UPSers are DOOMED

upsmech1

upsmech1
My local 41 voted this contract down by a VERY SMALL MARGIN. It's a little scary that people will not vote for something so important. Only a third of all memebers voted nation wide. With the up coming presidential election for the united states, how many will vote? Nine more and I'll have my thirty, I feel for those who come after us.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've gone through that language previously on this site 804. I personally think the entire section is very positive for your side. you're focusing on the part about three years. I don't believe the company initiated that language since the company in my opinion has no interest in putting loads back on the train.

If you read through the whole section you see a lot of positive language that supports everything I've said. I think you're leaders see us making many more moves where we pull loads off the train and has locked in language allowing them to be more involved in the planning stages.

wasnt there something in the last contract about not being able to lay feeder drivers off who were hired before 1997??? now they cant lay anyone off with more than three years senority....seems like better language to me. please correct me if Im wrong, just thought I saw something in the last contract or two about that.

local804

wasnt there something in the last contract about not being able to lay feeder drivers off who were hired before 1997??? now they cant lay anyone off with more than three years senority....seems like better language to me. please correct me if Im wrong, just thought I saw something in the last contract or two about that.

The old language said they would not lay off feeder drivers with 10 years"with the company"
The new language says they will not lay off feeder drivers with " more than 3 years in the FEEDER CLASSIFICATION"

Seems like better language if you dont read it correctly.
I will give you an example

Under old wording----- 0 drivers can be layed off
under new contract----25 drivers can be layed off.
ALL feeder drivers in my district ALL have 17-18 years with the company(min) and 25 feeder drivers have LESS THAN 3 YEARS IN THE FEEDER CLASSIFICATION.

W

westsideworma

As I've previously stated I would have liked to see it go up more to. But at the same time you're using worst case scenario. There is a progression that will help retention. Some will realistically be making 10:50 after 90 days and 11 after a year.

While I agree (took me 2 years to get to 11) there is a little less incentive now due to the money being paid to the union health and welfare fund (dues, initiation fee) etc that you are not going to see for a year. That will no doubt put some people off. Around here as soon as you pay your INIT FEE off you get bennies, now no matter if you pay the fee or not, no bennies for a year (from what I understand, unless this part has changed) and no family coverage for 1.5 years.

I don't know I know it doesn't affect me, but it possibly does indirectly (lack of employees). If I was union still I probably would have voted no if only due to the PT wage/benefits change. I agree the dollar jump is a nice bonus but I think the starting wage still should have been set higher. 8.50 will be below minimum wage in many states very soon.

W

westsideworma

I guess Tie, based on his own words, feels that President Reagan was a maroon too.

wait, wasn't he? kidding lol I can't even comment on him, I wasn't old enough to remember what he did/didn't do during his presidency. Other than the traffic controller strike that I read about on here. As far as presidents go the first thing I really remember was George Bush (Sr.) and the gulf war. We didn't learn about Reagan in school really, just historical ones (FDR, JFK, Teddy, Washington, Lincoln etc). Yes I'm 25, so Reagan wouldn't be in the books if he was still president while I was in school haha.

well I can say this, he wasn't much of an actor based on what I saw IMHO :wink2:

unionsteward104

CONTRACT EXPERT
I LOVE READING STUFF FROM PEOPLE THAT REALLY HAVE NO CLUE AT ALL TO WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. I BET YOU IDIOTS DID NOT ATTEND ONE INFORMATIVE MEETING ABOUT THIS CONTRACT. I CAN GUARANTEE THAT NOT 1 OF YOU HAS ANY IDEA ABOUT THE NEW PENSION RULES COMING INTO PLAY IN 2008 AND I AM POSITIVE THAT 1/2 YOU FOOLS DID NOT EVEN VOTE. YOU CONCERNED , GET OFF YOUR ASSES ATTEND SOME UNION MEETINGS AND MAKE YOURSELF HEARD. STOP COMPLAINING EVERY 5 OR 6 YEARS ABOUT A CONTRACT THAT YOU DO NOT EVEN SPEND 5 MINUTES A YEAR ON TRYING TO MAKE ANY BETTER..

IT IS NOT WHAT HAS THE UNION DONE FOR ME , BUT WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE FOR THE UNION BESIDES PAY YOUR DUES. YOU DO NOT PAY :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: FOR WHAT YOU MAKE..LETS SEE...APPROX. 70 A MONTH.....840 A YEAR...ON AVERAGE YOU PROBABLY MAKE 80,000.00 A YEAR... THAT MEANS YOU PAY APPROX. 1% OF YOUR INCOME IN DUES. YOU REALLY WANT TO HELP GO GET SOME NON UNION BATSRDS TO SIGN UP AND MAYBE WE CAN GET YOU TO START PARTICIPATING , INSTEAD OF JUST COMPLAINING. TRY USING THAT ENERGY AND BREATH ON SOMETHING WORTHWHILE. I REALLY HATE COMPLAINERS, OY UDAMN ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK.. THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER, GET OFF YOUR ASS AND PARTICIPATE...BEEN TO A MEETING LATELY... I THOUGHT SO!!!!!

