UPS should replace the entire fleet with non union workers.

UPS Lifer

I could never figure out why a Part timer gets the same vote as a full-timer? Shouldn't they get half a vote. (I realize this is not going to sit well at all with part-timers) but for anyone who is a full timer, this is your career and having a part timer able to cancel you out just does not seem right.

I can remember asking part timers why they were voting no on a contract and they told me (almost all) that they needed time off and this would give them at least a couple of weeks of summer vacation!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I could never figure out why a Part timer gets the same vote as a full-timer? Shouldn't they get half a vote. (I realize this is not going to sit well at all with part-timers) but for anyone who is a full timer, this is your career and having a part timer able to cancel you out just does not seem right.

I can remember asking part timers why they were voting no on a contract and they told me (almost all) that they needed time off and this would give them at least a couple of weeks of summer vacation!

The reason why, is because this isnt federal government. The number doesnt apply to whom has as many in population. Its a vote based on person to person. It adds up to be a one, each person. We should be able to vote no matter the cause or reason.

As for a reason they vote no, PT, because it doesnt apply to them in most cases.

ORLY?, here's your chance...

Embrace the Union and educate your fellow PT'rs...

Make it happen!

As for the top part of the reply. Try and educate your fellow PT workers. Well, its should be self taught. The program to retirement is a joke. You really believe some :censored2: is gonna spend 30 years here on PT to get that money? Paying money now for something out of the question later is a down right lie. The answer to the question is to pay PT better now and not many years later, if it ever happens that is. They can pay us 15k-17k now, yet pay a driver 70k now with all the bells and whistles.

Those who are dumb about me paying dues for nothing in return. I really cant understand the fatass supporting you in all things, yet the the PT person that dies, lives by your words. Its a joke, the union is a joke. Wise up, would yea.

HubBub

I can't figure out why Teamsters who believe they are superior to fellow Teamsters in the same bargaining unit get a vote at all, as they make a mockery of unity and don't understand or care about the process of collective bargaining.

J

jibbs

I can't figure out why Teamsters who believe they are superior to fellow Teamsters in the same bargaining unit get a vote at all, as they make a mockery of unity and don't understand or care about the process of collective bargaining.

Much agreed. All the attitude you address causes amongst the union is a clearly defined line of division. If I were to hear one of my driver's wonder aloud why I received the same ballot in the mail as he, I would most definitely take offense and it would turn into a me versus them situation. One where I might end up losing my job, but I'd be able to make a particular person's career absolute hell for the time I'm able.

No camaraderie equates to no compassion, on all fronts. At 3am, it's difficult to be sympathetic towards the workload you're creating for 3-4 fulltime Teamsters. At 3am loading for people who publicly insinuate that I am not as important as them? ****, in that situation it becomes downright easy to intentionally make their day... err.... "sub-par."

Johney

Much agreed. All the attitude you address causes amongst the union is a clearly defined line of division. If I were to hear one of my driver's wonder aloud why I received the same ballot in the mail as he, I would most definitely take offense and it would turn into a me versus them situation. One where I might end up losing my job, but I'd be able to make a particular person's career absolute hell for the time I'm able.

No camaraderie equates to no compassion, on all fronts. At 3am, it's difficult to be sympathetic towards the workload you're creating for 3-4 fulltime Teamsters. At 3am loading for people who publicly insinuate that I am not as important as them? ****, in that situation it becomes downright easy to intentionally make their day... err.... "sub-par."
Remember not only can you screw a drivers day but a good driver can also ruin your day. What can you do to ruin a drivers day? Load truck out of sequence? Don't you realize there will be record of that? Misloads? Again record of that. I understand the issue you might have with a full-timer not saying your equal, but to deliberately not do your job is wrong and in the end YOU will lose. Just think that if you screw up my day I can also make you look like an idiot by tossing in a misload or two from the guy next to me. I can toss a 2000 section into the 8000 and drive 10 miles back to make service. Trust me if you want to play a game we will be more than happy to accommodate you. Again YOU will lose. Is this right? Of course not, but don't think it can't or won't happen. If you want to lose your job over just what someone says....I just don't know what to say about that.

J

jibbs

Remember not only can you screw a drivers day but a good driver can also ruin your day. What can you do to ruin a drivers day? Load truck out of sequence? Don't you realize there will be record of that? Misloads? Again record of that. I understand the issue you might have with a full-timer not saying your equal, but to deliberately not do your job is wrong and in the end YOU will lose. Just think that if you screw up my day I can also make you look like an idiot by tossing in a misload or two from the guy next to me. I can toss a 2000 section into the 8000 and drive 10 miles back to make service. Trust me if you want to play a game we will be more than happy to accommodate you. Again YOU will lose. Is this right? Of course not, but don't think it can't or won't happen. If you want to lose your job over just what someone says....I just don't know what to say about that.

I never said that I would win, just that I would play the game. Sometimes playing in itself is a victory, even if you don't achieve the desired result. I also never said that I wish for anything to play out as described in my previous post in any way, shape, or form. I merely gave a hypothetical based upon another hypothetical, and you're assuming that I've taken a position. The response was conditional, the conditions hypothetical, and the scenario as a whole possible and plausible.

Nowhere in the post did I say this was currently happening or currently being conspired upon, however. I'm sorry for the confusion.

The situation is obvious. FTers have a career, PTers a job. From your post alone I can infer that you hold yourself on a pedestal much higher than your loader, and that's your right. It may not be equitable, it may not be moral, and it may be extremely self-centered of a person in your position to do so, but the inference is there and deserves to be even if I think it wrong. I'm just happy that I've read your contributions in the past and feel that the inference described holds absolutely no truth to it whatsoever and is a miscommunication and/or a misunderstanding.

