UPS Teamster Locals, Leaders Meet at Unity Conference to Discuss 2018 Contract

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
As I said I'm only talking raises. Just raises. That's what my issue is with the past 2 contracts

We gave up huge in the raise department, I can accept that easially as long as we gain else
where... where did we gain? NO WHERE.

Maybe I can't see, can you show me what we gained in exchange for us giving up the great raises we had?? I'll wait while you throw out the typical health care cost argument.

We have arguably worse health care, progression went up, and 9-5 language got WORSE for new drivers.

So in summary, we gave up about 2% per year in raises and gained NOTHING. Ups won, and will keep winning because the current leadership thinks we are idiots. I see through the bs. I hope the Boston bully can change the trend... I'm giving him a chance and my confidence. Time will tell.
So you won't accept the $8.90 increase into Wages, H&W, so what should it be? Don't look at an issue with blinders on.

Faceplanted

I want leadership to use the raise issue as a bargaining tool to gain more anywhere. They have not done so in the past contract and act like its not an issue.

USE it as an issue to make gains, don't throw it under the the rug and act as it doesn't exhist. That's terrible deal making/bargaining!!! Unacceptable

FYI your 40% raise for topped out drivers is not a positive!!! It's a terrible negative. That proves you are ok with a 2 tier wage system as that's basically what is going on!! We shooting for 5 years next contract? Maybe we can move the 9-5 language to 5 year drivers too! Tisk tisk

Last edited:

wide load

I want leadership to use the raise issue as a bargaining tool to gain more anywhere. They have not done so in the past contract and act like its not an issue.

USE it as an issue to make gains, don't throw it under the the rug and act as it doesn't exhist. That's terrible deal making/bargaining!!! Unacceptable

FYI your 40% raise for topped out drivers is not a positive!!! It's a terrible negative. That proves you are ok with a 2 tier wage system as that's basically what is going on!! We shooting for 5 years next contract? Maybe we can move the 9-5 language to 5 year drivers too! Tisk tisk
I hate progression. But the percentages are your theory not mine. Btw, there is a thread to put proposals in. How much do you want in a raise? 4%? That means I get $1.48 but the 22.3 guy will get $1.12. Fair? I didn't think so.

Faceplanted

I hate progression. But the percentages are your theory not mine. Btw, there is a thread to put proposals in. How much do you want in a raise? 4%? That means I get $1.48 but the 22.3 guy will get $1.12. Fair? I didn't think so.
I want the leadership to use the fact during negotiations that as recent as 2 contracts ago we were getting 4-5% per year, more in the prior contract... as drivers obviously. Use this to bargain 9-5, or health care, or pensions I don't care, just use it!!!

Let's stop with the give backs... like I said explain 1 gain we made last contract? I'll wait.

I assuming you are an intelligent guy so I'm hope your not stupid, I think you just don't care at all about the VALID point I'm making that is proven by basic math.

1.00hr raises in 2002 when drivers topped out at 23ish

.75hr when drivers make 34.

Simple provable math brother!!!!

I'm done here, you don't want to understand at all the simple point I'm making. Damn shame.

10 Pt

How much $/hr is enough? Are we being serious here? Would you not rather see the pensions shored up so we can get out of this job sooner than later?
I used to get 5¢/hr in yearly raises before I came here. They gave profit sharing ($4,000.00/year average) but no where else have I heard of the raises that we get even with diminished percentages. (There, I said it.)
I don't have inside knowledge of what's cooking in the upcoming CBA but when you gross $1700-$2000 a week plus benefits I can't cry about a slowing of the wage increases.
There's got to be a reality check here and I hope the IBT leadership knows how to separate the pepper from the fly poop and are able to do it months prior to the deadline.
We work extremely hard (excluding feeders:rolleyes:) but we get paid extremely well.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I want the leadership to use the fact during negotiations that as recent as 2 contracts ago we were getting 4-5% per year, more in the prior contract... as drivers obviously. Use this to bargain 9-5, or health care, or pensions I don't care, just use it!!!

