UPS Bows to Teamster Pressure, Negotiations to Resume Next Week

Scuba_Steve

Well, at least they are going to start talking again.

As thousands of UPS Teamsters practice picket, rally, and mobilize around the country, UPS bowed today to the overwhelming show of Teamster unity and reached out to the union to resume negotiations. The Teamsters National Negotiating Committee and the company will set dates soon to resume negotiations next week.

HarryWarden

You would think there's been some phone calls, discussions, and this means there ready to finalize.
Hopefully. Also possible ups has seen the public support along with political support for the workers and figured it’s not a winning battle.

I don’t see why they have to wait until next week to start though

ManInBrown

You would think there's been some phone calls, discussions, and this means there ready to finalize.
It’s one of two things. They are feeling the pressure and want this settled or it’s all for show and they are going to present the same offer they left off with and then everyone will know the strike is on. I can’t see them just rolling over and giving him exactly what he’s asking for.

As far as back channel phone calls yeah, I really find it hard to believe there has been zero communication since July 5th. They’ve been talking, just not in a formal setting.

Arizax2

Hopefully. Also possible ups has seen the public support along with political support for the workers and figured it’s not a winning battle.

I don’t see why they have to wait until next week to start though
Agreed. To me both sides are willing to strike. Last thing we need is this to go to the last minute. If they stop talking after it restarts then its safe to say a strike will happen. Fingers cross this gets settled.

HarryWarden

It’s one of two things. They are feeling the pressure and want this settled or it’s all for show and they are going to present the same offer they left off with and then everyone will know the strike is on. I can’t see them just rolling over and giving him exactly what he’s asking for.

As far as back channel phone calls yeah, I really find it hard to believe there has been zero communication since July 5th. They’ve been talking, just not in a formal setting.
I can believe they haven’t been talking. I bet SOB made his minimum offer very clear to them and said if we don’t get this we’re striking. Ups said they had nothing left to give, and then they left and have been playing chicken since

UPS is already paying starting pay $26 part time in some hubs, maybe they were trying to gauge public support during the chicken match, saw the public was on the workers side, and realize it’s better to pay that wage to all workers and get it done with. I really hope so at least

R1wonder

I can believe they haven’t been talking. I bet SOB made his minimum offer very clear to them and said if we don’t get this we’re striking. Ups said they had nothing left to give, and then they left and have been playing chicken since

UPS is already paying starting pay $26 part time in some hubs, maybe they were trying to gauge public support during the chicken match, saw the public was on the workers side, and realize it’s better to pay that wage to all workers and get it done with. I really hope so at least
Key word “some” ups pays that in “some” hubs , they can also pay one shift “some” more than another , they can also pay “some” new ass hat the same amount as a guy with 10 years . Idk specifics of what Sean is asking but I know it’s contractual language , and also some sort of raise for the workers with some seniority.