UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

Coldworld

60 months and counting
the name of the shooter is out, Jimmy Lam. He was in uniform and supposedly had a history of mental illness. Also they are saying it happened at the time of the PCM
Is the history of mental illness something ups is going to spin to give this needless tragedy a "reason" for happening....take management and company liability out of the equation....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Very well said...sad but true...personally I think this is going to continue to happen... wait and see. Ups needs to rethink their approach with people and I would like to see these incidents brought up at the next negotiations because it is a very real correlation between their production at all costs attitude and employees who are so mentally drained that they could possibly go off the deep end.....we all deserve to work in a safe, harassment free workplace...
UPS is happy - reduced wages.
IBT is happy because no pensions to pay out.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Are you gonna honest sit here and say the culture, specifically in the past 5 or so years could possible push somebody over the edge?

Im not saying it's an excuse, but some people are strong and can handle it, some people can't. Sad thing is people don't know who are the ones who can't handle it until it's too late.

Treat others as you want to be treated is how I try to live my life.
I'm a huge critic of the culture around this place, I think I've made that pretty clear in the past. But someone who would snap and straight up murder someone over this job has issues beyond just their career. I think saying "Yeah but.." is nothing but an attempt to justify his actions to some degree.

I live my life the same way. But we have a lot of employees. There are great managers, and there are terrible managers. There are great hourlies, and there are terrible hourlies. It's just the nature of anything in life.

Gotout

Are you gonna honest sit here and say the culture, specifically in the past 5 or so years could possible push somebody over the edge?

Im not saying it's an excuse, but some people are strong and can handle it, some people can't. Sad thing is people don't know who are the ones who can't handle it until it's too late.

Treat others as you want to be treated is how I try to live my life.
I'm surprised that I'm this far into the thread and no one has mentioned that the exact same thing happened a few years ago in Birmingham, AL. I'm sad to see that it has happened again, but not terrible surprised.

When you push people to the breaking point, some of them break.

I was a center manager for several years, towing the company line. There were times when I actually thought "I hope this guy doesn't come back in here and...". And I considered myself one of the decent ones.

Edit: words

moldsporh

Very sorry to hear what happened....thoughts and prayers to all involved and affected.

When you take the higher than average workload, then add 30 to 50% more, then lower the time standards, then tell drivers THEY are the ones not performing and threatening their jobs, roof over heads, food on table.........how long until someone thats on the edge finally snaps?

brownelf

I wonder how long it'll be before they contact the family to control the news?
I wonder how they will try to control the family's comments? Payoffs or threats?
I think we can agree there is a story behind this. There is probably a bit of a paper trail somewhere also? Maybe not if he was young. UPS is the best at controlling news.
Not a word of the shootings in national or local news in this area so far. thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why are you defending this guy like a victim? He is a coward.
Not defending the guy.... stop trying to make the company out like they are angels... any long term employee here could tell stories of just how low and pathetic a corporation can treat its employees, both hourly AND management....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm a huge critic of the culture around this place, I think I've made that pretty clear in the past. But someone who would snap and straight up murder someone over this job has issues beyond just their career. I think saying "Yeah but.." is nothing but an attempt to justify his actions to some degree.

I live my life the same way. But we have a lot of employees. There are great managers, and there are terrible managers. There are great hourlies, and there are terrible hourlies. It's just the nature of anything in life.
How many more have to die until ups starts thinking to themselves..." could some of our outdated policies and such be causing more harm than good.....

UPS1907

I wonder how long it'll be before they contact the family to control the news?
I wonder how they will try to control the family's comments? Payoffs or threats?
I think we can agree there is a story behind this. There is probably a bit of a paper trail somewhere also? Maybe not if he was young. UPS is the best at controlling news.
UPS is the best at spinning / downplaying tragedy, but today, UPS actually caught a break. The news is being dominated by the shooting of a Republican at a baseball field for an upcoming game. The media is swarming to this.

No one even died like the tragedy in SF, but politics comes first.

UPS will have no problem burying this tragedy with today's other news.