Let's stop with the give backs... like I said explain 1 gain we made last contract? I'll wait.

I assuming you are an intelligent guy so I'm hope your not stupid, I think you just don't care at all about the VALID point I'm making that is proven by basic math.

I'm done here, you don't want to understand at all the simple point I'm making. Damn shame.

You do realize that "your missing raise money" actually went into healthcare so you can continue to pay $0 for it !!!
At least I hope you do but you're to far in the weeds to realize that.

Faceplanted

You do realize that "your missing raise money" actually went into healthcare so you can continue to pay $0 for it !!!
At least I hope you do but you're to far in the weeds to realize that.
Cool, so why when my wife had to rush to the er due to terrible pain, im still paying for the bill

I told her to go to the walk in clinic but she thought she had a serious issue. Way better health care we have now I tell you!!!

Should we blame the teamsters backed democratic president Obama and Obamacare? Who should be blame for the health care cost "increase"

I have a problem that some of my brothers have to travel 2 hours to an "approved" MRI facility. We did not make gains. I don't use medication so the minor gain we made for Walgreens big pharma side effect causing medications doesn't help me at all.

Like I said I'm fine with current raises as long as we make gains else where!!! Let's makes it happen Boston bully!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Cool, so why when my wife had to rush to the er due to terrible pain, im still paying for the bill

I told her to go to the walk in clinic but she thought she had a serious issue. Way better health care we have now I tell you!!!

Should we blame the teamsters backed democratic president Obama and Obamacare? Who should be blame for the health care cost "increase"

giphy.gif

Go trade your healthcare with a FedEx driver or postmen.
You'd lose that deal BIGTIME !! SMFH

Faceplanted

giphy.gif

Go trade your healthcare with a FedEx driver or postmen.
You'd lose that deal BIGTIME !! SMFH
Thanks for awknoladging we gave up half our raises. That's all I want to hear.

So do we blame the teamster backed Obama? Obamacare caused massive increasises... teamsters backed Obama 100%. I'm curious who to blame?

Something something bikes!!!

wide load

I have a people that some of my brothers have to travel 2 hours to an "approved" MRI facility. We did not make gains. I don't use medication so the minor gain we made for Walgreens big pharma issue causing medications doesn't help me at all.
So now we are off the Raises and on to healthcare?

How much $/hr is enough? Are we being serious here? Would you not rather see the pensions shored up so we can get out of this job sooner than later?
I used to get 5¢/hr in yearly raises before I came here. They gave profit sharing ($4,000.00/year average) but no where else have I heard of the raises that we get even with diminished percentages. (There, I said it.)
I don't have inside knowledge of what's cooking in the upcoming CBA but when you gross $1700-$2000 a week plus benefits I can't cry about a slowing of the wage increases.
There's got to be a reality check here and I hope the IBT leadership knows how to separate the pepper from the fly poop and are able to do it months prior to the deadline.
We work extremely hard (excluding feeders:rolleyes:) but we get paid extremely well.
Great post brother. I feel if it came down to a strike, public perception would be less receptive to a driver wanting to strike for $40 an hour plus $25 unseen in H&W with 6 weeks vacation and a company car. Lol.

LeadBelly

Banned
Look up the rate of inflation the past few years. Simple economics

Raises are very relevant to inflation as this shows actual spending power.

The whole economy is based on percentages... 401k performance, inflation, home prices, profit increase. To say percentages don't matter is one of the most ignorant things I ever heard.

You have more spending power because you have years or making upper middle class money, have debts paid, and a cushion. That doesn't mean 34 an hour now has the same power as 22 A few contracts ago, especially when minimum wage almost doubled in some states during the exact same time frame

I want to talk actual numbers and percentages not your opinion about how your life is. That's all opinion based while numbers are there for everybody to see
I make 35.29 an hour, as I presume you do as well. What do you think we should be making an hour right now?

