UPS would not allow me to leave...

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
After coming in a half hour early for my shift, working my shift and then trying to leave, we were informed that if we left we would be at a hearing for Job abandonment.

We had some snow here in Ohio. What are the rules on this. Night shift guys were calling off left and right. I worked for 6.5 hrs. I was tired. I told the center manager that I was going home because I was tired and it could potentially be unsafe. I told him that they force habits down our throats, but the company would only follow them when it was convenient for them.

Needless to say I eventually got to leave. Part time supervisor on nights took care of me.

Where is this gray area in the contract that allows them to barracade us in and be threatened with our jobs?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
After coming in a half hour early for my shift, working my shift and then trying to leave, we were informed that if we left we would be at a hearing for Job abandonment.

We had some snow here in Ohio. What are the rules on this. Night shift guys were calling off left and right. I worked for 6.5 hrs. I was tired. I told the center manager that I was going home because I was tired and it could potentially be unsafe. I told him that they force habits down our throats, but the company would only follow them when it was convenient for them.

Needless to say I eventually got to leave. Part time supervisor on nights took care of me.

Where is this gray area in the contract that allows them to barracade us in and be threatened with our jobs?

Heard about that snow, Joopster. Pictures I see remind me of Denver right after our blizzard lol.

Far as I'm concerned, there is no such language. I've never personally called out for weather (largely because the times it was that bad, I didn't have to drive) but I 100% see and agree with your point. I consider what they did to you a lock-in. I believe that's illegal, isn't it? If that's what actually happened, the union should be tearing management apart. I was a helper during our blizzard but I'm told management killed the building after about two hours because it was getting so bad.

By the way, I don't know what shift this load came off but your outbounds should get a good screaming. I got a smalls bag at the Denver hub full of stuff that was supposed to go somewhere else in Ohio. WTF?!!? -Rock

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
What happened to the 5 hours and out rule?? Are you a part timer??

Yes I am a part timer. I am not familiar with the contract, although I should be I have been under it for over 5 years. This is the first time that they have actually stood in front of the doors, turning people around and sending them back to work....

From what I understand is that there is some gray area in the contract that allows UPS to do this when there is some sort of crisis...

trickpony1

You might consult your county district attorney and see what his opinion is. I'm sure you can find his phone number in the phone book.

sendagain

Thirty years ago we had a hub break down and management had to send all their feeders over to the hub I worked at. I started working the evening unload on December 23rd and worked all the way to sunrise on December 24th. Yeah, it was Christmas eve and I was exhausted, but I was also proud of rolling up my sleeves and helping people out in a tight spot. Sometimes, you have to deliver when the chips are down. If you can't do this, expect your working career to be a checkered one.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Thirty years ago we had a hub break down and management had to send all their feeders over to the hub I worked at. I started working the evening unload on December 23rd and worked all the way to sunrise on December 24th. Yeah, it was Christmas eve and I was exhausted, but I was also proud of rolling up my sleeves and helping people out in a tight spot. Sometimes, you have to deliver when the chips are down. If you can't do this, expect your working career to be a checkered one.

Maybe on any other night I would have obliged. The fact I had class at 8 am with another couple hrs. of homework is what really had me going. Yes UPS is my job, but once again, there is a life outside UPS. My reponsibility is to fulfill my shift, not multiple shifts as I am a PART-TIMER not a FULL-TIMER.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
That's usually not a problem for me, I just keep working and working and working (imagine Energizer Bunny tm), love the ovaltine, I mean overtime. But I would like to hear what contract/past practice says about it. I don't recall seeing anything in there about it, but I never specifically looked. We have a similar problem most every night here, as sort nearly always runs past "nominal" down time, so anybody who isn't paying attention to the time (never trust your supe for this) and doesn't punch out regardless of remaining workload could find they missed their last bus. Not fun, especially with no pay phones around/no cell phones without a pass etc.
By the way, I don't know what shift this load came off but your outbounds should get a good screaming. I got a smalls bag at the Denver hub full of stuff that was supposed to go somewhere else in Ohio. WTF?!!? -Rock
:blushing:
A) straight up missort/misload?
B) bag mislabeled/mistoggled for DENCO, not checked by loader?
C) my personal favorite, bag filled by package driver on his route, had old DENCO label on it and was sorted there directly instead of to small sort:lol: :lol: :lol:

Channahon

How exactly were you barricaded in the building? Were exits blocked or were you locked in room somewhere?

