UPS wants us to pay 90 dollars a week for health insurance!?!?!?

LateAir

We were on the picket line at 12:01 am 8/1/97. It lasted 15 days. It's February, the month you decide to do with your option weeks. Cash them and set aside for August. Better to be prepared. Had a Rally here on Saturday, Hall and O'Brien were ADAMANT that would will not pay one cent for healthcare!

I think you might have your dates mixed up.

The contract expired at 12:01 AM on 8-1 which was a Friday morning. On Thursday, July 31st the union agreed to a 3 day extension of the old agreement, which expired on Sunday night. We worked on Friday, then showed up on Sunday night to start picketing right at midnight.

Thx for the correction. Completely forgot about the extension.

A

anonymous6

I worked for UPS for a while(7 years ago) and while I wasn't topped out I'd gladly have paid 90 a week for healthcare
now I'm at FedEx pay 110 a week for healthcare, have a ****ty wage, and have collected welfare because we don't make enough to cover all the expenses.
Be happy with what you have... fight for it, but realize at least you can afford it.

yours is an interesting perspective but is fedex making a BILLION or more PROFITS every 3 MONTHS?????????

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
You just have to love a "constitutionist" when they visit a post. Lets see, where to start... How about small business... First, under the new affordable health care law, if an small business is under 50 employees, then its not AFFECTED by the law and would have to refer to state laws and guidelines for insurance. Thats a little something your "programmers" at FOX NEWS or Right wing radio wont tell you.

Second, as for the health care law being unconstitutional? Where do you see that? The supreme court ruled in a 5 to 4 vote that it met the standards of the constitution under the General Welfare clause.

The founders THEMSELVES mandated health insurance for sailors and dockworkers and created the "maritime hospital" system to care for sailors and dockworkers. This insurance HAD TO BE PURCHASED by the sailors and dockworkers. They did this under the GENERAL WELFARE CLAUSE.

Again, something you wont hear on FOX NEWS or Right wing radio.

Now, tell me again how the affordable health care act is unconstitutional?

Lastly, that old piece of paper was a flawed document to start out with. It was amended several times to "CORRECT" err's and prohibitions on citizens.

That old piece of paper is a living document adjusting to the times.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[SUP][note 1][/SUP] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Did you miss this part of the preamble of the Constitution?

Peace

TOS

The affordable health care act, is just that " affordable " not " free ". I think this is the missing part of the discussion. This means it is not free, hosting a charge around 70 dollars a month to use. Now, I know people I work with who have two jobs and cant spare 20$ a week to eat out. How are they to obtain this " tax " if that cant afford it in the first place? Another reason the big O came out to raise the minimal wage from 7.25 to 9.00 dollars. This is to make it able for more taxes. I wince when I hear them raising the wage up, because it means more taxes are coming. O care is the gorilla in the room no one notices.

On top of this, we the people ask the government to run a health care system? Hasnt that been tried already, or is it still going on. I forget really, but it doesnt seem like its going too well as is. We are asking people who cant even run a cafeteria. Not to menction, asking the government to take hold of medical records, billing and others. Too much going on here to not say unconstitutional. On top of adding more death plannels to those they deem not worth taking care of. We are asking for a health care system alike Canada.

As for general welfare, if you deem it right for governemt to tax the hell out of buisness and the people, then thats the welfare one askes for. You libs have been lied to for such a long time, and for that I am sorry. You talk about FOX this and FOX that. Well that baby has been around for a fraction of time from the liberal media. You've been preached to by the lefties all your lives and cant turn from that mind set or way of thinking. The truth is fact and it hurts man, I know I am sorry.

50 people huh? Is that right, well, if someone has 35 workers and chooses to supply them with health coverage, that agencies will be fine along as UPS is seeing coming the pike. In reality, everyone will be tax more over the big O care. It doesnt matter if they have 10 workers or 10,000. Health care prices in all matters will go up. This inturn causes buisness owners to cut back, thus they start letting people go. Its simple economics, really. I guess I was the only one who paid attention in high school during this class.

