UPSPAC

oldngray

nowhere special
I quit donating when I tried to help a fellow driver who just lost his wife to cancer. Tried to get the company to allow us to donate sick days so he could take care of his kids. It was shut down by the DM and instead he tried to get me to have everyone donate through united way to a charity of the driver's choice.

From then on I say every time. "I refuse to perpetuate the myth that UPS cares about people." And I walk away.
Sounds familiar. We had a driver who was a big supporter and worked as one of their mouthpieces. When his family needed help they wouldn't do anything for him.

When we had one of our co-workers lose someone we just passed the hat and donated cash. It was about helping and not scoring points with anyone else.

DiadesSuk

You guys are replaced easier than I am. ;)

Either by going over seas or H1B1. Especially since I can guarantee every one of you is crying on that survey about how you should be able to work from home. Lol
2 separate words: PVD and UberEat Model. Theres enough college kids and adults that made not so stellar life choices wanting to make $21 an hour with horrible benefits.

542thruNthru

2 separate words: PVD and UberEat Model. Theres enough college kids and adults that made not so stellar life choices wanting to make $21 an hour with horrible benefits.
You really dont know our jobs do you lol.

Even Amazon moved quickly away from that model.

542thruNthru

lol Amazon couldnt pull it off because they wouldnt pay enough lol..
Really... Yet they pay nearly the same pay to contracted employees that drive big blue vans, trucks and trucks with lift gates.

Hey I get it you didn't like being told you're replaceable. No one does, but come on man you can come up with a better argument than the weak Uber one .. hell next you'll say drones are going to take my job. :)

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Hey guys, I know I am seeing a lot of back-and-forth on this topic, but I really need to push back and raise some red flags here. Having an on-site office presence foundational to our ability to drive efficiencies in a corporate landscape. It is in our DNA. Sure, there is no 'one size fits all' or silver bullet and some are just boilerplate solutions, leveraged to the hilt and really only keeping us at a 30,000-foot-view of things. Being on-site, however, really allow us to get better granularity, find better directional-indicators, or loop back and dive deep into some critical issues on a go-forward basis.

I think if you all start spending more time in the office gain, you'll find yourself trending toward the positive, but you'll have to keep an eye on the puck. Gut through it, reduce thrash, and let's stay in lock-step on this. Yes, we will synergize!

What's the root cause of the hatred of Corporate office spaces? I'll put my layman's hat on and guess that it comes from movies such as Office Space and Dilbert cartoons. But we all know that these are fictional spaces, and real office spaces allow us to touch base in a much more efficient manner.

I have to time-box this comment, as I have a hard-stop in a moment when I will have to jump onto a call. So, just one more point that I want to cover-off on: let's socialize the idea of having more office presence and loop back to see whether we're being more impactful. From a management standpoint, I think that we can get the traction to do it.

So, net/net, ignore the naysayers, sidebar the folks that are stuck in the weeds, and don't waste cycles or bandwidth on folks that don't align strongly with this mission. Try it out, and we'll have another touch point in a little while to see if we've moved the needle. Remember, our north star hasn't changed. We're still championing our core values remotely and we will only do it better in person.

If you need me, I will be online again in a bit.

542thruNthru

Hey guys, I know I am seeing a lot of back-and-forth on this topic, but I really need to push back and raise some red flags here. Having an on-site office presence foundational to our ability to drive efficiencies in a corporate landscape. It is in our DNA. Sure, there is no 'one size fits all' or silver bullet and some are just boilerplate solutions, leveraged to the hilt and really only keeping us at a 30,000-foot-view of things. Being on-site, however, really allow us to get better granularity, find better directional-indicators, or loop back and dive deep into some critical issues on a go-forward basis.

I think if you all start spending more time in the office gain, you'll find yourself trending toward the positive, but you'll have to keep an eye on the puck. Gut through it, reduce thrash, and let's stay in lock-step on this. Yes, we will synergize!

What's the root cause of the hatred of Corporate office spaces? I'll put my layman's hat on and guess that it comes from movies such as Office Space and Dilbert cartoons. But we all know that these are fictional spaces, and real office spaces allow us to touch base in a much more efficient manner.