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
I LOVE READING STUFF FROM PEOPLE THAT REALLY HAVE NO CLUE AT ALL TO WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. I BET YOU IDIOTS DID NOT ATTEND ONE INFORMATIVE MEETING ABOUT THIS CONTRACT. I CAN GUARANTEE THAT NOT 1 OF YOU HAS ANY IDEA ABOUT THE NEW PENSION RULES COMING INTO PLAY IN 2008 AND I AM POSITIVE THAT 1/2 YOU FOOLS DID NOT EVEN VOTE. YOU CONCERNED , GET OFF YOUR ASSES ATTEND SOME UNION MEETINGS AND MAKE YOURSELF HEARD. STOP COMPLAINING EVERY 5 OR 6 YEARS ABOUT A CONTRACT THAT YOU DO NOT EVEN SPEND 5 MINUTES A YEAR ON TRYING TO MAKE ANY BETTER..

IT IS NOT WHAT HAS THE UNION DONE FOR ME , BUT WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE FOR THE UNION BESIDES PAY YOUR DUES. YOU DO NOT PAY :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: FOR WHAT YOU MAKE..LETS SEE...APPROX. 70 A MONTH.....840 A YEAR...ON AVERAGE YOU PROBABLY MAKE 80,000.00 A YEAR... THAT MEANS YOU PAY APPROX. 1% OF YOUR INCOME IN DUES. YOU REALLY WANT TO HELP GO GET SOME NON UNION BATSRDS TO SIGN UP AND MAYBE WE CAN GET YOU TO START PARTICIPATING , INSTEAD OF JUST COMPLAINING. TRY USING THAT ENERGY AND BREATH ON SOMETHING WORTHWHILE. I REALLY HATE COMPLAINERS, OY UDAMN ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK.. THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER, GET OFF YOUR ASS AND PARTICIPATE...BEEN TO A MEETING LATELY... I THOUGHT SO!!!!!

Language is a little coarse but the man makes some good points.

Damok

Wow... I don't know what to say man - you already edited that for spelling once? Holy Moley.

Deep breaths should help.

d-rek357

WOW....YOUR PLEASANT!

A

AlaskaMike

Regardless of where the jobs come from they will become 20,000 opportunities for part-timers to become full-time. Why does it matter if it means some of them are coming from retiring employees?

Not quite true. If UPS determines the business has grown enough, then these jobs will be created. The last time the company made this promise (1990's) they didn't create a single new full-time job from part time positions until the union sued them in court and a judge forced the company to. These 20,000 new jobs are all dependent on UPS growing. And who tells us the company has grown? UPS! "Opportunities to become full-time" LOL. Even the wording is something to make a weasel proud. When my sup tells you to go get a job at WalMart if you don't like what's going on, does that count as an "opportunity to become full-time?" LOL

Ibt804Hammer

Not quite true. If UPS determines the business has grown enough, then these jobs will be created. The last time the company made this promise (1990's) they didn't create a single new full-time job from part time positions until the union sued them in court and a judge forced the company to. These 20,000 new jobs are all dependent on UPS growing. And who tells us the company has grown? UPS! "Opportunities to become full-time" LOL. Even the wording is something to make a weasel proud. When my sup tells you to go get a job at WalMart if you don't like what's going on, does that count as an "opportunity to become full-time?" LOL

lol

govols019

You smell that?
Language is a little coarse but the man makes some good points.

Odd how you will do your best to run off new posters who felt the contract was sub par yet you will embrace another new poster with the writing skill of a two year old just because he shares your views.

tieguy

Banned
Odd how you will do your best to run off new posters who felt the contract was sub par yet you will embrace another new poster with the writing skill of a two year old just because he shares your views.

Actually that was a tongue in cheek response to his coarse blistering but make it what you want.

raceanoncr

This post alone would make me not participate, vote or even quit the Teamsters.

For your info, Union, I have attended every general membership meeting for several yrs, even after getting into town from a lay-down run on Sunday morning and heading straight to the hall.

I walked the line during '97.

I attended every proposal meeting last year for this contract, the last contract and the contract before that. I had a list of proposals that I made known and insisted the BAs write down.

As I've posted before on here, when the on-line version of the "new" contract was posted, I down-loaded and printed all 37 pages to take to the next meeting so I could follow along and ask questions.

I listened to all the propoganda UPS and Teamsters both spewed out in the next few weeks.

I read every piece that was mailed to me.

I calculated my own personal situation to see what the long and short-term affects would be.

I made a decision and voted well within the allotted time.

I see your point, that everybody talks big but will not act, but beating em with a stick ain't gonna make em come around. That kinda talk is old-school Teamster and has no place in todays world.

Lighten up, man.

browned out

By the end of this contract Walmart will pay more than half of UPS jobs.

I might quit so I can be a greeter. Instead of don't talk to the customers; I can talk to them as they walk in.

705red

Browncafe Steward
step up to the plate. I know I would not want the job. You guys give your union leaders more grief then you do management.
Maybe in your part of the country this might be true, but here management would disagree with you on your statement. What you consider grief alot of us consider it to be accountability. Now i understand that you cant make all fo the people happy, when you negioate a contract you have to take into account the age groups. The 20s to 30 year olds are worried about the money, the 30 to 40 years olds are worried about the benefits and the older employees are worried about retirement. One would say that the older employees had their voices heard over the rest this time.

I just hope that one day we can elect a group thats in it for the love of it and not the money. Here i see the younger agents going above and beyond and you can see the fire in these guys which spreads to the stewards. What im saying is that these are the guys with the most to lose. If they lose an election they are right back working with us at the companys mercy at that point. But the older agents either have a different style or have lost the fight in them. Maybe older isnt better, maybe we need to elect a group of younger teamsters who love representing the contracts and members. Guys and gals that are not in it for the cash.