Ups testing delivering ground on saturdays

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the western states there is a 35 cent per hour premium for working a tues-sat gig. you do not get time and a half for Saturday work on this schedule but all other overtime rules apply. sometimes drivers on this kind of run would be called in on Monday and they would have to be paid time and a half for all hours worked that Monday.

you may want to check your supplement on that.

we had several feeder runs that were tues-sat. It was sweet working Saturday when no one was around. and you would come in at 3-4 oclock in the morning. they would have to give you the gate code and you would have the whole yard to yourself. and another benny was being on a paper time card because you could not go into the building. you would leave all your paperwork, keys , etc. in a drop box. even one day a week without management was great . it did not even feel like work.

same with the layover runs that came in late Saturday or Sundays.

We are talking package car on a T-S schedule with no premium pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's true. For example, before Orion came to my center, the center (mgt) never spoke a word about it. If you were a driver who didn't learn about it on BC or other driver word of mouth, you had never even heard of it. All of a sudden, the Orion team just showed up.

I remember walking up to our DM when he was in town and asking him when we could expect to go live on Orion. He gave me this look like "how in the hell did you hear about Orion?" Priceless.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In the western states there is a 35 cent per hour premium for working a tues-sat gig. you do not get time and a half for Saturday work on this schedule but all other overtime rules apply. sometimes drivers on this kind of run would be called in on Monday and they would have to be paid time and a half for all hours worked that Monday.

you may want to check your supplement on that.

we had several feeder runs that were tues-sat. It was sweet working Saturday when no one was around. and you would come in at 3-4 oclock in the morning. they would have to give you the gate code and you would have the whole yard to yourself. and another benny was being on a paper time card because you could not go into the building. you would leave all your paperwork, keys , etc. in a drop box. even one day a week without management was great . it did not even feel like work.

same with the layover runs that came in late Saturday or Sundays.
This has nothing to do with package.

ManInBrown

My son would echo your feelings as he just started driving FT this summer. My FT center managers response would be "don't like your job, quit".
We get the old "The door is right over there if you don't like it here" at least once a week during the PCM. People that don't work here would never understand the hostility between drivers and our superiors. I've given up trying to even explain to family

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We get the old "The door is right over there if you don't like it here" at least once a week during the PCM. People that don't work here would never understand the hostility between drivers and our superiors. I've given up trying to even explain to family
I always liked this one
There's 2 doors out of here you can either drive out that one or walk out the other
Your choice

JL 0513

It wouldn't feel right working Saturday for straight time even with Monday off. When every Saturday you've ever worked was time and a half, it would be mentally tough to get past that.

ManInBrown

It wouldn't feel right working Saturday for straight time even with Monday off. When every Saturday you've ever worked was time and a half, it would be mentally tough to get past that.
It would be HORRIBLE to have to BROWN up, every SATURDAY. Even with Monday off. Would completely change my life, and not for the better.

It would be HORRIBLE to have to BROWN up, every SATURDAY. Even with Monday off. Would completely change my life, and not for the better.
I BROWN up every Sat. and work six days a week and it is not horrible. Of course I know there is a big difference in being forced to do something and wanting to work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All of the times you've told members to quit complaining they are compensated well. Now this. Lol cracks me up.

upschuck

I know a few people that work tues-sat. Initially, most didn't particularly like the idea, but after getting used to it, don't really want to go back to mon-fri.

JL 0513

All of the times you've told members to quit complaining they are compensated well. Now this. Lol cracks me up.

What does the two have to do with each other? Just because I believe we are compensated well doesn't mean I also believe we shouldn't get time and half if we work holidays. I didn't say we should be paid time and a half Saturdays if we are on Tuesday through Saturday, just that the feeling of it won't feel right when we've always been paid overtime on Saturdays.

Another way of looking at it is that we apply a different value to Saturdays than we do Modays. Saturdays are far more important to our personal lives. Yet we won't be paid any extra for killing off our most valuable day of the week.