I have to time-box this comment, as I have a hard-stop in a moment when I will have to jump onto a call. So, just one more point that I want to cover-off on: let's socialize the idea of having more office presence and loop back to see whether we're being more impactful. From a management standpoint, I think that we can get the traction to do it.

So, net/net, ignore the naysayers, sidebar the folks that are stuck in the weeds, and don't waste cycles or bandwidth on folks that don't align strongly with this mission. Try it out, and we'll have another touch point in a little while to see if we've moved the needle. Remember, our north star hasn't changed. We're still championing our core values remotely and we will only do it better in person.

38B41C07-8100-46DB-92E8-7A09A0E9629C.gif

Ghost in the Darkness

Its a test. If you give nothing its a sign that you may be straying from the submissive yes man or woman that they want you to be. Give if you want... say no if you don't want to. Sometimes you have to play the game wether you want to or not. If you truly have had enough you will fight back, if not you will keep opening your wallet when they request you to do so.

DiadesSuk

From one corp guy to another, is this message brought to us by Carol? The reason I dont want to go back to the office is because I've been able to watch my new born grow up into a 2 year old. Got to see the first walks, go to see her say her colors and recite her numbers. Im not spending 2 hours of my day in rush hour traffic to get to an office that has mediocre cafeteria, over priced crappy food with someone who hates their job preparing it for me..

I'm also not sucked into meeting rooms every 5 minutes to sit around a table and get nothing accomplished.. Lets not forget, while i think the covid thing is over hyped, there's corporate ass kissers that come to work day in and day out sicker than piss sitting next to us, blowing their nose next to us and touching the same things we touch... I don't even care about the vaccines.. At this rate, once we're introduced back to that environment, people are going to get sick, infected and not one person is going to give as piss that they woke up this morning with a 100degree temperature and vomiting out their ass...

I love your enthusiasm but lets be real, either corp starts embracing the remote methodology or the people that help this company innovate are going to pack up and leave for start up's that will. And dont argue that fact, we're seeing it all through IT. The younger employees fresh from college are cleaning out their desks as we type this. IT jobs are dime a dozen right now and UPS is just NOW starting to remove the silly burdens that these people argued about upon being hired..

Covid made campuses useless... Sell all of them, buy single floor locations specifically for F2F meetings and let people spend more time working remote than traveling to a stupid office.. The money i save from gas, time and eating overpriced crappy food, id gladly let you keep that salary raise every year... Even more so now that the president has caused gas to hit $3.00 again lol..

hangin455

30 years ago we got presentation from a Division MGR on why we should all donate to UPSPAC. At the end of the presentation he stated with some amazement that only 20% of Division Mgr and up were donating. It made this lowly sup wonder why I was expected to donate when someone making twice as much was not. Just to keep the wolves at bay I gave $1 a year just so I showed participation.

DiadesSuk

30 years ago we got presentation from a Division MGR on why we should all donate to UPSPAC. At the end of the presentation he stated with some amazement that only 20% of Division Mgr and up were donating. It made this lowly sup wonder why I was expected to donate when someone making twice as much was not. Just to keep the wolves at bay I gave $1 a year just so I showed participation.
The %'s requested over a FT Sup are astonishing lol.. I dont see myself donating $1000's to this at any point in my career lol..

DiadesSuk

Its a test. If you give nothing its a sign that you may be straying from the submissive yes man or woman that they want you to be. Give if you want... say no if you don't want to. Sometimes you have to play the game wether you want to or not. If you truly have had enough you will fight back, if not you will keep opening your wallet when they request you to do so.
It would be different if they made it optional. As much as its "promoted as being optional" not contributing will kill your career. End of story. I wonder out of all of those who were forced RSAP made it a point to not contribute. There's a value at UPS that you must be a part of the team and if you're not, you shouldnt be here. When VSAP was triggered that same ideology was pondered as if you took the money to leave they were simply weeding out those not dedicated to UPS's success. Just a hard pill to swallow.

rod

Retired 22 years
We were such a-holes that UPS more or less gave up on trying to get us to donate to United Way. One of our drivers adult kids had a real bad experience dealing with United Way when he needed some help. After we heard that story damn near every hourly said friend United Way.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Lol.