UPS should replace the entire fleet with non union workers.

UPS_Broken_Dreams

My whole point is that while I acknowledge you've made sacrifices in your career, the current generation of PTers have it much harder

I think the position of ptimers is the same. The work is the same. The abuse by some management is the same. The wait for advancement is the same. It's the $8.50 wage in today's world that makes it harder.

You (Keyword) "think" its the same but in reality your delusional. Did you have major shippers like Amazon, eBay, Ioffer ect.. back in your day? Did you even have internet? workload has skyrocketed, packages on the floor, belts being stopped several times Bc of volume, jams everywhere.. safety is a serious issue at least in my hub. How many businesses from home do you deliver to? Welcome to the new world, everyone's shipping nowadays, only a blind fool would think otherwise. I can't compare wait time Bc from what I hear its different in ever hub but I do know that all the drivers I've spoken too, never had to wait past 4 years. I don't plan on this job being my future. I'm doing this for the benefits, I just hate seeing good people taken advantage of while Ftmers laugh it off saying "oh its not that bad". Wake up, it is!

You (Keyword) "think" its the same but in reality your delusional. Did you have major shippers like Amazon, eBay, Ioffer ect.. back in your day? Did you even have internet? workload has skyrocketed, packages on the floor, belts being stopped several times Bc of volume, jams everywhere.. safety is a serious issue at least in my hub. How many businesses from home do you deliver to? Welcome to the new world, everyone's shipping nowadays, only a blind fool would think otherwise. I can't compare wait time Bc from what I hear its different in ever hub but I do know that all the drivers I've spoken too, never had to wait past 4 years. I don't plan on this job being my future. I'm doing this for the benefits, I just hate seeing good people taken advantage of while Ftmers laugh it off saying "oh its not that bad". Wake up, it is!

What? You think you're the first part timer to ever touch a box? While the companies you mention may not have been shipping in 86 when I started there were plenty of ones that were. Try being the person unloading the NordicTrak trailer. Trailers full of ream paper boxes from office supply shippers. Auto parts from when we shipped for all the big manufacturers. Cases of chemicals, extremely nasty when exposed to bare skin I can attest first hand, from Kodak.

Everything that happens now happened before. Except maybe we had the backbone to tough it out for the long haul.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Preloaders @ my hub are always bitching about how UPS has cut hours, UPS this & that. If i were management, i'd replace the entire fleet with people who will work hard without whining about 20 minute being cut per week.

I hope they replace you soon.

Johney

Nothing personal but your family issues are irrelevant to the topic at hand. I'm pre-load sort isle and the mistakes are in numerical order, I'd be correcting them with a smile for what you make. No doubt misloads are a bitch but guess what? Nothing in this worlds perfect, suck it up for the amount of money your compensated. I'm sure quality of work would improve if our hourly wages were raised. What do you expect for 8.50 hr? The union doesn't protect Ptmers, UPS ****s all over us and your complaining about misloads. You get what you pay for. If UPS expects to take advantage of the part time work force at least increase the wages, hell freeze the raises! Bc this new generation doesn't give a **** about your miniscule raises that only amount to something after decades of hard labor! /rant over
Whoa! Hold on there cowboy.Family issues are irrelevant? When the preload screws up my job making me work later, that is a problem. It's not a perfect world suck up misloads for the money we make? Didn't you and anyone else who applied for the preload get an explanation as to what your duties would be? Put the right stuff in the right truck? Isn't that what you get paid too do? Doesn't matter what you get paid YOU filled out the application, you knew what was expected of you, now you cry it's not enough money? There's the door :censored2: no one is keeping you here.

J

jibbs

workload has skyrocketed, packages on the floor, belts being stopped several times Bc of volume, jams everywhere..

Funny story-- well, a story, at least-- today my belt stopped itself! Sort aisle put way too much paper and tires on during one particularly nasty run... I've never seen too much weight shut a belt down before! I thought I had broken the damn thing, not gonna lie. I saw it slow down... slow down... jerk... and then I heard a huge slam before it came to a complete stop. Unload supe came running over fast (which was comical as he's a fairly large guy) screaming "Shut off the belt! Shut off the belt!!!" I just smacked the button and was relieved when a few guys from sort aisle were made to clear our belt. I've never seen so much paper and so many tires before, I definitely didn't want to have to fix that situation myself.

And now that I "think" about it, every one of those terrible boxes you're burdened to touch will later have to be humped up a flight of stairs by that fulltime driver you have so much contempt for.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

​See if you understand this: waaahhhhh!

J

jibbs

And now that I "think" about it, every one of those terrible boxes you're burdened to touch will later have to be humped up a flight of stairs by that fulltime driver you have so much contempt for.

Contempt? I like to think of it as envy growing into jealousy.

I mean, ****, I'd love to be making what you FTers do-- the workload, in my opinion, would be irrelevant. I think a lot of PTers feel the same as the first part of that last sentence, but they don't always contemplate the second half and... well... it leads where all issues that treat two similar groups differently eventually end up: division and resentment.

