UPS to deliver seven days week

Scuba Steve

New cockpits add a lot of flexibility with rotating aircraft through the system.

And traditionally cargo aircraft are older age wise. We don’t utilize them for near the amount of hours as passenger airlines. Total cost is lower even with higher operating cost than buying brand new. It only pays off with aircraft like the 747-8 that we are buying where the daily hours in the air is substantially higher

Not sure what you mean about “new cockpits add a lot of flexibility with rotating aircraft through the system? The new avionics are replacing aging systems. This will allow more efficient routing while in the air. It also gives the pilots more safety and aircraft performance data. Nothing to do with flexibility rotating aircraft through the system.

Aircraft utilization at UPS has increased substantially. Domestic hub turns now have multiple stops then do 2d turns returning back to gateways for 1d hub turns.

UPS has bought very few used aircraft in the last 15 years. A few 747-400’s and a few 76 p2f conversions. The used aircraft dispatch reliability along with aircraft cycles are a problem. Example is the MD-11 fleet. This fleet is supposed to be retired in 6 years. The MD-11’s are already flying less INTL and more domestic because of poor dispatch reliability. The first new build 75 for UPS is still going strong. It’s over 30 years old now. The 3 used 76’s bought are being used in Europe because somebody realized after the fact that the lower rear cargo doors were smaller than the rest of the 76 fleet.

Bit we don't have enough jets now. What excuse are they going to use when leak fails this year?

Not to mention the package cars that have been red tagged since the be the year

They are going to need a lot of work.

UPS is supposedly going to be placing another aircraft order within the next 90 days. New hire pilots coming in every month. These new aircraft are also supposed to be MD-11 replacements. The MD-11’s are going to be retired slowly over the next 6 years. UPS has been contracting out lift all year and last year to companies like Western Global. Peak won’t be any different than it has the last few decades with multiple aircraft from multiple carriers contracted out to handle the additional lift. I always use to love seeing all the different aircraft on the ramp.

Not sure what you mean about “new cockpits add a lot of flexibility with rotating aircraft through the system? The new avionics are replacing aging systems. This will allow more efficient routing while in the air. It also gives the pilots more safety and aircraft performance data. Nothing to do with flexibility rotating aircraft through the system.

Aircraft utilization at UPS has increased substantially. Domestic hub turns now have multiple stops then do 2d turns returning back to gateways for 1d hub turns.

UPS has bought very few used aircraft in the last 15 years. A few 747-400’s and a few 76 p2f conversions. The used aircraft dispatch reliability along with aircraft cycles are a problem. Example is the MD-11 fleet. This fleet is supposed to be retired in 6 years. The MD-11’s are already flying less INTL and more domestic because of poor dispatch reliability. The first new build 75 for UPS is still going strong. It’s over 30 years old now. The 3 used 76’s bought are being used in Europe because somebody realized after the fact that the lower rear cargo doors were smaller than the rest of the 76 fleet.

UPS is supposedly going to be placing another aircraft order within the next 90 days. New hire pilots coming in every month. These new aircraft are also supposed to be MD-11 replacements. The MD-11’s are going to be retired slowly over the next 6 years. UPS has been contracting out lift all year and last year to companies like Western Global. Peak won’t be any different than it has the last few decades with multiple aircraft from multiple carriers contracted out to handle the additional lift. I always use to love seeing all the different aircraft on the ramp.
They need to do something. I wonder how much they are giving in refunds for late air?

Box Ox

Of course!
"We lose money delivering on Saturday, but we can make up the losses from Saturday by losing money on Sunday delivery"
Makes sense to those in the Ivory Tower!

Think the main concern is losing entire customer accounts to shippers who can deliver 7 days a week.

MostHelpNeeded

Think the main concern is losing entire customer accounts to shippers who can deliver 7 days a week.

This. This 100x...and no one seems to get it here. Times are changing, and changing they are. Retail locations are disappearing. More and more stores close every year. Shopping online is becoming more of a necessity vs a luxury.

When I buy on-line, it's because it's something I can't run down to Walmart and grab. If I can't get it at Walmart, there's a good chance I can't get it anywhere locally. It's a lack of options. And most of the time, if I'm buying something it's because I want it.

Listen, it's not 1995 anymore. If I order something on a Thursday, I don't want to wait until Monday...or worse, the middle of next week to get it. Especially when Amazon will get it to me the same or next day. Why would I? We might not like it, and none of us want to work weekends, but that is reality. No one wants to wait anymore, and why would they? They don't have to, the option is there. It isn't going away. We either change to accommodate OUR market or we get left behind.

If you were running a business and picking a shipping service, you'd want one that wouldn't handicap you at the end of the week. If we don't deliver on weekends, that's exactly what we'd be doing to ourselves. It's becoming an industry norm. Sucks for the frontline worker, but it's reality.

With that said, I think we need,as a company, to seriously take a look at work schedules. Monday-Friday just doesn't work anymore. I can't speak for anyone, But if shorter workweeks/longer days were ever proposed, I'd be a serious advocate. Sun-Tuesday and Thurs-Sat shifts at 12/hr per day and split Wednesday down the middle between the two groups

Blackadder 2

My building can't even hire enough drivers for mon-fri. Never mind the horror show of forcing people to work Saturdays. Adding Sunday will just be that much more fun.

Dr.Brownz

Did we all forget this video? Laugh all you want but I bet UPS is looking at rural areas more then city when it comes to drones.

Not saying its going to be a great idea but I'm sure they will try it.

Yeah im sure the drone will be able to figure out a safe,out of sight, and dry location for the package every time!