UPS Teamster Locals, Leaders Meet at Unity Conference to Discuss 2018 Contract

Faceplanted

You got a $8.90 per hour Raise. If your "cost of living" theory was accurate, I'd be living worse than I did in the 90's. I assure you, I'm living way better. Percentages don't mean D. It's about per hour. A 100% increase for a fast food employee would still be $17 an hour less than a driver. If you want to see if you lost, calculate your "entire" package between the years. But keep trying and spinning stuff!
Look up the rate of inflation the past few years. Simple economics

Raises are very relevant to inflation as this shows actual spending power.

The whole economy is based on percentages... 401k performance, inflation, home prices, profit increase. To say percentages don't matter is one of the most ignorant things I ever heard.

You have more spending power because you have years or making upper middle class money, have debts paid, and a cushion. That doesn't mean 34 an hour now has the same power as 22 A few contracts ago, especially when minimum wage almost doubled in some states during the exact same time frame

I want to talk actual numbers and percentages not your opinion about how your life is. That's all opinion based while numbers are there for everybody to see

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Look up the rate of inflation the past few years. Simple economics

Raises are very relevant to inflation as this shows actual spending power.

The whole economy is based on percentages... 401k performance, inflation, home prices, profit increase. To say percentages don't matter is one of the most ignorant things I ever heard.

You have more spending power because you have years or making upper middle class money, have debts paid, and a cushion. That doesn't mean 34 an hour now has the same power as 22 A few contracts ago, especially when minimum wage almost doubled in some states during the exact same time frame

I want to talk actual numbers and percentages not your opinion about how your life is. That's all opinion based while numbers are there for everybody to see
It's all about how my life is. Sorry you don't have a good life. Based upon your calculations, what should the hourly wage be right now?

Faceplanted

It's all about how my life is. Sorry you don't have a good life. Based upon your calculations, what should the hourly wage be right now?
It doesn't matter what I think it should be, I'm simply pointing out you are wrong about raises and every contract percentage wise they have gotten worse, not better

wide load

It doesn't matter what I think it should be, I'm simply pointing out you are wrong about raises and every contract percentage wise they have gotten worse, not better
I know it's not about what you think. Your theory is based on mathematics. So what should we be making today? What's a 1% raise for a guy that makes $50 per hour?

rod

Retired 22 years
It's called a cost of living raise. Inflation is around 2-3% a year. In many states, minimum wage went up at a HIGHeR percentage rate in the same period of time compared to the percentage of our raises. So we actually have lost! But keep trying and spinning stuff!!!

If we go back to older contracts, percentage wise this last contract was the WORST we got concerning pay raises.

FACT

Please address this fact about our percentages. Can we agree that this past contract was the worst yet concerning raises? Let's not bring anything else into it, Just pay raises. I don't want to hear the typical excuses of Heath care blah blah blah

The cost of living has not gone up according to our fearless leaders in Washington for the last 3 years of Obama. This year I did get a 6 dollar increase in my SS check BUT Medicare went up $7. Funny how that works. You aren't getting "cost of living raises"--you are getting raises negotiated by the Union.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The cost of living has not gone up according to our fearless leaders in Washington for the last 3 years of Obama. This year I did get a 6 dollar increase in my SS check BUT Medicare went up $7. Funny how that works. You aren't getting "cost of living raises"--you are getting raises negotiated by the Union.
To be fair I doubt it went up much with bush 1, Clinton, or bush 2....Washington doesn't care about schmucks like you and I....they want our vote only and then we get swept under the rug....you think trump cares about the republican gun loving voter...you know the ones that got him in office.... ummm no!

wide load

Btw, I did the calculations for you based on 2 and 3%. At a starting wage of $22 in 1998 to 2018, based upon your math, our wages should be between $32.69 and $39.73. I'll be at $37 in 2018. Sooooo... there's that. Good talk. Bye.

Faceplanted

Btw, I did the calculations for you based on 2 and 3%. At a starting wage of $22 in 1998 to 2018, based upon your math, our wages should be between $32.69 and $39.73. I'll be at $37 in 2018. Sooooo... there's that. Good talk. Bye.
We were getting 4-6% raises prior to that. I remember around 2000 when drivers were at 23 an hour we were getting 1 dollar per year!!!!! Now we make 35 an hour and get 75ish cents per year. That a huge discrepancy!!

The reason your percentages match up is thanks to the contracts in the late 90s, early 00s not thanks to the last 2. If we keep these .75 cent raises going the next 2 contracts we won't even match inflation, but you guys will keep with the "we get paid good".

We as industry leaders should set the standard.... now FedEx express gets higher % raises.... yes non union fedex gets better raises then us.

Ups makes more profit now than ever yet we get half the raises we used to get!!!

I don't know why it's so hard for you to admit our raises are a fraction of what they were and they get worse every contract. Just admit it!!!!

Thanks bye!

Last edited:

wide load

We were getting 4-6% raises prior to that. I remember around 2000 when drivers were at 23 an hour we were getting 1 dollar per year!!!!! Now we make 35 an hour and get 75ish cents per year. That a huge discrepancy!!

The reason your percentages match up is thanks to the contracts in the late 90s, early 00s not thanks to the last 2. If we keep these .75 cent raises going the next 2 contracts we won't even match inflation, but you guys will keep with the "we get paid good".

We as industry leaders should set the standard.... now FedEx express gets higher % raises.... yes non union fedex gets better raises then us.

Ups makes more profit now than ever yet we get half the raises we used to get!!!

I don't know why it's so hard for you to admit our raises are a fraction of what they were and they get worse every contract. Just admit it!!!!

Thanks bye!
Fractions? Don't you mean percentages? I just realized why your name is faceplanted.

wide load

So drivers in progression must be killing it since they get a 40% raise in the last year of progression? My preloader just got a 10% raise, which is awesome by your standard. Buddy, like I said 100% raise can still be many dollars below what we have. It comes down to the simplicity of this, it's about what my actual total compensation is. Mine is $47 an hour. Now compare that to your FedEx buddies.

Faceplanted

So drivers in progression must be killing it since they get a 40% raise in the last year of progression? My preloader just got a 10% raise, which is awesome by your standard. Buddy, like I said 100% raise can still be many dollars below what we have. It comes down to the simplicity of this, it's about what my actual total compensation is. Mine is $47 an hour. Now compare that to your FedEx buddies.
As I said I'm only talking raises. Just raises. That's what my issue is with the past 2 contracts

We gave up huge in the raise department, I can accept that easially as long as we gain else
where... where did we gain? NO WHERE.

Maybe I can't see, can you show me what we gained in exchange for us giving up the great raises we had?? I'll wait while you throw out the typical health care cost argument.

We have arguably worse health care, progression went up, and 9-5 language got WORSE for new drivers.

So in summary, we gave up about 2% per year in raises and gained NOTHING. Ups won, and will keep winning because the current leadership thinks we are idiots. I see through the bs. I hope the Boston bully can change the trend... I'm giving him a chance and my confidence. Time will tell.