UPS Work Ethic - IS America Losing It?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Forced labor camps, give me a break. They work there because they pay better than most jobs, feed them every meal, and even offer them housing. Those people are willing to do those jobs.

We're in a global economy now. It's time to adapt and not get stuck in this 20th Century View that we should close ourselves off.

Actually do some more research into this. Chinese working conditions are terrible. Their "housing " is 20 people shoved in a small room in conditions that would make you vomit. "Their "meals " are stuff we wouldn't feed our animals. They aren't "willing" they're being forced to. Corruption in the Chinese government is well documented.

Global economy is no excuse to justify the race to the bottom it seems to be producing. And unless you're in the .01% of the global elite and rich, stuff like this hurts all of us in the long run. Even you.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Actually do some more research into this. Chinese working conditions are terrible. Their "housing " is 20 people shoved in a small room in conditions that would make you vomit. "Their "meals " are stuff we wouldn't feed our animals. They aren't "willing" they're being forced to. Corruption in the Chinese government is well documented.
You think a company like Apple would expose themselves to conditions like that? Look at what happened when it was discovered Nike was paying Vietnamese kids to make shoes. Like I mentioned earlier, my stepfather goes to China regularly. He's been to the Shenzen factory where they make the apple products. He's told me that while they aren't obviously in luxury, they get paid well for the area, and the conditions aren't below the Chinese norms. He said hardly any of it reminds him of the slave labor.
Global economy is no excuse to justify the race to the bottom it seems to be producing. And unless you're in the .01% of the global elite and rich, stuff like this hurts all of us in the long run. Even you.
You're under the assumption that the Chinese and other developing countries are going to want to maintain their lifestyle. When that just isn't true. China is quickly becoming a very consumer based economy. Look at the explosion of Alibaba. Look at how many iPhones and iPads Apple sells there. You can't buy those products on slave wages. The race to the bottom argument is an old one because it's acts under the assumption people don't want nice things. These developing nations are quickly becoming economic powerhouses because companies have moved their production there. As those people get jobs in factories and start earning a higher income they can buy those products. It's a cyclical cycle. Sure the entire world isn't ever going to be on par with each other. But the China of today isn't the China of a decade ago.

JL 0513

When "workers" demand $15 an hour for flipping burgers or being a wally world greeter, it's safe to say, yes, Americans are losing their work ethic.

This is what's coming to your McDonald's. You want $15?, well now you have no job.

And it won't stop at POS. There's already machine's developed that assemble burgers/sandwiches.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This is what's coming to your McDonald's. You want $15?, well now you have no job.

And it won't stop at POS. There's already machine's developed that assemble burgers/sandwiches.
It wouldn't bother me if all fast-food chains went out of business. :D

And to the image: higher-paying tech jobs will be needed to repair those very same machines. Those tasks, at least as of now, you can't outsource.

JL 0513

It wouldn't bother me if all fast-food chains went out of business. :D

And to the image: higher-paying tech jobs will be needed to repair those very same machines. Those tasks, at least as of now, you can't outsource.

Those machines could very well be made overseas. And these things are low maintenance. You might need one on call technician per 100's of kiosks.

A high minimum wage would devastate entry level workers for numerous reasons. The left never thinks of consequences. They just look at the pretty surface of issues. Gotta see the big picture in everything before making a judgment.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A high minimum wage would devastate entry level workers for numerous reasons. The left never thinks of consequences. They just look at the pretty surface of issues. Gotta see the big picture in everything before making a judgment.
The only "real" solution is to eliminate minimum wages. Otherwise, it should be much higher than it is. There's no middle ground for me with that issue...it's either a livable wage (of course that could/should be balanced with local cost-of-living standards) or no wage fixing at all.

Wages in many industries and areas would actually increase if we eliminated minimum wages altogether. Price fixing does not always guarantee better results, that is for sure.

JL 0513

Even defining a "living wage" is nearly impossible. Too many factors and circumstances. How do you set a living wage for the single guy vs. the family man with 5 kids when they are doing the same job? Does the government have to set a thousand different living wages based on location (Manhattan vs. living in Alabama for example)? What is "living"?
Most "poor" people in America have a roof over their heads, a refrigerator, stove, microwave, A/C, flat screen TV, cell phone, and all the other basics. They are actually rich compared to much of the world who are really dirt poor just trying to survive until tomorrow.

Entry level minimum wage jobs aren't designed to support a family on. Most of these people are one among a household of income earners. Most often teens living with parents. If they are older adults, then they clearly took the wrong path in life. It's up to them to advance themselves. The government cannot advance you.

The PT turn over rate is because of the low wages and lack of hours. In my building the guys and girls that end up staying past a couple months are all studs. They are also looking for a better job with more pay.

Dr.Brownz

The alternative is to live/work on a farm and starve to death

Faceplanted

You think a company like Apple would expose themselves to conditions like that? Look at what happened when it was discovered Nike was paying Vietnamese kids to make shoes. Like I mentioned earlier, my stepfather goes to China regularly. He's been to the Shenzen factory where they make the apple products. He's told me that while they aren't obviously in luxury, they get paid well for the area, and the conditions aren't below the Chinese norms. He said hardly any of it reminds him of the slave labor.

You're under the assumption that the Chinese and other developing countries are going to want to maintain their lifestyle. When that just isn't true. China is quickly becoming a very consumer based economy. Look at the explosion of Alibaba. Look at how many iPhones and iPads Apple sells there. You can't buy those products on slave wages. The race to the bottom argument is an old one because it's acts under the assumption people don't want nice things. These developing nations are quickly becoming economic powerhouses because companies have moved their production there. As those people get jobs in factories and start earning a higher income they can buy those products. It's a cyclical cycle. Sure the entire world isn't ever going to be on par with each other. But the China of today isn't the China of a decade ago.
And your dad says they get paid well because he lives exactly like how they do. I highly doubt that. He has no clue exactly how they live. Like I said China is still very secretive. I'm sure your dad and all the othrr management have went through desensivity and "brainwash" seminars like most of them do. I'm sure ups upper management thinks 9.50 an hour and 20 hours a week the pt people make is an acceptable wage. There is a huge disconnect there

Even of 80 of China is impoverished to hell and back the other 20 can account for all the iPhone puechases and other wastes of money. It does not make it ok for the 80% who can't even get a proper deliscious meal

Faceplanted

Also consumer based economy is in no way superior to any other type of economy. All it does it push planned obsolenence, make the rich richer and enslave us to crap we don't even really need.

Humans were not meant to live the life we do, with all this work and stress. All the depression and mental disorders are proof. The simple life brings more joy than any iPad could.

Last edited:

Bottom rung

I have family that travels and visits manufacturing facilities. All of them have a front where they bring the American businessman to see the place operate. When the sweat shop is in the back.

Dr.Brownz

Most farms set up their crops on a rotation basis with multiple harvest times throughout the year.

Which is still at specific times not everyday; so they eat corn every day and get nutrient deficincies and then they eat potatoes everyday and suffer some other nutrient deficiencies

Besides you probably just read that in a book I cant imagine a new york rat like yourself has ever walked on anything but concrete