They say these things at the start of such bills, amendments and laws. But what has the past told us about such things? They dont last, they change and become larger and larger until its too big a baby to throw out, thus becoming too unstable and consuming. This health care thing, I'm seeing bad things to come when it happens. Head my warning, make note of it, and come back and tell me it was all truth when its all said and done.

As for adding to the constitution, sure. This document of our God given rights isnt a complete document. It stands to add to and taken away from. It isnt perfect, imperfect for a reason. To be incomplete when the need arises. That things can always change, for better or worse, is that what we are asking here. But the originals stand alone, these should always be set in stone. Health care, anit one, welfare for an individual is something the individual should be responsible for, not the government.

kuff

Did you hear that UPS is now sponsoring Formula F1 Racing. They seem to be able to throw a ton of money into Sponsorship. That tells me they can afford to maintain our health insurance with no increase from the employees that keep this company thriving.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
The affordable health care act, is just that " affordable " not " free ".
As for general welfare, if you deem it right for governemt to tax the hell out of buisness and the people, then thats the welfare one askes for. You libs have been lied to for such a long time, and for that I am sorry. You talk about FOX this and FOX that. Well that baby has been around for a fraction of time from the liberal media. You've been preached to by the lefties all your lives and cant turn from that mind set or way of thinking. The truth is fact and it hurts man, I know I am sorry.

As for adding to the constitution, sure. This document of our God given rights isnt a complete document. It stands to add to and taken away from. It isnt perfect, imperfect for a reason. To be incomplete when the need arises. That things can always change, for better or worse, is that what we are asking here. But the originals stand alone, these should always be set in stone. Health care, anit one, welfare for an individual is something the individual should be responsible for, not the government.

Orly

Please don't take these words as an insult because I type with the highest regard to you, Orly.

I love these words because they are not riddled with subtle images of liberal or conservative thought.
I read these words and I stepped back because these are the words of the common man.
This is a good post.
Thank you
AJ

beentheredonethat

ya know , i can see the problem for the co. point of view. my wife was in the hospital for 3 DAYS and the hospital bill was for $38,000 and the insurance co payed every cent without a fuss.

something wrong with that. they should of at least negotiated the bill. without checks and balances with health care costs there will be no limit what hospitals will charge.
I'm willing to bet either the 38K was the negotiated rate.. Or they "paid in full", but on a predetermined discount. So they paid 70% of the bill, and the hospital waived the other 30% (or something like that). No Insurance company I know of pays 100% of the bill. They all get discounts from providers.

beentheredonethat

You just have to love a "constitutionist" when they visit a post. Lets see, where to start...Second, as for the health care law being unconstitutional? Where do you see that? The supreme court ruled in a 5 to 4 vote that it met the standards of the constitution under the General Welfare clause.
....... They did this under the GENERAL WELFARE CLAUSE.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[SUP][note 1][/SUP] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Peace

TOS

It was deemed constitutional based on Judge Roberts beign the swing vote, and he ruled it was a "TAX" which the constitution grants the right to tax to the federal govt. Ironically, the backers of Obamacare initially said it wasn't a tax.

The founding fathers stated the mandated insurance purchase was also a TAX, but was interpreted as a fine.

Justice Roberts ruled on the side of the constitution and the history of the USA. The other conservatives voted strickly on party lines and proof would be Justice Thomas HALF PAGE summary. The man is soooo stupid, all he could put together was a half of a page. The others provided PAGES of opinion, yet Thomas could only muster a half page of party line talking points.

At the end of the day, TAX, FINE, PENALTY, FEE, whats the difference?

Nice try.

Peace

TOS

My point is YOU SPECIFICALLY stated that it was constituional based on the general welfare clause. The Obama administration went before the Supreme Court arguing it was constitutional based on the commerce clause (regulating interstate commerce). John Roberts, allowed the new law to pass, but he said it was constitutional under the federal taxing authority within the constition.

So you Fully 100% said it was based on General Welfare.. You are wrong about that, based on what the Obama administration argued, and also why it passed the Supreme Court per the taxing authority. Then you say what difference does it make. The difference is you make things up and use faulty logic. Not sure what TV shows you watch, but you should change your channel. You can't keep making **** up and thinking people will believe you.

beentheredonethat

You just have to love a "constitutionist" when they visit a post. Lets see, where to start...Second, as for the health care law being unconstitutional? Where do you see that? The supreme court ruled in a 5 to 4 vote that it met the standards of the constitution under the General Welfare clause.
....... They did this under the GENERAL WELFARE CLAUSE.

