sure someone knows the name, or some of the names. I can understand someone not wanting to release names. But the people who know the story, should release the story. someway, somehow.
the name of the shooter is out, Jimmy Lam. He was in uniform and supposedly had a history of mental illness. Also they are saying it happened at the time of the PCM

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There are UPSers that aren't going home to their families tonight and my prayers are for all of them. I hope they find peace in the days to come. But, I would be a damn liar if I said this is any kind of surprise. The last 10 years UPS has developed a culture of high pressure and a "win at all cost" mentality. Everyday is a win or fail and God have mercy on those who don't win. I've seen so much dishonesty and fraud from management and their production standards that I cannot say I couldn't imagine anyone snapping and going full psychotic, like today. All I hope for is that every UPSer, who learns of today's horror, takes a minute to ask themself how they contribute to the culture of pressure and punishment at UPS. All we have are each other. Once again, may God bring peace to all involved.
Very well said...sad but true...personally I think this is going to continue to happen... wait and see. Ups needs to rethink their approach with people and I would like to see these incidents brought up at the next negotiations because it is a very real correlation between their production at all costs attitude and employees who are so mentally drained that they could possibly go off the deep end.....we all deserve to work in a safe, harassment free workplace...