[EDIT in reply to the last sentence of your post, Johney:

The job in itself isn't very rewarding. It's the benefits that I'm still waiting to be eligible for and the opportunity to do what YOU do, Johney, that keeps me with UPS. $145 a week, not including union dues? If I get pushed to the right point I can clear more than that with a quarter mile car ride and 10 minutes of my time. The pros and cons in that scenario have made themselves crystal clear, however, and I've decided to turn away from the cliff before I take that one step you can never backtrack from.

Point being, don't think for one second that job security is what keeps package handlers loading trucks. It's the carrot dangled in front of us (which a lot of FTers insist is a stick in disguise) that keeps us coming in day in, day out (and hell, some of us don't even clock in on consecutive days).

....I used too many parentheses in that last sentence. Eh.... fuggit.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Johney

I never said that I would win, just that I would play the game. Sometimes playing in itself is a victory, even if you don't achieve the desired result. I also never said that I desired it in any way, shape, or form. I merely gave a hypothetical based upon another hypothetical, and you're assuming that I've taken a position. The response was conditional, the conditions hypothetical, and the scenario as a whole possible and plausible.

Nowhere in the post did I say this was currently happening or currently being conspired upon, however. I'm sorry for the confusion.
No problem friend. I get where you're coming from and myself would never say to a p/timer that he/she was not equal to myself. Just wanted to point out the possible flaws in your scenario.:wink2:

Johney

I never said that I would win, just that I would play the game. Sometimes playing in itself is a victory, even if you don't achieve the desired result. I also never said that I wish for anything to play out as described in my previous post in any way, shape, or form. I merely gave a hypothetical based upon another hypothetical, and you're assuming that I've taken a position. The response was conditional, the conditions hypothetical, and the scenario as a whole possible and plausible.

The situation is obvious. FTers have a career, PTers a job. From your post alone I can infer that you hold yourself on a pedestal much higher than your loader, and that's your right. It may not be equitable, it may not be moral, and it may be extremely self-centered of a person in your position to do so, but the inference is there and deserves to be even if I think it wrong. I'm just happy that I've read your contributions in the past and feel that the inference described holds absolutely no truth to it whatsoever and is a miscommunication and/or a misunderstanding.

[EDIT in reply to the last sentence of your post, Johney:

The job in itself isn't very rewarding. It's the benefits that I'm still waiting to be eligible for and the opportunity to do what YOU do, Johney, that keeps me with UPS. $145 a week, not including union dues? If I get pushed to the right point I can clear more than that with a quarter mile car ride and 10 minutes of my time. The pros and cons in that scenario have made themselves crystal clear, however, and I've decided to turn away from the cliff before I take that one step you can never backtrack from.

Point being, don't think for one second that job security is what keeps package handlers loading trucks. It's the carrot dangled in front of us (which a lot of FTers insist is a stick in disguise) that keeps us coming in day in, day out (and hell, some of us don't even clock in on consecutive days).

....I used too many parentheses in that last sentence. Eh.... fuggit.]
No I do not hold myself at a higher standard than my loader, if that's what you read into it my bad. As a matter of fact I rarely have the same loader more than 3 days in a row. I just stated that if my loader did what you said you MIGHT/MAYBE or whatever do I would by all means give them a run for their money. But like I said I wouldn't tell my loader or any other p/timer I'm better than they are. So I hope I'm not put in the situation we both spoke of.

J

jibbs

No I do not hold myself at a higher standard than my loader, if that's what you read into it my bad. As a matter of fact I rarely have the same loader more than 3 days in a row. I just stated that if my loader did what you said you MIGHT/MAYBE or whatever do I would by all means give them a run for their money. But like I said I wouldn't tell my loader or any other p/timer I'm better than they are. So I hope I'm not put in the situation we both spoke of.

Absolutely right, I just meant that a false position could be construed from your post. I probably should've preceded instead of following that thought with the firm belief that it's incorrect, though... I feel like that may've easily been lost in translation after thinking there was an accusation present. I'd like to point out that while an inference is based on evidence and reasoning, it's extremely easy for a person to allow evidence to point them in the direction of an untruth when personal perspective comes into play. I actually looked up the word's full meaning in an effort to be as inoffensive as possible before posting, lol...

I just had a lot to say and it was difficult keeping it organized and concise.

Johney

It's all good jibbs. We are all under a lot of pressure lately. Most likely a year from now it will all be water under the btidge.

J

jibbs

I'm hopin' it'll be miles and miles of asphalt in my rearview, but yeah, I hear you. I actually like it more when people kind of force me try and get my thoughts across more clearly. Makes me run through everything over and over, rethinking and reforming opinions as I write or type it out.

Ahhh, the writing process. It's good smile*, man.

PT Car Washer

I could never figure out why a Part Timer pays the same Union dues as a full timer? Shouldn't they pay half as much.( I realize this is not going to sit well at all with full timers)

UPS Lifer

I could never figure out why a Part Timer pays the same Union dues as a full timer? Shouldn't they pay half as much.( I realize this is not going to sit well at all with full timers)

Excellent Point!

Not sure any driver should really care about that but a union official certainly would.

UPS Lifer

One time a driver through his preloader under the bus and the next day the preloader loaded the car stop for stop..... The only difference was that it was completely loaded backwards!

Last stop was 1st and 1st stop was last. Now that is talent! - This preloader worked for me and went on to become a great driver.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
One time a driver through his preloader under the bus and the next day the preloader loaded the car stop for stop..... The only difference was that it was completely loaded backwards!

Last stop was 1st and 1st stop was last. Now that is talent! - This preloader worked for me and went on to become a great driver.

The last time my truck was loaded backwards was when Pas/Edd was implemented.