Peace

TOS

It was deemed constitutional based on Judge Roberts beign the swing vote, and he ruled it was a "TAX" which the constitution grants the right to tax to the federal govt. Ironically, the backers of Obamacare initially said it wasn't a tax.

The founding fathers stated the mandated insurance purchase was also a TAX, but was interpreted as a fine.

Justice Roberts ruled on the side of the constitution and the history of the USA. The other conservatives voted strickly on party lines and proof would be Justice Thomas HALF PAGE summary. The man is soooo stupid, all he could put together was a half of a page. The others provided PAGES of opinion, yet Thomas could only muster a half page of party line talking points.

At the end of the day, TAX, FINE, PENALTY, FEE, whats the difference?

Nice try.

Peace

TOS

My point is YOU SPECIFICALLY stated that it was constituional based on the general welfare clause. The Obama administration went before the Supreme Court arguing it was constitutional based on the commerce clause (regulating interstate commerce). John Roberts, allowed the new law to pass, but he said it was constitutional under the federal taxing authority within the constition.

So you Fully 100% said it was based on General Welfare.. You are wrong about that, based on what the Obama administration argued, and also why it passed the Supreme Court per the taxing authority. Then you say what difference does it make. The difference is you make things up and use faulty logic. Not sure what TV shows you watch, but you should change your channel. You can't keep making **** up and thinking people will believe you. Then you say what's the difference.. The difference is you are wrong.

browniehound

If they want $90 a week just put the anchor down on your route and work an extra 3 hours a week to make up the difference. I see the numbers everyday and I'm under allowed all the time. The bulk deliveries and pick-ups hide a lot of ills in my speed. There would be nothing they could say because I'm making their numbers. Doubt its going to happen though.

stink219

If they want $90 a week just put the anchor down on your route and work an extra 3 hours a week to make up the difference. I see the numbers everyday and I'm under allowed all the time. The bulk deliveries and pick-ups hide a lot of ills in my speed. There would be nothing they could say because I'm making their numbers. Doubt its going to happen though.
There is nothing they can say anyway. I average 1.5 over and I'm proud of it!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The affordable health care act, is just that " affordable " not " free ". I think this is the missing part of the discussion. This means it is not free, hosting a charge around 70 dollars a month to use. Now, I know people I work with who have two jobs and cant spare 20$ a week to eat out. How are they to obtain this " tax " if that cant afford it in the first place? Another reason the big O came out to raise the minimal wage from 7.25 to 9.00 dollars. This is to make it able for more taxes. I wince when I hear them raising the wage up, because it means more taxes are coming. O care is the gorilla in the room no one notices.

On top of this, we the people ask the government to run a health care system? Hasnt that been tried already, or is it still going on. I forget really, but it doesnt seem like its going too well as is. We are asking people who cant even run a cafeteria. Not to menction, asking the government to take hold of medical records, billing and others. Too much going on here to not say unconstitutional. On top of adding more death plannels to those they deem not worth taking care of. We are asking for a health care system alike Canada.

50 people huh? Is that right, well, if someone has 35 workers and chooses to supply them with health coverage, that agencies will be fine along as UPS is seeing coming the pike. In reality, everyone will be tax more over the big O care. It doesnt matter if they have 10 workers or 10,000. Health care prices in all matters will go up. This inturn causes buisness owners to cut back, thus they start letting people go. Its simple economics, really. I guess I was the only one who paid attention in high school during this class.

They say these things at the start of such bills, amendments and laws. But what has the past told us about such things? They dont last, they change and become larger and larger until its too big a baby to throw out, thus becoming too unstable and consuming. This health care thing, I'm seeing bad things to come when it happens. Head my warning, make note of it, and come back and tell me it was all truth when its all said and done.

I was gonna say something like this, but you did it Oh so much better. Be careful what you wish for, vote for, and if you voted for it, love it. Own it, you did it!