UPS tells customers they begin training management today on how to keep packages moving during a strike

There’s multiple issues on both ends. The new union leadership came in guns blazing in the last election promising everything not nailed down to the floor, they can’t go back to the rank and file with something that smells of back door compromise. The members seem hellbent to strike, just for the fun of it. The “record profits” mantra is kind of bogus. That was huge revenue driven by people forced to stay home and order in, it was never going to last and is going away. The company can’t pay out massive wage increases for future revenue that’s going down, while inflation remains high. UPS has been downsizing and trimming the fat off its business. There’s already been huge layoffs in my area at least. They don’t seem sad to see some pickup contracts go away and this brewing fear of a strike doesn’t seem to worry them either about work shifting to the competition. They might want to shrink themselves a little bit and that huge 8 billion dollar payoff to the shareholders might be a cover to lesson the blow of an already slowing business. I really don’t think it would be that hard for them to train a new delivery crew off the street and hurt for awhile until it gets well oiled. Or at least make it last long enough to burn through the strike fund and bring them back to the table. Plus congress did make the rail workers accept their contract last year. Probably a good shot at the government stepping in and forcing us back to work. Still got two weeks anyways.
you've drunk way too much kool aid, almost none of that is true

Can anyone honestly think our current pt and ft management could even do our jobs past a few hours. Last contract ft management had to be drivers before they went into management. Now management walk around eating and looking at their phones.
Aug the hottest part of the year, even with scabs no way can they do our jobs.

There will be a lot of management with heat stroke. And management is pretty pissed off at corporate taking away their pensions making them pay higher premiums for their healthcare, and their pay raises were so bad a lot are pissed off.
nobody cares about the pension and most everyone likes the pay changes

the rest of your post is mostly right

The onroads at my center are relatively chill and candidly acknowledged that after they deliver what’s left in the system, there will be no more volume coming in and they’ll have nothing to do. I mean that’s obvious, but I was a little surprised to hear it said out loud.
we could still accept and move critical healthcare, anything more is pure fantasy

cynz

Last strike there were a lot of our customers jumping ship, and this was before the internet. This time I have read that our customers say it's not worth it to them to jump ship, and fed ex says this time they won't take our customers without a contract.
Our management team were told no vacations in Aug. We deliver 26 million a day it is not going to dry up overnight.
Last time they couldn't even get what we had in our system with the scabs, and ex driver management.
I can barely remember when we went back to work, it was a mess, it was lighter for 5 days. Quickly caught back up.

HarryWarden

Last strike there were a lot of our customers jumping ship, and this was before the internet. This time I have read that our customers say it's not worth it to them to jump ship, and fed ex says this time they won't take our customers without a contract.
Our management team were told no vacations in Aug. We deliver 26 million a day it is not going to dry up overnight.
Last time they couldn't even get what we had in our system with the scabs, and ex driver management.
I can barely remember when we went back to work, it was a mess, it was lighter for 5 days. Quickly caught back up.
So what are you thinking? Do you think ups is in a better position now compared to 97 or worse? Do you think we’ll strike and for how long?

I’m really getting to anxious over this :censored2:, I don’t like it at all

cynz

I think we are in a better place than last time. UPS was trying to bust us last time. The union didnt have a strike fund. We were half of what we are today in employees.
The public is way more pro-union than back then. 8.50 an hour in 91 was double what other jobs were being paid back then.
And 20.00 today some fast-food places are getting that pay.
Public is getting really tired of corporate greed.

Our management teams are so clueless about any of our jobs. UPS stopped having trained management instead hired babysitters. When they say their training non union workers I just want to laugh, like there going to take the time and train these sups are jobs, when none of them know how to do it. I train my coworkers because management doesn't have a clue how I do my job. LOL

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
FDBF4FB1-15D0-42A8-A2A4-79938490C7ED.png

anonymous23456

Sounds like time to cut the fat, of management.
Good idea...how's about we shut down the whole company to save even more money? Close and shut down the company and we don't even have to spend 1 penny?

Did you go to school where they teach you that in order to make money you have to spend money?

ManInBrown

The onroads at my center are relatively chill and candidly acknowledged that after they deliver what’s left in the system, there will be no more volume coming in and they’ll have nothing to do. I mean that’s obvious, but I was a little surprised to hear it said out loud.
Understand one thing. On roads and center managers for the most part are piss ants. You have no idea how low they are on the totem pole. You’re not a somebody at UPS until DM. Anything below they spend all day being screamed at by important people. Take whatever they say with a grain of salt. On roads and center manager’s are the tiniest step above PT supervisors and they’re pond scum.

anonymous23456

Understand one thing. On roads and center managers for the most part are piss ants. You have no idea how low they are on the totem pole. You’re not a somebody at UPS until DM. Anything below they spend all day being screamed at by important people. Take whatever they say with a grain of salt. On roads and center manager’s are the tiniest step above PT supervisors and they’re pond scum.
Not all of them are pond scum but I get your point. However, you also forget that there are managers in other area such as finance, accounting, IT, custom, logistics, building maintenance, sales, legal, and so on.

Pullman Brown

Good idea...how's about we shut down the whole company to save even more money? Close and shut down the company and we don't even have to spend 1 penny?

Did you go to school where they teach you that in order to make money you have to spend money?

Government bailout at that point- crony capitalism. Too big to fail. Come on!

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
This whole month made me realize how garbage ups is. Unbelievable. At the end of the day I don’t want to strike. Rather we get the contract we need and keep it moving. People think the strike is all fun games until it goes longer then expected and the temptation to cross becomes real.

I’m good to go. I took this job for the benefits already have my exit plan in place if need be.