UPS Work Ethic

frateshkr

Work ethic is like anything else, it is not specific to UPS employees. On a daily basis I see plenty of employees at UPS that in my opinion are not deserving of the job. However it has been more than apparent that that too is not reserved for only UPS. We all deliver to places every day that when we walk in there are numerous people just standing around doing nothing. I believe that "work ethic" is something that you either have or you do not. I have always been of the opinion that regardless of your occupation you be the best and do the best you can while there. As far as production that UPS gets out of us, thats entirely different. Having a good "work ethic" makes the demands easier on you but if you don't have the "work ethic" the demand doesn't disappear it just makes your life more difficult. Also I agree with previous post in regards to our outstanding pay and benefits. We are payed quite well for the job that we do, so I would hope that UPS would require production that mirrors it.

Well put 287. If the saying goes...a fair day's work for a fair day's pay....is accurate, then it only needs to be determined the level of volume on that fair day and pay. For instance, if i am expected to pick up cans then the pay is easily adjusted to the price of aluminum. If I am expected to make 90 delivery stops and 35 pickups that net the company...oh lets say 9500 dollars in revenue that day then the pay should be commensurate as well. It has seemed to me over 35 years at ups that very few folks who didn't meet the challenge of turning in good figures for the company managed to stick around for very long.

A fair days pay....quite the concept. I wonder how sincerely that principle applies as you move up the ladder at ups or is it mainly a slogan for the hourly folks.

TheKid

I also get my work ethic from my dad...and my mom for that matter. I agree that some people take advantage of the "protection" that the union provides. Unfortunately as a steward I am more familiar with these people than the others. But you have to take the good with the bad. NY....I do not expect us to agree on alot of things....especially baseball...but I want to ask you a serious question....all are welcome to answer. Without the union....do you HONESTLY think you would be making $29+/hr. and be getting 6 raises over the next 3 1/2 yrs. (my math may be fuzzy). Look what they are doing to there own. Also, do you think they would give us all the perks we are given because they weren't written in our contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, I was a member of Red Sox nation long before it was known as such. The Air Force brought me to New York. My first visit to Fenway was in 1969. I was 8 and went there with my Little League team. We lost to the Royals 11-3 but I didn't care. I have been back three times since, with my kids, and am in awe each time I go. We drive in to Cambridge and take the T.

Secondly, we will actually be getting 7 split raises during the remainder of this contract, including the raise we will be receiving tomorrow. 2013 will be very interesting, to put it mildly, and I think every Teamster had better get used to the word "concession". Our price point is such that we are losing our competitive advantage. I can't tell you how many sales leads I have had come back unsold due to our price point.

Do I think that we would be getting $30/hr with full benefits without the Union? Of course not. Do I think that what we do is worth $30/hr with full benefits. No, I do not, and I think that you will see this point addressed in 2013 with a two-tiered wage system, with a grandfathering clause for current employees with a specific seniority date. I think a more equitable wage would be a top rate somewhere closer to $25/hr w/full benefits or $30/hr with employee contribution toward health and welfare benefits.

lastoasis

Do I think that we would be getting $30/hr with full benefits without the Union? Of course not. Do I think that what we do is worth $30/hr with full benefits. No, I do not, and I think that you will see this point addressed in 2013 with a two-tiered wage system, with a grandfathering clause for current employees with a specific seniority date. I think a more equitable wage would be a top rate somewhere closer to $25/hr w/full benefits or $30/hr with employee contribution toward health and welfare benefits.

Do you feel all package car drivers are overpaid or just you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All. What we do here is not rocket science.

My ex wife is an RN with 27 yrs experience and it wasn't until her most recent pay raise that she finally made more per hour than I do. She saves lives--we deliver packages.

TheKid

My wife is also an RN. (were we like separated at birth). Unfortunately your pay is not determined by the importance of your skill (please see teachers, firemen, policemen....) but how much money it makes your "boss" (pro atheltes, actors, singers....).

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Manny-Ramirez-drugs-suspended.jpg How is this guy's work ethic ?
Manny-Ramirez-drugs-suspended.jpg

klein

Für Meno :)
I worked hard all my life... from the age of 11 on.... reALLY !

Even with UPS.... as I understand, no one before or yet after me, can make my numbers !
But... as you all know, I been fired, for not taking a lunchbreak (taking it after work instead). But, thats the past.
UPS gets to pay 2 drivers now for the work, I did. I'm happy for that. They take thier lunch, and thier time. I should have done the same.
Work Ehtic has nothing to do with me.
Just, I saved up enough money, to take a middle age crises break from work. (forced, but thats ok, too).
I'll be back at work soon, and save more for my retirement.
But, it sure was nice to get a break inbetween.

We all work for dollars.....
There is nothing you can do about that.
And, I need them soon, again, just like everyone else.

MD Dan

My work ethic is to do any job I do as well as I possibly can. My responsibility to my family and myself is to sell that work ethic for as much money as possible.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When she is not saving lives she could be found giving spong baths, getting a soda for a visitor, etc. Is she worth 30 bucks an hour while doing these other things? Are we over-payed? Maybe. Are most non educated employees under-paid? Yes.

P

pickup

I worked hard all my life... from the age of 11 on.... reALLY !

Even with UPS.... as I understand, no one before or yet after me, can make my numbers !
But... as you all know, I been fired, for not taking a lunchbreak (taking it after work instead).

You see, klein. This is something of a constant with you. You leave out details and in this case , a very very significant one.
I think it has been established that you were not fired for the reason above. Oh yes that reason you stated above is part of the scenario of the real reason but come on, enough with the revisionist history.

satellitedriver

I will take my simplistic western work ethic over any other.
That simple ethic took my Father from abject poverty and provided a home where all of his 6 children learned that ethic.
All his children now are in the top 10% of wage earners in the USA. 3 of his Grandchildren are multi- millionaires.
I have a work ethic that is borderline ridiculous, yet I view it as ethically working.