UPS to Deliver For L.L.Bean

UPSNewbie

I order B&N and Amazon all the time. Most of the time, Amazon does ship UPS for me. If not, it usually is coming from an outside dealer that uses Amazon.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I really hope that bit about Amazon isn't true. There are some days a third of my route is Amazon. Someone at work was saying they heard Eddie Bauer switched to Fed-Ex also, but I haven't been able to verify that one.
According to the Eddie Bauer in 0400 area, they did switch. Fedex promised to save them big money. Don't want to quote $$ or duration of the agreement. But at one time last summer, we had a pkg car FULL of it every day, 70+ pieces. Now there is almost nothing.

satellitedriver

Amazon is mainly a name brand.
They invite company's to list their products, in an Amazon store front and take a decent percentage off the top of the sale.
Amazon has their stuff together, but they are only a name brand selling a service, much like UPS.
A large percent of Amazon sales are with small companies that chose their own shipping method.
The only reason I know this is because my wife works for one, and controls what gets shipped,by whom.
This small company my wife works for does about $2 to $3 million in sales a year through Amazon. The bulk of it goes USPS,then UPS.FedEx gets zilch.
If you see a pkg that is wrapped as Amazon, that means they control the shipping method and are under contract to a specific carrier.
This is a huge number, but, it is only a percentile of the true volume that flows under their moniker.

They cannot control shipping methods within their "stores".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
USPS Express Mail and most Priority Mail is line-hauled via FedEx. I have not heard that we have anything exclusive with Amazon, but losing LL Bean is a big deal.

A few years back, FedEx actually dumped a number of large shippers because the profit margin was so small. Both UPS and FedEx used to cut each other's throats on rates all the time, much to the delight of shippers who would play the sales guys off against each other and walk-away with incredibly discounted shipping.

If UPS undercut FedEx just to get the volume (not the revenue), it might not be all that profitable to take over LL Bean.

COSMOS

I couldn't link to the newsletter because its on the intranet. The first paragraph says " Recently Amazon.com signed an exclusive multi-year deal with FedEx SmartPost. Once fully ramped in February, this close will generate more than 80 million pieces of annual incremental volume, almost doubling SmartPost's volume system-wide." The rest lists the technical logistical details and its signed Gleda Corwin VP Sales.

ol'browneye

I just ordered some ink for my Dell printer. DHL used to bring it. I'm curious to see if I will deliver that to myself this time.

Ends up the Dell ink came today by UPS. So I guess we did get some of the Dell business back. I still haven't seen any Dell computers .