HazMatMan

Yes I am a part timer. I am not familiar with the contract, although I should be I have been under it for over 5 years. This is the first time that they have actually stood in front of the doors, turning people around and sending them back to work....

From what I understand is that there is some gray area in the contract that allows UPS to do this when there is some sort of crisis...

Allows UPS to do what?? in the time of crisis. hold you against your will??? If you need to go then you need to go. My understanding was that if a part-timer worked his 5 hours he could go. As for the crisis part, UPS will do anything and everything in a time of crisis, including management working to get the job done. Is there a crisis situation section in the contract I don't know about????

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Allows UPS to do what?? in the time of crisis. hold you against your will??? If you need to go then you need to go. My understanding was that if a part-timer worked his 5 hours he could go. As for the crisis part, UPS will do anything and everything in a time of crisis, including management working to get the job done. Is there a crisis situation section in the contract I don't know about????

Allow them to stand at the door and tell people they cannot leave. If you leave they were threatening action....I don't want to lose my job over it...

I don't know if there is something in the contract, that is why I am asking.

trickpony1

do the words "false arrest", "false imprisonment" or, perhaps, "kidnapping" mean anything to anyone?
call your county district attorney's office.....I bet he can define those words for you.

HazMatMan

I assume you were off the clock?? and they would not allow you to leave the building?? Call the cops!! no seriously call the police..

pt_oms

Call the police!! they should have asked in seniority order, if no one was to work, then the sups should have done the job

Channahon

Joopster, Sounds like you work in a hub in Ohio somewhere. I imagine the sort managers knew the weather would have employees calling in, unable to make it to work. Were they offering double shifts to get the next sort down? In an effort to enforce the contract, they were probably trying to get as many hourlies to work the next shift. You see, I've seen hourlies go home when asked to work the next shift and then file grievances for supervisors working, when enough hourlies were not available. Now sups hanging around the guard shack could have been to see how many employees were in the parking lot coming to work. Believe it or not most buildings have the same people parking in the same areas, or they could have been checking the weather conditions. I think to say you were barricaded is a stretch. And the advice to call the Police or cops is inappropiate, unless you were physically restrained or assaulted or had a gun to your head. Was a steward available and what did he/she do or advise the hostage employees to do?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I think to say you were barricaded is a stretch. And the advice to call the Police or cops is inappropiate, unless you were physically restrained or assaulted or had a gun to your head. Was a steward available and what did he/she do or advise the hostage employees to do?

Channa, I have nothing but the highest respect for you based on your previous posts. However, I'm afraid I disagree. He stated in his earlier post that there were sups/managers BLOCKING exit from the building. I've heard that called a lock-in and is illegal if I'm not mistaken, let alone a violation of the contract.

I'd say its 100% appropriate to suggest calling the police. I might not do it now as he was clearly allowed to leave. If I were in the situation myself, I'd probably tell the member of management to get OUT of my way or I was going to call the police for any of the reasons cited in above posts. I read an article about a year ago about a Wal-Mart employee somewhere calling the police because he/she was locked in. Police came, manager acted like best buddies with responding officers but opened the door to allow employees to leave. Worst comes to worst in this instance, officers show up, the sups/managers are humiliated in front of their subordinates and fired/transferred. -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
Maybe on any other night I would have obliged. The fact I had class at 8 am with another couple hrs. of homework is what really had me going. Yes UPS is my job, but once again, there is a life outside UPS. My reponsibility is to fulfill my shift, not multiple shifts as I am a PART-TIMER not a FULL-TIMER.

The schools didn't close down for weather?. You are epected to stay. Your union will expect you to stay. If you leave a management person will do your job and the teamsters would rather you work forced into staying then let management do the work.