Faceplanted

I make 35.29 an hour, as I presume you do as well. What do you think we should be making an hour right now?
I think we should either go back to getting 4-6 percent a year which is obviously unrealistic

Or what should happen, is when the teamsters sit down at the table the use the fact that our raises have just about cut in half to make gains elsewhere.

Like I said. .75 is fine... sure up our pensions, make the health care better, make the 9-5 language better, make the part timers get fair pay... I can go on and on... instead we will probably get nothing positive and keep the less than before raises

Art of negotiating enh!!!! You use one give to gain one take. It seems that art is long gone as all we do is give give give give

LeadBelly

Banned
We were getting 4-6% raises prior to that. I remember around 2000 when drivers were at 23 an hour we were getting 1 dollar per year!!!!! Now we make 35 an hour and get 75ish cents per year. That a huge discrepancy!!

The reason your percentages match up is thanks to the contracts in the late 90s, early 00s not thanks to the last 2. If we keep these .75 cent raises going the next 2 contracts we won't even match inflation, but you guys will keep with the "we get paid good".

We as industry leaders should set the standard.... now FedEx express gets higher % raises.... yes non union fedex gets better raises then us.

Ups makes more profit now than ever yet we get half the raises we used to get!!!

I don't know why it's so hard for you to admit our raises are a fraction of what they were and they get worse every contract. Just admit it!!!!

Thanks bye!
So how much does a Fedex ground, and air delivery driver make? Better yet how much does it cost for a FedEx feeder driver? The comparisons with ups are scary. No wonder they can get the stuff there quicker in most lanes. It's almost impossible to compete with a cost comparison of a fed ex feeder driver.

LeadBelly

Banned

How many contracts have you negotiated? Better yet how many contract negotiations have you say in on? The reason I'm asking as that I have yet to negotiate a contract, but have gotten the chance to sit in on many.

10 Pt

So now we are off the Raises and on to healthcare?

Great post brother. I feel if it came down to a strike, public perception would be less receptive to a driver wanting to strike for $40 an hour plus $25 unseen in H&W with 6 weeks vacation and a company car. Lol.
That's garbage brother. What kind of car are you guys driving in 251?
We only have the bicycle someone stole from someone in 623 and we share it.

LeadBelly

Banned

I have a problem that some of my brothers have to travel 2 hours to an "approved" MRI facility. We did not make gains. I don't use medication so the minor gain we made for Walgreens big pharma side effect causing medications doesn't help me at all.

Like I said I'm fine with current raises as long as we make gains else where!!! Let's makes it happen Boston bully!!
Oh, you are a republican. Please disregard the last few of my posts that I directed at you. I can't reason with you, you don't like unions. Bye

Faceplanted

Oh, you are a republican. Please disregard the last few of my posts that I directed at you. I can't reason with you, you don't like unions. Bye
I'm a constitutionalist/independent

Good zinger with the republican comment, maybe the next insult will be tdu

There is much more then 2 opinions/sides to situations, the current government and union leadership don't understand that.

Typical ignorance!! I'm against Obama so I'm automatically republican. It's honestly sad that the USA has this for us or against us mentality. The happiest nations in the world have 10+ political parties, some have 60 and compromise to find middle ground.

LeadBelly

Banned
I think we should either go back to getting 4-6 percent a year which is obviously unrealistic

Or what should happen, is when the teamsters sit down at the table the use the fact that our raises have just about cut in half to make gains elsewhere.

Like I said. .75 is fine... sure up our pensions, make the health care better, make the 9-5 language better, make the part timers get fair pay... I can go on and on... instead we will probably get nothing positive and keep the less than before raises

Art of negotiating enh!!!! You use one give to gain one take. It seems that art is long gone as all we do is give give give give
Okay I'll bite, how much would you be willing to give up so that the part time starting wage goes to $15 an hour? How much would you give up for the 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 year members get the bump up in pay as well? How about the 7 to 10 year members? That's kinda a trick bag. What do you think.