I can't comment on whether UPS has changed for PTers in recent years. I'm still a young buck around here, I don't have the slightest clue how things've gone in the past. All I can do is comment on what I observe in the present and what I hope for the future.

UPS Lifer

When I saw the title of this thread, I said OH Boy! This is going to be gooooood! The trolls are out.

I can't really comment on this new proposed contract but I do know that the longer any contract dispute goes, both sides suffer and the competition wins. I also know that is not what this is about.

I was a part timer, a full timer and an all-the-timer! UPS has some of the best people in the world working for them and it is in large part because of the union. Let's not forget that most management comes from the union ranks. I personally believe that contracts are good for the employee and the company and they should be followed. The spirit of the contract should be honored. When a manager honors the contract, moral is usually higher in that operation. Both sides need to be fair-minded, balanced and respectful.

What bothers me are those folks (on both sides) who decide to come to battle each other daily and denigrate and show disrespect for the folks on the opposite side. Eventually they all get what they deserve.

I have always been proud that UPS has been a successful union oriented company that can make money and create jobs that turn into careers with a substantive retirement.

didyousheetit

Nothing personal but your family issues are irrelevant to the topic at hand. I'm pre-load sort isle and the mistakes are in numerical order, I'd be correcting them with a smile for what you make. No doubt misloads are a bitch but guess what? Nothing in this worlds perfect, suck it up for the amount of money your compensated. I'm sure quality of work would improve if our hourly wages were raised. What do you expect for 8.50 hr? The union doesn't protect Ptmers, UPS ****s all over us and your complaining about misloads. You get what you pay for. If UPS expects to take advantage of the part time work force at least increase the wages, hell freeze the raises! Bc this new generation doesn't give a **** about your miniscule raises that only amount to something after decades of hard labor! /rant over
I doubt your only making 8.50. My loader is making close to 20.00 as is most of the preloaders who are also combo jobs. we have about 5 who are making 31.75. but yet the quality of work you speak of isn't there.

didyousheetit

What? You think you're the first part timer to ever touch a box? While the companies you mention may not have been shipping in 86 when I started there were plenty of ones that were. Try being the person unloading the NordicTrak trailer. Trailers full of ream paper boxes from office supply shippers. Auto parts from when we shipped for all the big manufacturers. Cases of chemicals, extremely nasty when exposed to bare skin I can attest first hand, from Kodak.

Everything that happens now happened before. Except maybe we had the backbone to tough it out for the long haul.
don't forget the gateway and dell computer shipments!

The Milkman

Whoa! Hold on there cowboy.Family issues are irrelevant? When the preload screws up my job making me work later, that is a problem. It's not a perfect world suck up misloads for the money we make? Didn't you and anyone else who applied for the preload get an explanation as to what your duties would be? Put the right stuff in the right truck? Isn't that what you get paid too do? Doesn't matter what you get paid YOU filled out the application, you knew what was expected of you, now you cry it's not enough money:goodpost:? There's the door :censored2: no one is keeping you here.

:youreright:

pretender

It bugs the **** out of me that they bitch about friend/ters screwin' them. They could run the union if they wanted and get whatever wage they demanded. The only thing screwin' them are other P/ters who don't go to union meetings and don't vote.

Well, I feel better now! I have been feeling guilty for selling out the PTers:

As I see it, the current retirees sold out the PTers long ago, so retiree benefits are the least of my concern.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/tentative-agreement-349735/index19.html#ixzz2URcLctaB

Re-Raise

It 's pretty much the same, we had crybabies like you then too.

UPS Preloader

It bugs the **** out of me that they bitch about friend/ters screwin' them. They could run the union if they wanted and get whatever wage they demanded. The only thing screwin' them are other P/ters who don't go to union meetings and don't vote.

I don't bitch about the FT's screwing the PT's, but I do wish they would support them. It's not fair to the PT's that do go to union meetings and do vote.

UPS Preloader

Well, I feel better now! I have been feeling guilty for selling out the PTers:

As I see it, the current retirees sold out the PTers long ago, so retiree benefits are the least of my concern.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/tentative-agreement-349735/index19.html#ixzz2URcLctaB

To openly admit that you've been selling out the PT's make you a piece of ***** in my opinion. With UPS increasingly hiring PT's over FT's, it's only a matter of time before the PT's take over the contract.

UPSGUY72

Preloaders @ my hub are always bitching about how UPS has cut hours, UPS this & that. If i were management, i'd replace the entire fleet with people who will work hard without whining about 20 minute being cut per week.

What does being in the union have to do with people bitching about having there hours cut. Are you say that people not in the union wouldn't care if they had there hrs cut ????

The union is what brought you a 5 day work week, the weekend, good pay, and benefits, etc. Go work at Fed Ex if you don't like working in the union and see what they give you....